LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As Jim says .. maybe new thread per book and list of members on first post?

Then choose in order? This is just a suggestion .. I don't want to take over.

So the new thread Rosa's Gold .. December read would start

JIM ..october
CWH .. November
Allan and Loren .. December
THE ABOVE ALREADY READ ..Discussions still open and welcomed

Portland ..January 2017
Hills and Glenns ..February
Jenben .. March
Archie 2000 ..April
Cat53 ..May
Dizzy Izzy.. June
Indy 259..July
Jandek..August
Teasy2007 ..September
Movan.. october
Jumartoo ..November
Rolly .. December
The Old Man ..January2018
mjltigger ..February 2018
John Laidler . March 2018
Tick59... April 2018
Karlc ..May 2018
Kcy ..June 2018
Motorhome mart ..July 2018
Irnbru .. August 2018

Apologies if missed anybody out. If you ever decide NOT to be in the club please let us know asap and we can then move everybody up the list once. New members will be added to the BOTTOM of the list .. what do you think?

If you think this a good idea .. then Allan and Lauren need to start a new thread for Rosa's Gold AND Copy the above list at the start of the thread.
Portland needs to start thinking quickly and tell us of the January book ON THIS THREAD THAT WILL BECOME THE GENERAL BOOK CLUB THREAD FOR IDEAS, QUESTIONS ETC.

This is only a suggestion. Xxxx

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
I had a problem starting A Painted House however I carried on and quite enjoyed it. I knew nothing about cotton picking or the hard life of the families who worked the land.
Luke was a 7 year old child who had to grow up quickly seeing things he had no understanding about, as @Hils and Glenns mentioned it was a snapshot of cotton picking and six weeks of very hard work, woven in was down time and the interaction between Hill people and the Mexicans together with the local community.
I'm not sure if I will read another book by John Grisham but I'm pleased I did finish this one.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had a problem starting A Painted House however I carried on and quite enjoyed it. I knew nothing about cotton picking or the hard life of the families who worked the land.
Luke was a 7 year old child who had to grow up quickly seeing things he had no understanding about, as @Hils and Glenns mentioned it was a snapshot of cotton picking and six weeks of very hard work, woven in was down time and the interaction between Hill people and the Mexicans together with the local community.
I'm not sure if I will read another book by John Grisham but I'm pleased I did finish this one.
I think that CWH should give us additional Funster badges .. I FINISHED A JOHN GRISHAM BOOK

;) @CWH :lips:x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The Lady at our Library van says Rosa's Gold is not available. any cheap alternatives? Don't ave a Kindle!! DON'T want one either.:p:p
You don't need to have a kindle, I don't have one, but you can download a kindle reader onto your android or apple lappy. It's free but you need to have an Amazon log-in.
Google:
kindleforPC

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think that CWH should give us additional Funster badges .. I FINISHED A JOHN GRISHAM BOOK

;) @CWH :lips:x
Well done chuck! - here you are!
freestickers.jpg
freestickers.jpg
freestickers.jpg
freestickers.jpg

Remember most of his books are lawyer-based, he does the occasional one-offs like this that are totally different.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

JIM ..october
CWH .. November

Portland ..January 2017
Jenben .. March
Archie 2000 ..April
Cat53 ..May
Dizzy Izzy.. June
Indy 259..July
Jandek..August
Teasy2007 ..September
Movan.. october
Jumartoo ..November
Rolly .. December
Tick59... April 2018
Karlc ..May 2018
Kcy ..June 2018
Irnbru .. August 2018

Apologies if missed anybody out. If you ever decide NOT to be in the club please let us know asap and we can then move everybody up the list once. New members will be added to the BOTTOM of the list .. what do you think?

If you think this a good idea .. then Allan and Lauren need to start a new thread for Rosa's Gold AND Copy the above list at the start of the thread.
Portland needs to start thinking quickly and tell us of the January book ON THIS THREAD THAT WILL BECOME THE GENERAL BOOK CLUB THREAD FOR IDEAS, QUESTIONS ETC.

There's a "Group" called Reviews & Rambles of Movie Book &TV Shows - maybe a discussion per book put in there, with a 'notice' of the chosen book in the U-shaped Lounge at the start of the month? - then it would probably be straightforward to do the chooser list?
Link Removed

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
I too enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.
I thought it gave us a real insight into the lives of cotton farmers and cotton pickers in 1950s America,although in many ways it could have been describing life in a much earlier decade.
It's a snapshot of a couple of months in a young boy's life with Luke watching his parents and grandparents claw a living from the land,whilst knowing that one day he will escape this.It is also a time when Luke's is a bit too curious for his own good, leading him to witness a murder,birth and the female body.I think you feel a little sorry for Luke,seeing more than a boy of his age should and having to keep secrets.
I do feel the book leaves us with a lot of unanswered questions but maybe that was to pave the way for a sequell?

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You joining our book club Sandra? The more opinions the better.
You must be having a laugh. :LOL:
I'm too busy keeping up with Fun. Thats as far as me and reading goes though I will buy a few womens mags if going on travels.

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever

JIM ..october
CWH .. November

Portland ..January 2017
Jenben .. March
Archie 2000 ..April
Cat53 ..May
Dizzy Izzy.. June
Indy 259..July
Jandek..August
Teasy2007 ..September
Movan.. october
Jumartoo ..November
Rolly .. December
Tick59... April 2018
Karlc ..May 2018
Kcy ..June 2018
Irnbru .. August 2018

Sounds like a good idea.
How far ahead do you think we need to give our choice of book so that everyone can get a copy? A month?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sounds like a good idea.
How far ahead do you think we need to give our choice of book so that everyone can get a copy? A month?
Hi Izzy .. yes I agree. So for example the person doing January book should start the thread now saying which book .. copy and paste the list but put a note 'please don't comment on this book till the end of January in case others are still reading it'.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

JIM ..october
CWH .. November

Portland ..January 2017
Jenben .. March
Archie 2000 ..April
Cat53 ..May
Dizzy Izzy.. June
Indy 259..July
Jandek..August
Teasy2007 ..September
Movan.. october
Jumartoo ..November
Rolly .. December
Tick59... April 2018
Karlc ..May 2018
Kcy ..June 2018

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Allan and Loren .. can you start a new thread please if that the way we are going, as Jim suggests ...

Good news my library has got the December book in ...

@Portland can you read all the above posts and see what you think as you are next on the list.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like a good plan @movan , will.go away and find something to read that isn't a silly price.:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There's a "Group" called Reviews & Rambles of Movie Book &TV Shows - maybe a discussion per book put in there, with a 'notice' of the chosen book in the U-shaped Lounge at the start of the month? - then it would probably be straightforward to do the chooser list?
Link Removed
Well despite all the info above I've only just realised that this thread isn't in U-Shaped Lounge! duh... So please ignore my post about the Group that I've just quoted. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi everyone,
Great idea to start a new thread each month. I'll start a December thread after this for the new book. Anyone with reviews on the first couple of books can add to this thread.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I've started a new thread for December and thanks to Joy @movan started with a list of the members and added the rules below so each month we can add or remove members as necessary and copy and paste this to each new thread. I'm really enjoying the book club and all the different view points.

Reactions: CWH

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've started a new thread for December and thanks to Joy @movan started with a list of the members and added the rules below so each month we can add or remove members as necessary and copy and paste this to each new thread. I'm really enjoying the book club and all the different view points.

Me too... fingers crossed it really takes off. I think it will be easier as we go along and we get into the routine. Thank you for starting the club up again. :)

Reactions: CWH

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Portland please can you let us know your January choice in here please asap. Some of us have to wait weeks for the library to get the books in. Many thanks. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Portland has chosen Animal Farm for the January book. .. a classic. He has started a thread for it when the time comes and we have three weeks before Christmas to get it... 3 weeks aaaaagh.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
That'll take me back ! Did it for O level about 44 years ago

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi after much mulling I've decided to go for a good laugh to cheer up February. So its Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. I hope everyone else finds it as funny as I do.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I've never read it, or watched it, so I'm looking forward to a bit of light entertainment!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Funny how you forget things from your youth.

Up to chapter four this time round I felt like I was reading a brilliant advert for vegetarianism :) ....

Enjoying the book.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Allan & Loren can you add Clive please to the bookclub list and put him on the list for whatever month is his choice at the base of the list.... My computer keeps cutting me off after every post ... Thank you. :(

@Clive do you have the same avatar as @barsteward or are they BOTH you?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back