Freight Queues for 5 miles For the Tunnel on Tuesday. (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Stuff that comes in from outside the EU will enter via ports or airports, rarely by truck.

The largest volume is undoubtedly containerised and can be unloaded from the ship and left on the quayside while awaiting clearance.

The volume coming in from the EU would cause chaos if this system was implemented, there is simply not enough trained staff or customs agents at the moment.
Plenty of Turkish trucks around these days. One Turkish firm even has a depot in Warwick.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Back in 1999 there was a huge effort by iIT companies to upgrade firmware and software plus system checks which is why there was no issues with the millennium bug. I am sure others on here may recall or been involved in such efforts.

Agreed. I was heavily involved in making sure that things worked as they should have done.

It was not a hoax / lie / fake news.... there were serious issues that need to be resolved so that your banking systems / healthcare system etc carried on working as they should have done.

It was because we took it seriously that no major outage happened.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Don't worry we will have a trade deal with Zero tariffs and none of this will be relevant, then everyone (press especially) can complain about the waste of money spent on all these preparations for sabre rattling!

I hope you’re correct, but I wouldn’t bet on it!

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
What is obvious is that most people have no idea about import and export practicalities and are focusing on a trade deal.

The issue is not duties and vat, but the extra admin of filling declarations which we did not have to do while in the EU.

As I said above the systems are just not there at the moment and won't be bt the 1st Jan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Agreed. I did a lot of QA work in the 90's for UK Freight Forwarders and I didn't notice any serious problems in those days, and nowadays with better comms. things can only have got better.
Pre-E.U. our local Chamber of Commerce ran documentation courses for (worldwide) exporting twice a week for Sussex businesses. They may be able to bring the trainers back out of retirement as I assume care homes have access ramps. [No offence to the elderly (which includes me) - just British black humour ;) ].

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Pre-E.U. our local Chamber of Commerce ran documentation courses for (worldwide) exporting twice a week for Sussex businesses. They may be able to bring the trainers back out of retirement as I assume care homes have access ramps. [No offence to the elderly (which includes me) - just British black humour ;) ].
Did you mean Humour of Colour ? :whistle2:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Plenty of Turkish trucks around these days. One Turkish firm even has a depot in Warwick.
A tiny proportion of the total volume of trucks though. And many of them carrying EU, not Turkish, origin goods.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
someone wanting you on the bank to strip down a tilt. Returning from a night on the beer in Dover to be told you have cleared and must now leave. T
Hi.
Can you imagine the H n'S regs needed in place to strip a tilt down ? wobbling about on top with planks missing . Best thing about a Tilt ? ,.Ferrymasters used to pay me 10/- for a strip down when i was on hire to them up in Hull.( Ben Bonner manager)
Tea Bag

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Well I ain't coming back out of retirement, ramp or no ramp!:Smile:
Me neither, as I'd already been exporting for 20 years by the time I was given this...... ;)

CIMG2035.JPG

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Me neither, as I'd already been exporting for 20 years by the time I was given this...... ;)

View attachment 443605
Beat you, beat you, beat you!:p:p:p
1973 for me!:eek:
And no, I'm not searching the loft for the various certificates to prove it 'cause they're still buried in the removal boxes from 25 years ago!:Smile:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thé French Customs trialed some of their systems at the Tunnel on Tuesday morning . Queues stretched back for five miles towards Ashford. Their systems have been ready for over a year. The RHA had a meeting not with Gove but one of his lesser mortals yesterday, The result was described as a total shambles. They tell us that they are recruiting thousands of new staff, I learned that they are still making people redundant. The ´ System’ is due to be operational from 23rd December, just eight days before D day!
Frankly it beggars belief.
B day

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

:giggle:

Have you seen the lorry queues at Erdine ? (Which is where Turkish lorries enter the EU)

Time is often measured in days and at times the queue can be seen from the space station.
(Turkey has trade agreements with both Bulgaria and Greece, so the process is fairly smooth, but that does not stop the massive queues)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi.
Can you imagine the H n'S regs needed in place to strip a tilt down ? wobbling about on top with planks missing . Best thing about a Tilt ? ,.Ferrymasters used to pay me 10/- for a strip down when i was on hire to them up in Hull.( Ben Bonner manager)
Tea Bag
So Brexit means everyone must strip at customs, that should be fun :LOL:

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
So here we are, a smallish island just 22 miles from the largest (free) trading block in the world - one that we were not only part of but also actually had some influence over. The fact that this thread exists at all reminds me of a TV advert that used to be on (not sure for what). In it a group of lads are playing "keep-uppy" and working hard to keep the football off the ground as they pass it amongst themselves. Along comes another lad who joins in and when the ball comes to him, he volleys it over the nearby hedge (to the sound of breaking glass) and gives a triumphant yell of "Ave it". Sums it up really.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Surely the queues on Tuesday were caused, on Mr Macron’s instructions, to show those pesky Brits that they must cave in on the Brexit dal. :cool:
My thoughts also - they closed most of the lanes as only two were open for this "test"

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
This is my area , import and export and Global Trade and I can tell you UK governments IT does not look ready or to have enough capacity.

A lot of businesses are not ready.

The trade deal is a side issue. Whatever happens with that we are in the world of all goods having to have some kind of customs declaration in or out of UK. ( ignore the whole Northern Ireland Mess ).

This costs. Either for someone’s experience and expertise and to do the work for you directly or paying someone else to do it.

We all pick these costs up as the consumer

The buinsess I am working with before my mitigation plans was facing a 1 million euro bill per year for this work. As a medical device company the NHS would have been paying for that ....

Daniel.

Last edited:

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Back in 1999 there was a huge effort by iIT companies to upgrade firmware and software plus system checks which is why there was no issues with the millennium bug. I am sure others on here may recall or been involved in such efforts.
I second that. I was working in IT at the time and it was a huge effort.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
This is my area , import and export and Global Trade and I can tell you UK governments IT does not look ready or to have enough capacity.

Daniel.
When was it ever? Actually in the bad old 1970s with a rigid old fashioned civil service, it did work. But not with outsourcing and privatisation.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
love your phonetic spelling, very helpful. You should have a look at other French phrases, it will help with the British reticence to try speak other languages.....

(del boy ....mange tout mange tout) :LOL:
"San Fairy Ann" In Britain is a legendary phrase from the distant past, originally a phonetic guide to a French phrase, now slightly self-mocking. But pas d'elle yeux RhĂ´ne qu'Ă  nous, as they say.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
There'll be unemployed people who can be trained up in many areas of business for the 'new normal', but yes, it's not all going to happen without delays and considerable confusion during the learning curve. I think many businesses are "lah, lah lah 'ing" with their heads in the sand hoping it'll all go away.
They will have to be able to read and write.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017

Yes.... but Turkey has been in a Customs Union with the EU since 1995. Also, any remaining EU entry formalities would be dealt with when entering the EU from Turkey....... not when crossing from France to the UK.

phroco

Free Member
Jun 4, 2020
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 694
Exp
Learner
It wasn't a test as such, the French (and Dutch) systems are all already tested and ready to go and have been for months. This was more of a trial to preview what the effects are likely to be come the 1st January. The UK systems buy contrast aren't tested, or even fully written yet, which is why the government is suggesting they are likely to wave everything through for at least six months. This is known as 'controlling your borders'.

As others have said, the issue isn't tariffs as such but the other barriers to trade. So, most fish and shellfish caught in the UK is exported to Europe and currently requires you to fill in a small form of about five fields. This tweet by a shellfish exporter gives an idea of the paperwork they will have to do come January deal or no-deal. This is a reasonably sized company but your one-man mussel and crab boats etc will have to do pretty much exactly the same, it's just that most of them probably won't have the time to do it themselves or the money to pay someone else. Then once you've done all that, and your truck gets stuck in the Kent queuing zone for 48 hours your customer isn't going to want to pay for your produce anyway.

So many fishermen, especially the smaller ones, are in for a pretty rough time until such time as the UK gives up cod and other imported fish and starts eating more herring and mussels.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:giggle:

Have you seen the lorry queues at Erdine ? (Which is where Turkish lorries enter the EU)

Time is often measured in days and at times the queue can be seen from the space station.
(Turkey has trade agreements with both Bulgaria and Greece, so the process is fairly smooth, but that does not stop the massive queues)

Ah, the Kapikule border. Abandon all hope when approaching this border. Its reputed to be the busiest in Europe since Bulgaria came into the EU. My personal record for clearing this border was 4 days and that was with a backsheesh of 60 Marlborough and 10 Deutschmarks.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Ah, the Kapikule border. Abandon all hope when approaching this border. Its reputed to be the busiest in Europe since Bulgaria came into the EU. My personal record for clearing this border was 4 days and that was with a backsheesh of 60 Marlborough and 10 Deutschmarks.

Right now at the Kapikule crossing (7.30 pm local time) it is taking 17hrs to move the 10km to the border post.
Which means those crossing right now joined the back of the queue at 02.30am this morning.

I wonder at what point todays wagon drivers will compare Kent with Kapikule ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back