Freight Queues for 5 miles For the Tunnel on Tuesday. (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Woe betide the motorhome that tries to sneak across without the GB sticker on the back, the headlamps dipped to the right, no less than two warning triangles and with the number of hi-viz vests matching the number of belted seats! (NOT stored in the garage)

Isn't that how it whould always have been? Brexit or no-Brexit!

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Still A new Ferry route ......however ........reducing lorries passing through uk ports....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Still A new Ferry route ......however ........reducing lorries passing through uk ports....

I think it will be a very expensive option for company's unless the EU subsidizes it i would think can you imagine all those paddy's 24 hrs in the bar :Eeek:.
bill

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Maybe less work for the good of folk Holyhead, Fishguard and Pembroke Dock

will have to wait and see of course

Service will have a Max capacity of 1200 lorries a weeks , so reduce the pressure on the Kent Lorry Park

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe less work for the good of folk Holyhead, Fishguard and Pembroke Dock

will have to wait and see of course

Service will have a Max capacity of 1200 lorries a weeks , so reduce the pressure on the Kent Lorry Park

The Times was reporting plans for 13 return crossings a week so would be a lot more than 12oo lorries a week.

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Which ever way you look at it the shortest distance between two points is the 22 miles between Dover and Calais. It will always be the busiest RO RO Crossing .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thé French Customs trialed some of their systems at the Tunnel on Tuesday morning . Queues stretched back for five miles towards Ashford. Their systems have been ready for over a year. The RHA had a meeting not with Gove but one of his lesser mortals yesterday, The result was described as a total shambles. They tell us that they are recruiting thousands of new staff, I learned that they are still making people redundant. The ´ System’ is due to be operational from 23rd December, just eight days before D day!
Frankly it beggars belief.
Must be even bigger queues on the French side because surely more goods come into the UK than leave,,BUSBY.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Interesting view from a bloke who appears to have some knowledgeknowledge

who knows if his concerns will affect all uk ports.

but he does raise a few unknowns.

No doubt he knows his industry however there are plenty of freight forwards in the UK & Europe but at moment no real demand for clearance in calais or any uk ports for continental europe.
If he can get a tractor trailer combination for €100000 then he should start a truck dealership !

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just one point to add. 75 per cent of truck drivers are from Easter Europe with very little command of the English Language, Hiw will the APNR cope with so many foreign vehicles? The old saying that comes to mind is “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”!!!
The U.K. voters have made their bed and now they must lay in it ! With of course up to a 6 per cent reduction in GDP forecast.
They still need a CMR and both the sender of the goods and haulier have to give information.
When you book a freight crossing they will require Registration of tractor and now trailer ID which has been implemented for uk hauliers, prior to this same reg as tractor used .look at foreign trucks Spanish have two number plates on trailer .so APNR will pick up and through the freight declaration will pick up it's a eg Spanish trailer pulled by a non EE tractor. Unaccompanied trailers are the same .

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
The Times was reporting plans for 13 return crossings a week so would be a lot more than 12oo lorries a week.

Might be my maths, used the info in the attached article

quick check
opps 🥴

“it will initially service the route with three ferries, each with a capacity for up to 125 lorries.

The crossing will take 24 hours, with six departures per week from each port, in the afternoon or evening.”

(3x6x125 ) x2 = 4500 lorries a week max

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think it will be a very expensive option for company's unless the EU subsidizes it i would think can you imagine all those paddy's 24 hrs in the bar :Eeek:.
bill
No different to on the boat with the east europeans now.

If he can get a tractor trailer combination for €100000 then he should start a truck dealership !
You can pick up near new stuff in the EU & that amount would get you decent kit.

Might be my maths, used the info in the attached article

quick check
opps 🥴

“it will initially service the route with three ferries, each with a capacity for up to 125 lorries.

The crossing will take 24 hours, with six departures per week from each port, in the afternoon or evening.”

(3x6x125 ) x2 = 4500 lorries a week max
A bit towards the 10,000/day crossing at Dover>Calais/Dunkirk

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Wonder it one of the Normandy ports would have been better for Ireland look like a long way for a shortcut.
bill

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Wonder it one of the Normandy ports would have been better for Ireland look like a long way for a shortcut.
bill

Well for all the traffic to/from countries east of Dunkirk a ship travelling at 22 knots(25mph) will probably do as well or better than a truck going from Normandy to Belgium. Spain and France are already served from Ireland.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
bill
The ferry costs will, of course, be much more expensive but there will be a considerable saving in diesel for the trucks, c750 round-trip to Holyhead. Drivers hours as well may be a consideration.

Which ever way you look at it the shortest distance between two points is the 22 miles between Dover and Calais. It will always be the busiest RO RO Crossing .
Not if the two points are not Dover \ Calais. Not saying this route won't remain the busiest but it does bring an option to avoid the UK inland leg and any possible transit delay issues.

bill
There are already routes between Roscoff \ Cherbourg into Cork \ Roslare \ Dublin. Would guess this new one is designed to provide a service for traffic emanating from the Low Countries, etc.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Im a northerner so I don't know much.
But I have blueberries with my breakfast cereal every day. They come from the supermarket but they are not made there, because they have a country of origin on the label. Sometimes from an EU country and other times from all over the world. My present ones are from Peru. Generally there are usually some bad ones in the packet, but the worst for this are from the EU. Peru and Egypt are much better. Now I know neither of these are in the EU, so they have lots of paperwork and customs checks, but they get to my fridge in better condition than those from our friends.
I find it hard to believe that stuff comes from the EU without any paperwork. If that's the case how on earth do we know how much is imported and exported, we keep being told our trade with the EU is xx% amount, how do they know this if nothing is recorded? Ok there will be more paper when importing from outside.
I read somewhere that Canadian small exporters are reluctant to use the new EU trade deal because of the paperwork involved and have found it easier to pay the duty under WTO. No idea if this is true.
If the French want to work to rule they will do, they just as easily will ignore all rules when it suits them. But these are imports to the EU, customers in the EU are the ones who suffer when lorries are delayed in Kent not us. We keep hearing about Just in Time supply lines, so its French factories that are stuck for parts.
I am hoping my blueberries will be in better condition and cheaper too next year. I will let you know.
I never buy those imported out of season blueberries. Too expensive and terrible for air miles. I hope all our fresh imported eu produce doesn't become that expensive.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I never buy those imported out of season blueberries. Too expensive and terrible for air miles. I hope all our fresh imported eu produce doesn't become that expensive.
I think your missing my point. That despite the extra paperwork and customs checks highly perishable foodstuffs can reach my fridge in better condition than what you describe as local EU produce.
Let’s hope that once out of the customs union and the EU’s protectionist tariffs, which costs the consumer, we can import food from anywhere including EU and it be cheaper than now.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Let’s hope that once out of the customs union and the EU’s protectionist tariffs, which costs the consumer, we can import food from anywhere including EU and it be cheaper than now.

I don't understand the thinking behind the importing cheaper food from the EU'! GBP exchange rates have already increased the cost of 'imported' food from wherever in the world it is sourced.

Robert

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I think your missing my point. That despite the extra paperwork and customs checks highly perishable foodstuffs can reach my fridge in better condition than what you describe as local EU produce.

We will still have tariffs for imports, ok they may be at a different rate, but it will apply to all food stuffs, even those that are from the EU which didn't have them before, assuming there is a no deal.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
We have no control over currency rates, they will go up or down. At the moment we have no control over tariffs, the EU controls them.
I suppose I am wanting the best of everything. A trade deal without tariffs with the EU and the ability to import on our own terms from everywhere else.
The original post was about delays caused by French customs, the delay being on stuff we are sending to them. This was broadened to imply that our imports from EU would be impacted and we wont get stuff. I used my weekly Blueberries as an example of something that cannot be delayed as they are perishable but were imported now successfully from all over the world on presumably WTO terms with the implied loads of checks and paperwork. My latest are from South Africa, previously Peru and Egypt, I expressed a hope that 2021 might see cheaper blueberries too ( I don’t care where they come from). Would have thought everybody would be keen to see that wish come true.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My latest are from South Africa, previously Peru and Egypt, I expressed a hope that 2021 might see cheaper blueberries too ( I don’t care where they come from). Would have thought everybody would be keen to see that wish come true.

I confirm I wish you cheaper blueberries.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
We have no control over currency rates, they will go up or down. At the moment we have no control over tariffs, the EU controls them.
I suppose I am wanting the best of everything. A trade deal without tariffs with the EU and the ability to import on our own terms from everywhere else.
The original post was about delays caused by French customs, the delay being on stuff we are sending to them. This was broadened to imply that our imports from EU would be impacted and we wont get stuff. I used my weekly Blueberries as an example of something that cannot be delayed as they are perishable but were imported now successfully from all over the world on presumably WTO terms with the implied loads of checks and paperwork. My latest are from South Africa, previously Peru and Egypt, I expressed a hope that 2021 might see cheaper blueberries too ( I don’t care where they come from). Would have thought everybody would be keen to see that wish come true.

I doubt we will get trade deal where we can import on our own terms from else where, because the EU would be worried that goods would be routed through the UK if the UK terms were better than the EU import terms.

Just because you could get cheaper blueberries does not mean that you would be better off, if everything else you buy is more expensive.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My latest are from South Africa, previously Peru and Egypt, I expressed a hope that 2021 might see cheaper blueberries too ( I don’t care where they come from).

They're suppose to be very good for one's health...............except for those who live under an airport flight path.

Would have thought everybody would be keen to see that wish come true.
Nope. Never eaten 'em.
I bought some sugar snap peas the other day and was horrified when I got home to see that they had come from Peru, 6,000 miles away.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
They're suppose to be very good for one's health...............except for those who live under an airport flight path.

Nope. Never eaten 'em.
I bought some sugar snap peas the other day and was horrified when I got home to see that they had come from Peru, 6,000 miles away.
I am happy to help bring people out of poverty in Peru, Egypt and South Africa.
I consider local to be within 10 miles of home.
After that Yorkshire, then perhaps North of England. Beyond that it doesn’t matter to me.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I remember those far off days too, no supermarkets, no shopping centres, no tomatoes in the winter etc.........no consumerism on the scale of today
I also remember turning up at Dover with a slight mistake on the T form, fortunately at that time their was an abundance of agents in Dover able to modify and re serve the form, only caused a delay of 3 hours or so!
Hi Matamoros, you will remember the multi story building in the middle of Dover docks? floor after floor of little offices full of shipping agents, and the import and export compounds we used to drop our trailers in ti await customs clearance.
If any one is still thinking this is going to be easy, I recommend they sign up for weekly guv't e mails for updates on what they are having to change to make this work, but don't forget you would be coming in at the end, this work has being going on for 5 years all through the terrible Pandemic, 1000's if civil servants working in this that could have been used elsewhere saving lives. Bruce

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back