French lorry drivers strike in December (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our friends tried to get diesel today in Poitiers, :doh: and couldn't get any, see how they get on tomorrow. ? Bob.

Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
There is a general strike on Thursday 5th for all of France. So possibly get worse. The refineries have been blockaded so derv could get short. Fill up when you can. Happy travels.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Don’t you all come over here buying our diesel if it’s going to be in short supply!
We managed to fill up both diesel and GPL in Dijon today, not a problem but it was busy at L’Eclerc.
We’ll just wait out the 5th and 7th on a nice free aire somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
When we had problems in the UK, I was down the west country and garages I think were holding it back for locals, I was tipping on a farm, he had plenty of diesel I filled up enough to get me home.......... ? it wasn't red just a bit pink. ? Bob.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
There are also some Spanish lorry drivers doing the same, causing problems in Spain. ? Bob.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Bloody great. We are driving from Belgium to Beni on Friday morning. Prayers will be used. There again that didn't work for Brexit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wonderful, we go on Sunday ... might have to drive straight through France rather than taking a few days ... will fill up at Tesco near Folkestone just to be sure we get a fair way down though.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Wonderful, we go on Sunday ... might have to drive straight through France rather than taking a few days ... will fill up at Tesco near Folkestone just to be sure we get a fair way down though.

We leave tomorrow!

BTW, a tank full of diesel will take you the same distance irrespective of how long you choose to drive “might have to drive straight through France rather than taking a few days“. ?

Ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We leave tomorrow!

BTW, a tank full of diesel will take you the same distance irrespective of how long you choose to drive “might have to drive straight through France rather than taking a few days“. ?

Ian
Not it we 'wander in France' ... :xgrin:

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I remember a quite few years the English drivers tried the same idea and were told if you block the road you will have your HGV licence taken off you so we are not that free really.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I remember a quite few years the English drivers tried the same idea and were told if you block the road you will have your HGV licence taken off you so we are not that free really.
yes that was Jack straw the then Labour home secretary who threatened to revoke licences :mad::mad::mad:

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
They would be reported for obstruction and I doubt very much if the traffic commissioner would revoke a licence on the strength of this .

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
On what grounds could the government revoke your HGV license?

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
The British gov. Threatened to take the operators license away not the drivers license so small hauliers and owner drivers would be out of business. All power to the French and Spanish drivers and I hope they get a drop in fuel prices that will effect us as well on our travels

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
The British gov. Threatened to take the operators license away not the drivers license so small hauliers and owner drivers would be out of business. All power to the French and Spanish drivers and I hope they get a drop in fuel prices that will effect us as well on our travels
Absolutely not true. They did put a Corden around oil depots and allowed a peaceful protest but never indicated this type of action to hauliers

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Absolutely not true. They did put a Corden around oil depots and allowed a peaceful protest but never indicated this type of action to hauliers
I remember the statement by jack straw being discussed at a RHA meeting about M25 protests, some very irate owner drivers.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I remember the statement by jack straw being discussed at a RHA meeting about M25 protests, some very irate owner drivers.
What branch are you a member because we met That guy in Staffordshire and if he had made that statement I know it wouldn't have been the door he went through .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There are also some Spanish lorry drivers doing the same, causing problems in Spain. ? Bob.

Bob ,I think that might be very old news if this bloke was still prime minister??

"The Spanish president, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero,claimed this weekend that the government was fully aware of the impact of rising fuel ":xlaugh::xrofl:

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Hi Minxy, We left Benidorm on Sunday and we filled up fuel just before the French border. On Monday night we stopped on the Aire at St. Maure De Touraine where we filled up with fuel in the garage next to Aldi. There a small queue and people were taking a long time at the pump. We then noticed that they were getting the 30 euros max then putting credit card in again to get another 30 euros worth. When we got to the pump we did likewise. Today on the way to Neufchatel En Bray we noticed several garages closed as was the E.Leclerc one here. Later in the day it was open but had long queues all the way out of the carpark and down the road. We will try early tomorrow morning. Good luck with your trip.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Bob ,I think that might be very old news if this bloke was still prime minister??

"The Spanish president, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero,claimed this weekend that the government was fully aware of the impact of rising fuel ":xlaugh::xrofl:

That's good news, ? saves me going out panic buying. ?

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our friends tried to get diesel today in Poitiers, :doh: and couldn't get any, see how they get on tomorrow. ? Bob.

Our friends found a garage this morning when the left Poitiers, they said the que was long, but they let them fill up, they are now down near Toulouse so happy now. ? Bob.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
As you say that was a few years ago. With the massive shortage of LGV drivers these days that kind of threat wouldn't carry any weight. Not condoning strike action, just saying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back