Freight Queues for 5 miles For the Tunnel on Tuesday. (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Thé French Customs trialed some of their systems at the Tunnel on Tuesday morning . Queues stretched back for five miles towards Ashford. Their systems have been ready for over a year. The RHA had a meeting not with Gove but one of his lesser mortals yesterday, The result was described as a total shambles. They tell us that they are recruiting thousands of new staff, I learned that they are still making people redundant. The ´ System’ is due to be operational from 23rd December, just eight days before D day!
Frankly it beggars belief.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thé French Customs trialed some of their systems at the Tunnel on Tuesday morning . Queues stretched back for five miles towards Ashford. Their systems have been ready for over a year. The RHA had a meeting not with Gove but one of his lesser mortals yesterday, The result was described as a total shambles. They tell us that they are recruiting thousands of new staff, I learned that they are still making people redundant. The ´ System’ is due to be operational from 23rd December, just eight days before D day!
Frankly it beggars belief.

What is wrong with that - I thought 'just-on-time' was the new way to be economically efficient these days? :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Why do we need a new system? We trade with the EU now and the Rest of the World both import and export don’t you just switch one off and the other one on when we leave properly on the 31st December. Surely that should be done on the 31st not the 23rd. We’ll have more chance of knowing if there is a deal or not by then, and how did the French know a year ago. All sounds like fake double speak to me.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If we end up with WTO no deal terms then tariffs apply and goods have to be checked both ways for tariffs to be levied.

We don’t have such a system in place and haven’t got one ready in time.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If we end up with WTO no deal terms then tariffs apply and goods have to be checked both ways for tariffs to be levied.

We don’t have such a system in place and haven’t got one ready in time.
Well it should help provide jobs as the WTO rule book runs in to some 30,000 pages with some 30 agreements

Deleted User
But we already do that for stuff that comes from outside the EU, so we must have systems in place already.

Stuff that comes in from outside the EU will enter via ports or airports, rarely by truck.

The largest volume is undoubtedly containerised and can be unloaded from the ship and left on the quayside while awaiting clearance.

The volume coming in from the EU would cause chaos if this system was implemented, there is simply not enough trained staff or customs agents at the moment.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We were all screwed when we had the “millennium bug” Not !
We are being screwed now as well. I will not be rushing off to Europe I will wait for things to die down a bit.
The only thing our government is good at is wasting hard earned taxpayers money !
Phil

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We were all screwed when we had the “millennium bug” Not !
We are being screwed now as well. I will not be rushing off to Europe I will wait for things to die down a bit.
The only thing our government is good at is wasting hard earned taxpayers money !
Phil
Back in 1999 there was a huge effort by iIT companies to upgrade firmware and software plus system checks which is why there was no issues with the millennium bug. I am sure others on here may recall or been involved in such efforts.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Its not going to make any difference to us anyway as we will all be locked down again in January after everyone has mixed inside each others houses over Christmas and spread the virus again:rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was European export manager for an electronics manufacturer before we joined the E.U. (and after) and there weren't any queues.
Our products also had to comply with the safety regs and most European countries had their own different standards (and currencies) to which our products had to be tested, approved and documentation presented.
Plus ça change...........

Last edited:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't worry we will have a trade deal with Zero tariffs and none of this will be relevant, then everyone (press especially) can complain about the waste of money spent on all these preparations for sabre rattling!
Unfortunately whether we have a trade deal or not is irrelevant as we will still have to make import and export declarations for trade to and from the EU which we did not have to do when we were in the EU. This is the practical issue not the paying of duties.

If you speak to the trade ie freight forwarders they are just forecasting chaos and it probably will be.

Key systems have not even been rewritten and won't be ready till march/April at the earliest.

Some information will not be released ie EROI numbers for northen Ireland till December and some won't get them till 21 Dec if they have not already registered.

The system for NI is not being released till to 21st Dec with no trade testing. Also they are setong up a call centre in NI to do the check on imports to NI from GB. Don't know how that is going but that is more expense the country has that we didn't before Brexit.

As I said a trade deal won't solve the practical issues.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't worry we will have a trade deal with Zero tariffs and none of this will be relevant, then everyone (press especially) can complain about the waste of money spent on all these preparations for sabre rattling!
Don't think it works as easy as that.
Whilst there may be zero rated tariffs there will still be documentation \ checks required to prove goods are of UK \ EU origin (in free circulation) and therefore entitled to zero tariff.
This link gives some insight as to rules around origin.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rules-of-origin
As matamoros says this is "relatively" easily managed where the goods are unaccompanied and a dwell at a port for a day or two is manageable but the cost \ disruption to a supply chain that is relying on accompanied goods (basically a lorry with a driver) would be a different matter.

But we already do that for stuff that comes from outside the EU, so we must have systems in place already.
Yes, there are systems in place however, as outlined above, it can take days to clear Customs whilst Customs entries are made, duty is paid, VAT is paid, etc. What additional volume of trade would now have to go through these procedures?
This is a link to the "Tariff" (basically the book) that import agents \ importers use to classify the correct tariff code, duty rate, etc for goods being imported to UK. The same product from different countries throughout the world may, or may not, attract the same, or different, duty rate.
ps not suggesting you read it as the hard copy is over 6,000 pages long!
Way back when, it could take up to a day to remove old pages and insert new pages on a monthly basis when it was hardcopy only. And you had to pay hundreds of pounds per copy for the pleasure of doing so.

I was European export manager for an electronics manufacturer before we joined the E.U. (and after) and there weren't any queues.
Our products also had to comply with the safety regs and most European countries had their own standards to which our products had to be tested, approved and documentation presented.
But how many Customs officers were there in The Long Room, Landing Office, Waterguard, etc at each point of exit \ entry at that time dealing with that documentation?
Remember it well what with Inwards \ Outward processing relief, Tanshipment Goods, Merchandise in Baggage, etc, etc, etc..... C10's, C275's, XS48's, etc, etc, etc.........

Deleted User
Our products also had to comply with the safety regs and most European countries had their own standards to which our products had to be tested, approved and documentation presented.

I remember those far off days too, no supermarkets, no shopping centres, no tomatoes in the winter etc.........no consumerism on the scale of today
I also remember turning up at Dover with a slight mistake on the T form, fortunately at that time their was an abundance of agents in Dover able to modify and re serve the form, only caused a delay of 3 hours or so!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
People all saying that we used to do this before we joined the EU, the crucial difference is that so did everyone else.

We now have a huge disadvantage in being the only former EU member that has to bother. This isn’t me being anti Brexit. It’s a practicality that we have to get around and be prepared for it to cause us a lot of problems.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Physical Customs clearances at point and time of arrival are so 20th century.
A majority of international trade is repetitive and technological paper trail systems should easily deal with it.
The only point-of-entry hold-ups for this majority should only involve randomly selected and specifically targetted individual imports as has always been the case.

Whether the willingness by vested interests to make it work smoothly exists, is another matter.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Way back when, it could take up to a day to remove old pages and insert new pages on a monthly basis when it was hardcopy only. And you had to pay hundreds of pounds per copy for the pleasure of doing so.

But how many Customs officers were there in The Long Room, Landing Office, Waterguard, etc at each point of exit \ entry at that time dealing with that documentation?
Remember it well what with Inwards \ Outward processing relief, Tanshipment Goods, Merchandise in Baggage, etc, etc, etc..... C10's, C275's, XS48's, etc, etc, etc.........
Agreed, it wasn't perfect but we had a couple of experienced staff in our export admin section who were experienced in producing the documentation in multiple sets on typewriters with two feet wide carriages (how I miss the smell of slippery carbon paper).

Nowadays, regs can be accessed instantly online and instead of drivers carrying folders of grubby and dog-eared certified documents in multiple copies the internet and electronic communication simplifies the preparation and distribution of documentation. No rubber stamping at ports necessary as documents can be certified/approved before the driver leaves the factory.
(One of my sons has been working on contract to HMRC for two years helping to create the necessary systems).

Last edited:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
We do. Currently there is about 55 million declarations per year and the system is creaking at the seams. Forecast is for 270 million next year.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Agreed, it wasn't perfect but we had a couple of experienced staff in our export admin section who were experienced in producing the documentation in multiple sets on typewriters with two feet wide carriages (how I miss the smell of slippery carbon paper).

Nowadays, regs can be accessed instantly online and instead of drivers carrying folders of grubby and dog-eared certified documents in multiple copies the internet and electronic communication simplifies the preparation and distribution of documentation.
(One of my sons has been working on contract to HMRC for two years helping to create the necessary systems).
Suppose a few questions drop out of that, and I agree, this should be simpler \ more automated.
How many companies still employ "export admin staff"? Are there sufficient freight forwarder, HMRC, etc staff in place?
What will the dwell time be to check electronic documentation? The vast majority of seaborne traffic (containers) is pre-entered but it does still take a day or two to clear the port.
How many internal EU drivers have any idea of what Customs documentation is and the importance of it?
This is no way a slight on your son, but with 35 days to go will the new systems but installed, implemented, tested and in a robust workable status on time?
As for grubby and dog-eared documentation don't get me started on ATA Carnets!:swear2:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Suppose a few questions drop out of that, and I agree, this should be simpler \ more automated.
How many companies still employ "export admin staff"? Are there sufficient freight forwarder, HMRC, etc staff in place?
There'll be unemployed people who can be trained up in many areas of business for the 'new normal', but yes, it's not all going to happen without delays and considerable confusion during the learning curve. I think many businesses are "lah, lah lah 'ing" with their heads in the sand hoping it'll all go away.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
There are freight queues practically every day, the press are just stoking the fire,if the haulier has a good agent or freight forwarding clerk with sound knowledge of correct paperwork then it's something else that's causing the delay.
Agreed. I did a lot of QA work in the 90's for UK Freight Forwarders and I didn't notice any serious problems in those days, and nowadays with better comms. things can only have got better.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I remember those far off days too, no supermarkets, no shopping centres, no tomatoes in the winter etc.........no consumerism on the scale of today
I also remember turning up at Dover with a slight mistake on the T form, fortunately at that time their was an abundance of agents in Dover able to modify and re serve the form, only caused a delay of 3 hours or so!

Ah, the days of standing on those bloody steps on a cold wet night getting trailer carnets and T forms stamped. Parked up for hours and sometimes days waiting to clear and then someone wanting you on the bank to strip down a tilt. Returning from a night on the beer in Dover to be told you have cleared and must now leave. The female customs cab checker that took great delight in rummaging through your dirty laundry bag looking for contraband. The good old days before the EU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back