FLT's - Why? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've always seen FLT as used on here as a lighthearted term for wild campers.......rarely do members call each other tossers (or prats:whistle:) and mean it and when they do they get banned.

Anyone that is deliberately inconsiderate or rude to others or is downright selfish is a tosser, and that applies to everyone not just motorhomers

Members on here are not FLTs in the rudest derogatory sense - it's what wildcampers on here happily call themselves...in FUN

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
after 10 pages and over an hr of trying to make sense of it all, I think I'll have a Fray Bentos pie and a lay down.:yawn:
... I'd forget the pie ... you might not get up again if you eat one! :D2

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've always seen FLT as used on here as a lighthearted term for wild campers.......rarely do members call each other tossers (or prats:whistle:) and mean it and when they do they get banned.

Anyone that is deliberately inconsiderate or rude to others or is downright selfish is a tosser, and that applies to everyone not just motorhomers

Members on here are not FLTs in the rudest derogatory sense - it's what wildcampers on here happily call themselves...in FUN
Do you think it's possible that the longer term members know the history of this term and how it is generally understood and not taken as an offensive term whilst other members have a little 'catch up' to do. Just thinking that's all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Interestingly, in Norway, you are required to pull over and let traffic by if you are going slower than the speed limit and more than 2 vehicles are behind you. I wonder if something similar could be adopted in Scotland or wherever there are issues of roadblocking?

It’s already a requirement here (it may not specify ‘more than 2 vehicles’ but it’s a requirement nonetheless).

It’s the non-adherence to this rule that is creating the problem on the NC500 (and elsewhere).

Ian

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't have any issues with paying for an aire, stellplatz or rastplass, etc as long as its not choc a block with other vehicles.

Paying has never been the issue in avoiding sites - we simply don't like them or wish to stay on them.

Our attitude entirely.

We did stay on a site in Germany but it was more like a big CL, beautiful views - room for 40 or so MHs and we were 4. Very friendly guy who ran it, who gave us cassette dump, and fresh water for all-in of €7. He was also the chef in the restaurant and very good it was. It was a pleasure to spend the money, especially since he sat down at table with us for a chat - he lived 3 years in Maidenhead.

Geoff

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
A view from a brand new disciple of motor homes.

With the danger of raising a few hackles..........

As brand new camping car owners we have spent the last 5 weeks touring around various countries. Before the grand tour we took Claude the camping car for a test night to a site at Gruisson on the south coast of France near to where we live. We paid only 5 € (or maybe 10 €, I can't remember which), to park for the night. There was no electricity etc but there was a toilet block, showers and a waste area, none of which we needed to use.

The site is very well located and clean. It was absolutely hell in every way! Noise, noise, noise. The camper van next door to us was German who had met up with some French friends. I have never heard four people shout so loudly when telling stories. An afternoon siesta after our celebratory lunch was out of the question.

I know that all you advocates of using camp sites (and there appears to be a very large number of you) will tell me that normally all is peaceful and quiet. We hated the whole environment, sorry. We are very social people, running a restaurant you have to be but we did not enjoy the experience and have zero intention of ever using a site again and we did not do so on the subsequent 5 week tour, and do not plan to when we return to the UK this week. Sorry.

When we toured through Italy
Night 1. We parked in a car park in front of a restaurant where we ate
Night 2. We parked on an industrial estate.
Night 3. In a general parking area for all vehicles near to the beach.

In Greece we tended to park in much wilder places but normally within walking distance of a restaurant. We did on 2 occasions park in wilderness down tracks but we did not even see anybody on those nights and we only stopped once for more than one night even when parked in car parks.

To sum up, we are not avoiding campsites to save money in any way. We don't skimp and we are not mean. I don't think we caused any problems for anybody on our travels in any way.

I do feel however that a Forum like this where there are obviously two very different viewpoints would be wise to avoid awful terms like FLT. I think anybody who has to use derogatory terms in order to make a point has a very weak argument to start with. I certainly do not disrespect anybody's decision to stay on a campsite, it is simply not for us.

I do hope that we will see less use of such terms when discussing general subjects. As far as I am aware this site is about the exchange of information, assistance and most of all enjoyment. There will always be little tin pot people of all persuasions and on both sides of the argument who have to much time on their hands and like to have a rant but I do hope that it can stay polite.

Am I wrong?

Pleased you had a good trip and enjoyed it(y) :) pity your one night on a campsite was spoiled by poorly behaved campers :(

I note you do say that you do say "I certainly do not disrespect anybody's decision to stay on a campsite, it is simply not for us." (y)

Unfortunately some on here do seem to "look down on" folks who use campsites whilst others seem to look down on those who wild camp calling them names!! like FLT

Now we do both so on this forum we are "damned if we do and damned if we don't" - maybe we should be called DMHS damned Motor Homers!

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I wear my FLT badge with pride, even had the T combined with Canvey as my forum name for a while just to cost @DuxDeluxe money. I always consider myself in FLT mode when camping for nothing, the last 3 weeks spent on a full facility site didn’t cost me a penny because I was stewarding a rally, proper FLT mode.
@BreweryDave calls me T often enough but that’s because I still owe him €6 for breakfast from 2017. A moving target is hard to hit :D2

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Earlier we were parked on a car park (motorhomes forbidden to stay overnight). The very same I mentioned earlier! We walked (I hobbled) into the village and on our arrival back there were hundreds of visitors arriving to go to the village and, possibly, have lunch (Spanish, of course, we are in Spain!) so we moved here to give them space to park nearer. We are, after all, considerate FUNSTERS :LOL::LOL:(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll throw some questions back at you:)

1. If you liked staying on campsites with all their facilities but chose only to stay 2 or 3 days on each one which is more convenient MoHo or caravan?

2. If your self contained vehicle is a PVC with no shower or a true "campervan" - VW etc. why would you not stay on sites sometimes if only to shower?

3. We stay on a mixture of sites, Aire & occasionally wild - never staying anywhere more than 4 days (usually 2 or 3) what form of vehicle would you recommend for that type of travel?

We had caravans for 35 years initially staying on sites for 1 or 2 weeks at a time as work allowed but after we retired we preferred to "tour" around a bit more and felt a MoHo was a better bet!! (y)

As to seeing nicer places than we do - that may or may not be true you do not know where we go and we go not know where you go - suffice to say that in the approximately 120 days we spend a year in our MoHo in Scotland, Wales, England, France, Spain & Portugal we see enough to suit us ;)

1. If I wanted to use campsites I'd buy a caravan. That's never going to happen though.

2. I wouldn't buy such a vehicle and to be honest don't the the point of them. If you did choose to buy such a thing, much like caravans, I suppose you have no option but to use campsites. If people choose to impose such a restriction on themselves it's up to them I guess but I don't get it.

3. You obviously have a self contained vehicle if you use it off grid. Why would you choose the stifling restriction of a campsite?

You aren't going to find out about the places I stay either, especially the wild spots. Once people find out about them they tend to be not as quiet or nice any more so I keep them to myself and I'd advise anyone else who knows good places to do exactly the same thing.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
F L T's..................... why are you picking on fork lift trucks?????:D:D

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have come to this late and started to lose the will to live by the 3rd page, so have not read it all.

@Jim has set out where FLT started, and I can understand that. But it seems to me that over the last few years it has been adopted by some people on this forum who think you must always stay on campsites as a derogatory term to describe us members who, for whatever reason, do not particularly like campsites. That is why some of us have chosen to take up the term to describe ourselves as FLTs although we do not fit into the original description given by Jim.

We are lucky enough to be able to afford to stay in campsites if we wanted to, but generally we avoid them because we do not like them. That is because they are rarely in places that we want to visit and they are often too big and noisy and crowded. And in the places we stay at we have had no problems relaxing and cooking outside. But if a campsite is where we want to be we will stay there, as we did a few days ago at Koblenz.

On Friday night we stayed at a lovely little quiet free Aire in a tiny French village that only had 4 places on the banks of a small river. We could sit out and cook and eat if we wanted to. We had it all to ourselves until until a Dutch van turned up after dark. Maybe the OP has just not found the right Aires yet?

So I am definitely not an FLT as originally described, but am happy to adopt that term for the way I motorhome if that is what some funsters want to call me.

And finally, in reply to the OP's title to this thread, I would just reply with the words "why not?".

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Screenshot 2018-10-14 at 14.19.18.png
Reg Plate for the hard core FLT.. or nice avatar ;)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am posting this separately from my post above to introduce a different aspect of the choices between sites/aire/wild.

Most MHomers (90%?) travel as couples. I wonder how many choose their style of parking according to the preference of the other half and how many couples agree on a joint style that suits both of them.

I am lucky in that for the first 2 years of the MH I was of the wild/aires etc. style and that when I got together with Basia she was also happy with this - well she had been a Scout and had tent camped with her children, so a 7m MH with toilet/shower was a step up. The only change we made is that when she washes her hair she feels free to use as much water as she wants, so we ensure we know where we can refill water next day.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
1. If I wanted to use campsites I'd buy a caravan. That's never going to happen though.

2. I wouldn't buy such a vehicle and to be honest don't the the point of them. If you did choose to buy such a thing, much like caravans, I suppose you have no option but to use campsites. If people choose to impose such a restriction on themselves it's up to them I guess but I don't get it.

The reason most people start off with a caravan is they are young, have very little money and have a young family that they wish to take away on holiday. You can, even in this day and age, buy a caravan and tow vehicle for a great deal less than a Motorhome and can use the vehicle to get around with when not on holiday. In my opinion, having raised my family and grandchildren on the joys of caravanning with all the freedoms this brings for little ones, a caravan is far more suitable than a Motorhome. Now, as oldies, we love the motor homing lifestyle but would not be thrilled at the prospect of wild camping with young children, especially on a wet day. Each to his own and no one has the right to criticise others for their choices!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
7 pages since I left last night !!!! :rofl:

Look at Exmouth seafront

People there weeks

Free loading tossers!
They've done them a favour stopping it.

Oh dear, are you in the UK now because your VED is overdue mate ;)
I think it gets auto cancelled when you sell, which Tam has.(y)

We’ve used sites in the UK and abroad (most in the UK are quiet after 11pm)
Not a lot of use if you go to bed at 8 though:(

I have come to this late and started to lose the will to live by the 3rd page, so have not read it all.
Popcorn was supplied page 5 onwards.(y)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

3. You obviously have a self contained vehicle if you use it off grid. Why would you choose the stifling restriction of a campsite?

You aren't going to find out about the places I stay either, especially the wild spots. Once people find out about them they tend to be not as quiet or nice any more so I keep them to myself and I'd advise anyone else who knows good places to do exactly the same thing.

In answer to your points

1. Whether or not you ever use campsites or indeed buy a caravan is of course entirely up to you

2. Lots of people on this very forum have PVC's or campervans - their choice surely?

3. I use our van (a Hymer MLI 580 - fully winterised - all the "bells & whistles") - off grid a fair bit, particularly in Scotland and like you I have no intention of sharing my wilding spots (BTW I was not asking you to share yours in my original post):)

As to your remark Why would you choose the stifling restriction of a campsite? I guess that is where we differ the campsites below are some I have recently stayed at and I did not find them at all stifling - no doubt there are "stifling" campsites - I'll take your word for that - I have never been on one, in fact if I found a site or indeed an Aire or wildspot stifling then I would not stay there!:eek:

I am puzzled why you seem to "look down" on those who use campsites - I believe in "each to his own" and as long as we behave reasonably we should all be allowed enjoy our hobby/lifestyle without having to justify it to anyone!:cautious:

018.JPG

050.JPG

057.JPG

147.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
we should all be allowed enjoy our hobby/lifestyle without having to justify it to anyone

So why are you giving me a hard time because I hate campsites then?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003

When you and your wife ( if you have one) are both in your seventies and you are happy just to be able to still drive and stay on a site for 6 months to live out the Winter in comfort you may change your mind and have a bit more respect for us oldies.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When you and your wife ( if you have one) are both in your seventies and you are happy just to be able to still drive and stay on a site for 6 months to live out the Winter in comfort you may change your mind and have a bit more respect for us oldies.

If I make it to that age and I'm still on the road I can assure you I won't be staying on a site for 6 hours never mind 6 months.

If it came to the point where that's all I could do I'd give up completely.

Why do you bring age into it anyway? I don't see the relevance.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The 'f' word, in any form, is offensive and I too don't understand people wanting to use the Oh Please! phrase ... I know it's a way of inferring their frustration but surely there must be another way to do that?

I do 'swear' on the forum but not with really offensive words (well I don't think they are anyway!) in order to get across how madly/badly something has affected me as sometimes its difficult to get the true meaning across otherwise.

Oh, and I don't like the French Connection UK either ...
I think it's only our generation that still finds it offensive - and even then l doubt there's a man on here who hasn't used it in male workplace company. We (our generation) and our parents seemed to divide the words used when swearing into acceptable and unacceptable. We were OK with 'bloody', 'hell', 'damn', and others but Anglo-Saxon and some forms of blasphemy were strongly discouraged. The following generation and the one after that have no such hangups. I don't have any issue with the use of any of them but vary my verbal and written use depending on the intended audience. They are only words and unless intended to offend are pretty harmless.:)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Cricky I would, if it meant I could still escape the British winter.
Because it is relevant to @Mikeco.
Blooming hec Nick, you could have an argument in an empty room! :doh:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If I make it to that age and I'm still on the road I can assure you I won't be staying on a site for 6 hours never mind 6 months.

The relevance is that you have said more than once that if you use sites get a caravan. What you don’t appear to appreciate is that many older people who have had a motorhome for many years do not wish or cannot afford to change to a caravan and car and therefore use what they have.
Bye the way we have also ended up with a pvc after having had quite a few motorhomes and caravans which is also on your never list.
Finished with this post now.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
So why are you giving me a hard time because I hate campsites then?

I'm afraid you misunderstand me if you think I am giving you a "hard time":(

I have replied to your points in the same way as you replied to mine - if you wish to "hate" campsites then that is your prerogative but it is also my prerogative to stay on camp sites, Aires or wild spots without anyone telling me Why would you choose the stifling restriction of a campsite?

Simples! :)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp

Lovely fotos Robert :)

Believe it or not you can get some lovely fotos close to nature on Campsites too (see post #230 and I do have lots more I could show if required - we too do love camping close to nature (y) )

Just because some folk use campsites from time to time does not mean that they do not like and appreciate nature and beautiful scenery - as I have said before we use a mixture of sites, Aires & wild spots and as we are all different with different likes, aims etc. then I firmly believe we should respect each others views on where we choose to camp particularly on this funsters site! :sneaky::)

Just saying!! (y)(y):D2

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back