French lorry drivers strike in December (1 Viewer)

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
As you say that was a few years ago. With the massive shortage of LGV drivers these days that kind of threat wouldn't carry any weight. Not condoning strike action, just saying.
It's not so much getting drivers ,it's getting quality HGV drivers and the rates for hauliers is so low you just can't pay an above average wage. Back to the topic there is only a small percentage of owner drivers and small hauliers in the UK so can't really make an impact or afford to strike because the big logistics firms will just absorb the costs and take more work off them.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
For those of you travelling to/through France, here's the lastest update on fuel from yesterday.

Many petrol stations have run out of fuel due to protests over plans to end a tax break for fuel used on building sites – Brittany is especially affected.

As this map organised by local Breton newspaper Le Télégramme shows, most of the petrol stations in the region have run out of all or some kinds of fuel (red indicates no fuel, orange indicates only certain kinds, and black means the station still has fuel).

1575457551823.png

From: https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...cross-France-due-to-diesel-tax-break-protests

Mick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To be on the safe side I'll have to buy another jerry can:rolleyes: I know I can run right through France but the unknown is now having roof bars & a box on. Annoying when I have 2 at home on the back of the MH.:xsad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I was near St Malo this morning, tried 4 stations couldn't get fuel, managed to get into Normandy on the remaining fumes and was able to fill up on the motorway, for once I didn't mind the additional cost. Of the 4 stations two had petrol but no diesel the other two had nothing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure what to do now! Our Globecar had a long range 120 litre fuel tank, but our Carthago only has the standard 90 litre ... I've shoved a fuel can in with 5 litres of diesel in just in case but that's not gonna be enough to get us through France. :(

Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
Get over I'm sure you will find somewhere we filled up in Ruffec yesterday if you get stuck in France it ain't bad is it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Get over I'm sure you will find somewhere we filled up in Ruffec yesterday if you get stuck in France it ain't bad is it.
Oh we are definitely going to 'get over' :giggle: ... other than a short stop at a MH show in October (which cost us a lot of money as we bought a new MH we didn't intend to!) we haven't been away since early January so NOT going is not an option ... we love France but it's not necessarily the best place for warmer weather ... :cold:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure what to do now! Our Globecar had a long range 120 litre fuel tank, but our Carthago only has the standard 90 litre ... I've shoved a fuel can in with 5 litres of diesel in just in case ....

Buy a 20 litre Jerry can! We’re carrying two of those, a 10 litre and two 5 litre cans with us! And we average only about 22mpg!

I've shoved a fuel can in with 5 litres of diesel in just in case but that's not gonna be enough to get us through France. :(

It will if you go via Belgium:xrofl:

Ian

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have just come down through France started Sunday no problems at all didn’t see any signs of shortages either? crossed into Spain this morning price of diesel is a lot better here.?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Buy a 20 litre Jerry can! We’re carrying two of those, a 10 litre and two 5 litre cans with us! And we average only about 22mpg!
Funnily enough I was having this very discussion with hubby as we also have a 20 litre one which we could use too ... its not the cost of the fuel, its not being able to get it that's a concern, now that we've uprated the rear axle we can carry the extra weight, its just whether we need to.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Funnily enough I was having this very discussion with hubby as we also have a 20 litre one which we could use too ... its not the cost of the fuel, its not being able to get it that's a concern, now that we've uprated the rear axle we can carry the extra weight, its just whether we need to.

You will only know the answer to that when you’re in France and your tank is nearing empty after unsuccessfully trying a few fuel stations.

Would you have more regrets taking it with you and not needing it or leaving it behind when it might have helped?

Ian

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
@Minxy Girl, you could avoid most of France. Go via germany, Switzerland then italy. one tank should get you past the French med coast down into spain. not ideal just an idea

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You will only know the answer to that when you’re in France and your tank is nearing empty after unsuccessfully trying a few fuel stations.

Would you have more regrets taking it with you and not needing it or leaving it behind when it might have helped?

Ian
Yup, I know ... I just don't like carrying fuel inside (albeit in the garage), will make the decision on Saturday when we do the final packing.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Eurotunnel have restrictions on the amount of spare fuel that can be carried. We have never been asked or searched on the way out, but not sure if they are really bothered. We always carry a couple of gallon. We also have a tank full stored in France, just in case.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Just checked on Eurotunnel site.
Maximum size - 10 litres - max quantity 3 off
Maximum size - 20 litres - max quantity 1 off.
No more than 30 litres in total.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
The fuel problems seem to be largely confined to north and west France so if you're travelling down through the middle you shouldn't have any problems. A full tank at the Channel should get most MHs south of Paris.
Here is a website showing stations affected - not the best presentation but you'll get the idea :smiley:

Fuel stations map

An app for your phone, Essence&Co, provides the same info but detail is better.

Deleted User
Forget fuel, where is France today? Just drove up from Utah beach to Calais and the roads are empty, very spooky

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yup, I know ... I just don't like carrying fuel inside (albeit in the garage), will make the decision on Saturday when we do the final packing.

Don't forget to pack a funnel as well(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't forget to pack a funnel as well(y)
Already in ... along with separate funnels/pipes for oil, water etc as being an a-class it's not that easy to get at!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Avoid France completely............breaking news..........BF operate ferry services direct to Spain:xsmile:
No ta, ET for us every time ... with 3 dogs one of whom is terrified of ferries it's the only way we can travel over (or under) the water.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Forget fuel, where is France today? Just drove up from Utah beach to Calais and the roads are empty, very spooky
There's a national strike due to the change in pension age, people from all employment types are out on strike because of it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We’re travelling up from Jura towards Belgium, currently west of Dijon. We filled up this afternoon with Diesel and GPL near Macon. Haven’t seen any shortages or queues at any garages.
I know Brittany is almost out of fuel, so I would imagine the shortages will be spreading eastwards. Luckily, we keep away from the common routes south so don’t worry about fuel shortages.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
The 'local rag' reports 'pumps are dry' here in the Charente but after driving 74kms return to go shopping, the joys of living in 'France Profunde'. The N10 is as busy as usual with a good proportion of French trucks, along with the ubiquitous Spanish and Portugese. The 'Total' garage in Angouleme was operating normally and the 'Auchan' S/Station was having a delivery of fuel.

There was a 'Demonstration' up in Angouleme town with the usual culprits, but nothing that would disturb through traffic.

Robert

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not in summer,, but winter!!! It's closed.??BUSBY..

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
We’re driving north from Spain up the west of France. Filled up Donostia-San Sebastian just before crossing the border at Irun yesterday, so 120 litres in the tank. Tried to top up at a filling station just off the N10 south of Angouleme, but they were only allowing folk 30€ worth @ 1.41€ per litre. Should have enough to reach Kent though, so not too worried about fuel now.
The motorway service stations we passed appeared to have fuel, but were charging around 1.50€ per litre.
Crossing Saturday morning; now the worry is we suspect Eurotunnel may be affected....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back