LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think I agree with you - it depends on how you interpret 'god/ God'. I have two SiL's who are both priests, and neither of them believe that there is a 'being' which we call 'god', but that 'god-ness' is an internal sense of rightness and community - or, as you say, strength.

That is interesting. Strange day for me today .. would love to discuss with them their views on souls or energy surviving after death. Must be really interesting having them in the family.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That is interesting. Strange day for me today .. would love to discuss with them their views on souls or energy surviving after death. Must be really interesting having them in the family.
It is interesting - and a bit challenging too sometimes!
I'll be seeing one of them in the next few days so if you like I can ask her if she'd like to have a conversation with you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for tagging me @movan not making any promises.

I used to read all the time until a couple of years ago when I finally admitted to myself that I needed to wear specs. Reading hasn't been the pleasure it used to be since then.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you .. that would be good .. but not just at the moment .. going through difficult emotional period at the moment with one thing and another ... relevant to my question. Thank you though .. definitely of interest. :) @CWH

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Well here goes .....

I didn't enjoy the first few chapters as I thought it lacked descriptions of the surroundings and as a non climber I didn't understand some of the climbing jargon therefore without the drama and description I felt it a slow read.

Joe and Simon were so different in character and although experienced climbers their immaturity and hung-ho style before the accident shone through clearly. 2 young men determined to conquer a mountain Sioux proper planning or at times care for safety. A typical "I can do anything and accidents are something that happens to someone else" attitude. I think we all had that when we were younger but then life's experiences often change us.

I felt before the accident they were 2 people climbing quite independently but after the accident they were forced to work as a team with Simon clearly becoming the leader. Simin cutting the rope saved both their lives and had he not had the courage and self preservation to do it, I think there would have been a more serious accident probably killing both of them because I don't think Joe would have cut it. Until this point Simon was by far the stronger person. Joe then finding himself alone found his own inner strength to lead himself to safety. The voices in his head I believe were his guardian angel/inner strength/subconscious (believe what you like) but strangely as soon as he got back to camp and the safety of the others he stopped hearing the voices and reverted back to being needy with Simon clearly stepping up to the mark again.

I great read overall and a book I would probably not have read out of choice but 1 I would definitely recommend to others. I thoroughly enjoyed the roller coaster of emotions I was put through.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
A typical "I can do anything and accidents are something that happens to someone else" attitude.
Do you not think this attitude is essential for this kind of enterprise? (I agree though that their planning seems to have been a bit lacking!)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
tional struggle, and both are candid about their changing feelings towards each other: guilt, blame, finally enduring friendship; and the certainty of death stalking their descent from the mountain adds a piquancy which ensured that a film would follow publication of the book.

You're absolutely right about their changing feelings which is probably because of the desperate position they found themselves in.

@movan I think you're right and don't think Joe would have cut the rope as at the time he was playing the victim and needed to be lead by Simon. I also think he never blamed Simon because of his frame of mind at the time.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Do you not think this attitude is essential for this kind of enterprise? (I agree though that their planning seems to have been a bit lacking!)
Yes I think it is. the total belief that something previously unconquered is achievable is what separates these people from the majority. It is the same belief that doctors and scientist need to continue striving to find cures for deseases such as cancer, MS, etc and where would we be if it wasn't for incredible people like this in the world. People who believe anything is possible!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
don't think Joe would have cut the rope
I struggle with this one: is it easier to cut the rope when it means you cause someone to die, but you can then walk away; or when it means you'll fall to your death? - sounds straightforward, but humans are complex and I think we mostly HOPE that we'd "do the right thing" - but would we? I just hope I'm never in a position to find out!

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I struggle with this one: is it easier to cut the rope when it means you can then walk away, or when it means you'll fall to your death? - sounds straightforward, but humans are complex and I think we mostly HOPE that we'd "do the right thing" - but would we? I just hope I'm never in a position to find out!
Never looked at it that way and you're right about hoping to never be in this position.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Am I Right in thinking this Grisham book is the 2001 release:love: If so I have read it but as with so many books I find the second read is much better

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
I have just ordered The Painted House from my library, I read loads but have never joined a book club, we shall see!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Am I Right in thinking this Grisham book is the 2001 release:love: If so I have read it but as with so many books I find the second read is much better

I think so Portland. We tend to suggest books for the month which are not particularly new so that they can be ordered cheaply from Kindle or Amazon, for example. It makes your read books which you would not normally choose @Indy259 .. I normally avoid John Grisham like the plague .. wasted so many hours trying to read him and given up so looking forward to trying this as will HAVE to complete it to comment at the end. :)

New members please remember when you finish the book don't comment until the end of the month what you think .. in case someone still reading and it gives the end away. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
MORE REVIEWS AND COMMENTS PLEASE on Touching the Void

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All as I said on the other thread I've downloaded the John Grisham book from the library. I can't start it yet though because I'm in the middle of reading a Ruth Rendell. I need to put a bit more time aside for reading.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi All as I said on the other thread I've downloaded the John Grisham book from the library. I can't start it yet though because I'm in the middle of reading a Ruth Rendell. I need to put a bit more time aside for reading.
I've just got to finish book4 of my Jason Bourne books. I downloaded the whole set so feel compelled to read them. I loved the movies but OMG the books are awful to read! 4 chapters left of this one, I think then I'll start the John Gresham book.

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Touching The Void

I am not comfortable reading factual stuff based on someone putting their life on the line for no other reason than a thrill.

Despite the authors impressive style of writing, edge of the seat one minute, tear inducing the next, my overwhelming thoughts were for their mothers.

My opinion of the rope cutting, self preservation would be at the forefront of most people's thoughts. If a loved one was at risk, your child or parent it would be a completely different ball game. They are an extension of yourself, I think your survival instinct would include them. The rope would be far more likely to stay intact. Umbilical cord so to speak.

Joe's journey down the mountain to a place of safety and the conversations with his other self are really well described.
I think this is a process the mind goes through when the flesh is getting weak and death is creeping ever closer. I base this opinion on personal experience and conversations with others who have had physically traumatic experiences.

All in all, it was a good read. I would rather it had been work of fiction.

I truly believe that life is too precious to challenge nature for fun.

Anne

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
the conversations with his other self
I think that's a brilliant way of describing it Anne. And I like your explanation too (not that I 'like' that you and others have had traumatic experiences of course...)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a male friend from years ago who went more like difficul fell walking than mountain climbing with a group of male friends ... the arrangement was that as they all walked at different speeds they would meet in the local pub when they reached their destination at the other side of the hills.

My friend and one other got left behind. It started to go dark .. one of them fell down a cliff edge and broke his leg. Jim could not reach him. He sat with him shouting encouragement and hoping someone would come by who could go for help..(no mobile phones in those days).

No-one came and a mist fell. It was pitch black and Jim set off to get help .. he wandered for ages as he couldn't see a foot in front of him
Long story short .. he eventually got to the bottom .. and he too needed medical attention. The shock came when the emergency service found his friend .. he was dead. Jim could not and still cannot talk about it. It affected him for life. A tv programme was made and it was inclusive of this.

I agree Anne @archie2000 I get angry too. I cannot see the sense in some pastimes that result in others, emergency teams, having to then risk their lives.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Finished my Jason Bourne book so will start reading A Painted House tonight. Looking forward to it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back