LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I haven't started on this month's book yet because I'm in the middle of another 2:
[1] Hell Bay by Sam Llewellyn, "the classic novel of the Isles of Scilly" from 1829 - 'a skilful interweaving of historical fact, fiction, and long-standing island rumour'
[2] Wanderlust by Rebecca Solnit, "a history of walking" - 'It is about time and space and consciousness of the world as much as about putting one foot in front of the other'​

But meanwhile, I've noticed a few people on this thread saying they wouldn't normally read John Grisham. If you're not 'into' legal dramas then I'm not surprised! though I think he writes them well. However he regularly comes up with something quite different and these 'alternate' books are worth exploring. Also - if you have a child who likes stories which treat children with respect and as though they have intelligence, Grisham has a series of legal drama CHILDREN's books which are extremely good - the central character is 13 year old Theodore Boone and the books deal with Theo coming to terms with the adult world that surrounds him, in grown-up language which is skillfully used to ensure that a youngster - as well as an adult - will understand what's going on and the principles of law and justice involved in the tale.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I am one of those that have never read John Grisham! No idea why not as I really enjoy legal dramas but for some reason I just never have?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am one of those that have never read John Grisham! No idea why not as I really enjoy legal dramas but for some reason I just never have?
You're missing out! Some are obviously better than others, and after all this time there's sometimes a bit of a formulaic 'sameness' getting into some of them; but just try one or two and you could get hooked!
But I think that's why his 'alternate' novels are so good - he breaks his own mould and uses 'spare' information from his researches to create something quite different and refreshing.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Even if it were a legal drama which I hate, I would read the book club choice.

I think one of the best things about book clubs and discussions is that you 'stretch' your mind and read books which you would normally by-pass.. Always something learned .. and never too old to learn.

I would even read a Barbara Cartland novel if it were next month's choice ..... but I pray it won't be. :Eeek::pray2::cooler::yawn2:

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I haven't started reading the Painted House yet either because I'm reading a Ruth Rendell. When I've finished that I'll get on to it.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I would even read a Barbara Cartland novel if it were next month's choice ..... but I pray it won't be. :Eeek::pray2::cooler::yawn2:
Funny you should say that .....

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Welcome, Ginny @Teasy2007 :)
You're not too late to read & review our October book 'Touching the Void' if you want to, or just dive in with November's 'A Painted House' (y)
Have you been in a book club before? I hadn't, so I'm just making up my contribution, but happily - as with all things here on FUN - it seems that Anything Goes :LOL:

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Even if it were a legal drama which I hate, I would read the book club choice.

I think one of the best things about book clubs and discussions is that you 'stretch' your mind and read books which you would normally by-pass.. Always something learned .. and never too old to learn.

Joy, I attempted to read a Barbara Cartland many years ago after reading the sales figures for her books. Don't think I could ever read a whole one, so to speak.

John Grisham. A Painted House, I read this a few years ago. It is not at all like his other books. I will read it again and offer my opinion but not looking forward to it. .

For those who haven't read his other books choose the older ones and stick with them. He is an author who builds a background, a plot and a main character sometimes for a third of the book. Seems very tedious, but it all comes together, they become page turners. The sort of books that when the end arrives you feel a little sad that the characters are leaving your life.

Anne

Reactions: CWH

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy, I attempted to read a Barbara Cartland many years ago after reading the sales figures for her books. Don't think I could ever read a whole one, so to speak.

John Grisham. A Painted House, I read this a few years ago. It is not at all like his other books. I will read it again and offer my opinion but not looking forward to it. .

For those who haven't read his other books choose the older ones and stick with them. He is an author who builds a background, a plot and a main character sometimes for a third of the book. Seems very tedious, but it all comes together, they become page turners. The sort of books that when the end arrives you feel a little sad that the characters are leaving your life.

Anne

Thanks Anne. It arrived today from Amazon. :)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I'll jump in with Painted House, I've read most of John Grisham's books, including Painted House in the past, it will be nice to catch up with it again.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
The Book Club sounds interesting,can I join ?
You certainly can join and are very welcome. October we read Touching the Void and November we are reading John Grisham A Painted House. If you've read Touching the void it would be great to get your views or just start Novembers.
Loren

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
I haven't read Touching the Void so will start with November's book.
A Book Club is a new experience for me,look forward to reading the books suggested.
Will order the November book from Amazon later.
Lesley

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Of course .. more the merrier. I started the John Grisham book today .. not riveted yet but can see I may be in a couple more chapters. :)
Are you the first to start the book Joy???:eek: I do hope you like it.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I joined this but sorry can't get around to reading Touching the Void as I can't borrow it from the library. However, I do have the John Grisham book on order at my library so count me back in.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Looking forward to reading it. I help run a book club where we live, best discussions are when we don't all like the book !

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I'm interested in joining but am also in the village book club and not sure I want to commit to reading two different book club books.....it's the timid factor and having time to read the books I choose to read too. So am dithering. Touching The Void sounds interesting. Might get it whether I join or not.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi everyone.
Just received a notification from Amazon. Rosa's gold is on offer for £1 until 23.59 on 30th November. Thought this would be a good book for us to read in December. What do you all think? This is the description :
Description
Product Description

Nicole Sutton’s world has been turned upside down. Sixteen and suffering the fallout of a devastating family tragedy, she is forced to move away from her London home to the quiet town of Henley—and a new life she never wanted nor expected.

In the dusty cellar of her strange new house, Nicole stumbles upon a worn old journal left behind by a previous occupant. Inside, through the eyes of a soldier named Mac, she finds herself drawn into a brutally honest memoir of the horrors of war and Auschwitz—and of the life and love Mac had to leave behind.

The more Nicole reads, the more she is able to make sense of her own troubles. Because Mac’s story is so much more than a journal: it is the story of a family fighting for survival in the darkest days of humanity, of hope in the face of persecution. And then there’s the buried gold…

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So can I order it today then .. are we going with it? :)

Might as well order whilst on offer?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not a book I'd choose from the synopsis, so it would be good for me. I'm happy to go with it.
Also I read something of a similar nature recently (picked it up from a campsite somewhere) and found it surprisingly fascinating - "Slapton Sands" by Francis Cottam
Amazon product ASIN B008YCVIMA
Anyway, Rosa's Gold is now in my Kindle store on my lap-top!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back