Folkstone eurotunnel parking (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2018
Funster No
Hello, we're hoping to take our first trip to France via the tunnel in early October travelling down from Birmingham and onto Spain. Trying to decide on what time train to get and what would be best. We're wondering if it would be best to drive down the evening before (missing a lot of the heavy traffic) and park up close to the terminal and get an early ferry to be reasonably fresh and then get a chunk of the journey in france done on the first day. At the moment this is probably my preferred option, but I can't find anywhere obvious to park up. I would be very grateful for any advice please.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We always use the carpark at Farthing Common to overnight for an early train, which is about 4 to 5 minutes to the tunnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
So many places in Folkestone, not the Seafront anymore though.
Grimston Avenue has no restrictions and easy walk to the town
Earls Avenue similar fewer space at the top end.
Lots of choices if you look, top of Canterbury Road near the Chapel has a slight slope. A bit further to walk.
The Caple Le Ferne Old Road parallel with old A20 great views across the Channel.
Your spoilt for choice.

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Washington, Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
These are great suggestion. Thank you. We travel next Saturday in the early hours but are travelling from Newcastle on Friday evening so will use one of these park ups. Anyone know the best place to get fuel before we board the train? Don’t fancy filling up on the French side.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
These are great suggestion. Thank you. We travel next Saturday in the early hours but are travelling from Newcastle on Friday evening so will use one of these park ups. Anyone know the best place to get fuel before we board the train? Don’t fancy filling up on the French side.
I usually stop at Ashford Tesco’s just off junction 10 m20

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you are going to be relying on a stand alone satnav, or one in the MH rather than maps on phone, set the country to France and then your destination, before you get off the train. You get disgorged straight onto dual carriageway roads and then on to the A16 without places to pull over (unless you go into Cité Europe).
Be prepared by knowing the major towns on your route so you can follow overhead signs. You are presumably going in the direction of Abbeville and Rouen. Once you get going you can relax and will settle in quite quickly.
Have a great time.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A lot of the French fuel pumps are automatic and it's not a problem except that a very few don't like some of the UK cards. We take a selection of plastic but only once has a card been rejected (in Italy) and I just used a different card.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Easier to get a late afternoon/early evening train as there are plenty of Aires within a 30 minute drive of the tunnel in France.
I think the first time over, it is sensible to go in the morning and have daylight. Otherwise, yes, I agree but then we have always just stopped at Cité Europe out and back so we will have to think about finding an aire further away now.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually avoid buying fuel in the UK, preferring to wait till we get to France. Of course the price difference is a lot less than it used to be. Supermarket fuel stations usually the cheapest and as usually self service no language problems.
In the UK I prefer Asda as some other Supermarkets have a kiosk or self service pumps not working. I have not paid in a kiosk for a couple of years, because of covid and prefer not to waste time queueing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the first time over, it is sensible to go in the morning and have daylight. Otherwise, yes, I agree but then we have always just stopped at Cité Europe out and back so we will have to think about finding an aire further away now.
It will still be light past 7:30 in early October so shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Robert Houghton
Jan 4, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone for all the really useful and helpful advice. I am now in the unexpected but very welcome situation of having lots of possible choices !! It always feels so much better to have more than one option in case "plan A" doesn't work out. Thanks again 👍😀

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We used to stop and get early am train. But we now get a late train, do 30mins the other side and enjoy a good layin and start off relaxed. We also get our fuel that side as it’s cheaper.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
So many places in Folkestone, not the Seafront anymore though.
Grimston Avenue has no restrictions and easy walk to the town
Earls Avenue similar fewer space at the top end.
Lots of choices if you look, top of Canterbury Road near the Chapel has a slight slope. A bit further to walk.
The Caple Le Ferne Old Road parallel with old A20 great views across the Channel.
Your spoilt for choice.
Don’t think the residents would appreciate this. Much better to pay and stay somewhere. Lovely site at Hawkinge that is set up to help travellers with an early start. I don’t leave my house expecting to park outside someone else’s.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
There are a couple of pubs about 15 min drive from tunnel. We have sometimes driven down previous day. Stopped at campsite attached to pub , had a meal and caught train following morning.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We head down a day or two earlier and head to Little Switzerland CP

ALWAYS get at least one Spitfire OTT for the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel Le Ferne and it's such a beautiful place to relax looking over the channel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back