LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Despite the title, this is not meant to be a contentious thread and I hope it doesn't turn into a "My way is best thread" (some hope!). I am just interested and judging by many posts on other threads, other people would also be.

I think the attitude of the "FLT" is what get folks' backs up in here. Some post "I will not pay, I get free, I expect free, why should I pay" or at least it comes across like that.

But you also get likes of @FIDGET who have just experienced real France by staying on aires, free or not, and seeing the place as the French see it. Tongue in cheek they call themselves FLT but are clearly not, they obviously love France and do not want a gate and fences between France and themselves.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Robert Clark love the photos, love the number plate on your new van can see you are oviously a FLT :D.

From what started out as quite a good thread how these threads turn into school playground arguments makes me smile, read the abbreviations as your want they can mean different things to different people but to get het up about some abreveations, this is Motorhome Fun not Motorhome let's score points.

@JJ. as aside its surprising who likes Fray Bentos pies :)

I have read most of the thread but getting bored now, does it matter how we use our vans what ever shape size or price it's about freedom to choose how we motor home responsibility without being judged.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Anyway, all of these photos of wild camping places reminds me why I like the costas and the Algarve, and avoid those wildy places, they’re just too damn quiet for me, you oldies can keep em :p

Give me bit of life and people to have a beer with ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@Robert Clark love the photos, love the number plate on your new van can see you are oviously a FLT :D.

From what started out as quite a good thread how these threads turn into school playground arguments makes me smile, read the abbreviations as your want they can mean different things to different people but to get het up about some abreveations, this is Motorhome Fun not Motorhome let's score points.

@JJ. as aside its surprising who likes Fray Bentos pies :)

I have read most of the thread but getting bored now, does it matter how we use our vans what ever shape size or price it's about freedom to choose how we motor home responsibility without being judged.

As usual, Carol, you come on and post with the voice of reason :).

I don't know why some people get so upset about some things. I have no problem with how people use their vans just as long as they don't upset other people and some real FLTs are doing just that :(.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Location, location, location, I will choose whatever option gets me nearest the place I want to visit. If it’s free that more to spend locally, maybe even the occasional bar. In France if there’s an aire next to a municiple site, I’ll use the site because I believe they are a resource worth protecting.
I will occasionally choose a site just because I want to get the bbq out and kick back with a 10 beer barbecue. I can’t be WRONG because it’s my choice.
As for the T part I’m on my own just waiting for the price of the robotic dolls to come down :dance2:

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
As for the T part I’m on my own just waiting for the price of the robotic dolls to come down.:dance2:

Be careful. Did you hear about the guy who ordered a Blow-up Doll from Amazon. When it arrived he inflated it to find it was a male! He immediately telephoned customer support to be told it was his own fault as he had blown it up inside out!!!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Great piccys @Robert Clark but it just shows how diverse we all are and how we all have different needs. Fantastic scenery but I would spend about half an hour looking at it and would then be thinking, "what can I do now?". They are the sort of places I would like to ride to on the scoot and then move on to somewhere else before returning to a site where hopefully we will be close enough to a bar or pub where we can interact with others. As I say, not everyones preference but one which suits us.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
For my part this thread has been an eye opener. I had always assumed that the FLT / "Drive, Park, Live, Move On, Motorhoming" people were more than just full-time van dwellers. In my ignorance I'd expected them to be free agents, going where the weather or mood took them, rarely staying in a given location for more than a week or so before heading off for another adventure, ticking off one county after another...........

I'd never, ever associated the: "No Matter Where I Roam, Where I Park My Van Is Home" philosophy with having ride-on lawn mowers, chain saws and drilling for water. Fray Bentos pies, maybe. But do you have to make a bore hole at every place you stop? Must be pretty remote if you can't park the van and find a nearby tap. :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well, I guess its a motorbike club.

There was and may be still a biker group called the Coggeshall Bastards. Are you saying that neither of these groups know what it is they're calling themselves? They use it for shock factor. They're bass-ass bikers - that's what they want to convey.

Whatever, their reasons for naming themselves the point is that they themselves named their group. They didn't have the name foisted upon them.

We're not talking about the word Funster - we're talking about a section of the membership being called tossers... totally different!
A BMW owner using something for shock tactics :rofl::rofl:

No.......... And the fact that virtually no one who does not use that forum knows its origins validates that point..

It is just a bit of fun.. Nothing more sinister at all

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We did our first ever FLT last week. Rickerby Park in Carlyle and a carpark in Perth. We had planned a Scottish tour but we developed a starting problem and ended up driving home. The original plan was a mix of FL s and CLs or even one or two proper Camping sites. Mechanical issues and the rain defeated us. Plus the return of my stomach issues scuppered the trip. Undaunted we will try again next May maybe.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Having read through this thread I can only observe:
1. There are some who cannot understand why people use campsites.
2. There are some who cannot understand why people use aires and wild camp
3. There are some who don't mind and just enjoy what they are doing.

I'm in 3

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did our first ever FLT last week. Rickerby Park in Carlyle and a carpark in Perth. We had planned a Scottish tour but we developed a starting problem and ended up driving home. The original plan was a mix of FL s and CLs or even one or two proper Camping sites. Mechanical issues and the rain defeated us. Plus the return of my stomach issues scuppered the trip. Undaunted we will try again next May maybe.
We at least you tried.:)
Hope you get the van and stomach sorted quickly.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Having read through this thread I can only observe:
1. There are some who cannot understand why people use campsites.
2. There are some who cannot understand why people use aires and wild camp
3. There are some who don't mind and just enjoy what they are doing.

I'm in 3

I’d add:

4. There are some who don’t understand why some don’t understand.

I’m in 3. and 4. :)

Ian

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
4. There are some who don’t understand why some don’t understand.
It’s the ones who don’t understand those, that I don’t understand. Some people probably don’t understand why I think that way. That’s understandable.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Its a victim of its own success. It has given the tourism industry a shot in the arm though. You can't have it both ways.

I see that one of the quotes in the article stated that some people didn't know how to drive a motorhome. I think it would be down to the large number of rental motorhomes on the road. A Norwegian couple we spoke with recently said the same thing. The roads in Norway are 'challenging' even when you're used to driving a large vehicle - let alone getting in one for the first time and attempting them.

Interestingly, in Norway, you are required to pull over and let traffic by if you are going slower than the speed limit and more than 2 vehicles are behind you. I wonder if something similar could be adopted in Scotland or wherever there are issues of roadblocking?
As far as I’am aware it is the same in Scotland that you have to pull over and let other traffic pass if you are holding them up. Meant to say this applies to single track roads.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It’s the ones who don’t understand those, that I don’t understand. Some people probably don’t understand why I think that way. That’s understandable.

Understood! :D2

Ian

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm afraid you misunderstand me if you think I am giving you a "hard time":(

I have replied to your points in the same way as you replied to mine - if you wish to "hate" campsites then that is your prerogative but it is also my prerogative to stay on camp sites, Aires or wild spots without anyone telling me Why would you choose the stifling restriction of a campsite?

Simples! :)
To be honest I think half the problem is every other week there's some thread started having a go at folk who don't use sites.
There is rarely a thread started having a go at those who do.

And I think that's what annoys those who are jokingly or not called the flt

Personally I couldn't care less if someone calls me an flt ...I call my self it as I'm not that easily offended ...I also call myself many other derogatory names because it doesn't bother me.

It's usually in these threads that folk who do wild camp will then retaliate by saying they can't understand those using sites.

So a good way to stop that from happening would be to stop creating threads asking why folk don't use sites , or where they dump waste, or where they get water, or threads about how people wildcamping in motorhomes get motorhomers bad names, or threads about motorhomes in carparks etc etc etc.

I've been wildcamping( I can't even call it that on here cause some pillock will post a link defining their idea of wild camping and their standard quote of dusty carparks) for 28 years ....I used to use some sites up till 15 years ago when one too many haven holiday parks broke my sanity ....and now I only ever wildcamp.

I do it for a few reasons, peace and quiet, few neighbours ,close to somewhere i want to visit, cost, convenience.....etc etc but mainly because I want to....and that's all that should matter.

People who use sites keep saying that same thing but then they do seem to be quick to jump on these threads .....often the same folk quoting chapter and verse on legalities and legislation that to be honest we already know.

I don't see anywhere near as many threads started about sites

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think it's only our generation that still finds it offensive - and even then l doubt there's a man on here who hasn't used it in male workplace company. We (our generation) and our parents seemed to divide the words used when swearing into acceptable and unacceptable. We were OK with 'bloody', 'hell', 'damn', and others but Anglo-Saxon and some forms of blasphemy were strongly discouraged. The following generation and the one after that have no such hangups. I don't have any issue with the use of any of them but vary my verbal and written use depending on the intended audience. They are only words and unless intended to offend are pretty harmless.:)
I have to admit i swear quite a bit :p

My dad used to use some very strange swear words ....

Like Billy Connolly I quite like the f word as it's internationally understood and multifunctional :p

I will try to chuck an Irish twang of feck on it if in polite company
It seems to be less offensive.

I've always wondered though where when and how some words were deemed as swear words or offensive

Bloody is a perfect example...where when and how was that made a swearword ..I'm genuinely curious as my dad used that all the time aswell as flipping

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have to admit i swear quite a bit :p

My dad used to use some very strange swear words ....

Like Billy Connolly I quite like the f word as it's internationally understood and multifunctional :p

I will try to chuck an Irish twang of feck on it if in polite company
It seems to be less offensive.

I've always wondered though where when and how some words were deemed as swear words or offensive

Bloody is a perfect example...where when and how was that made a swearword ..I'm genuinely curious as my dad used that all the time aswell as flipping
I seem to remember reading that 'bloody' is a corruption of 'by my Lord' or 'by my Lordy'. My point is really that they're all just words. Context is everything - it's perfectly possible to seriously offend without swearing and it's perfectly possible to swear without causing offence. Except that some are offended by the use of swear words simply because they're swear words. Oh Please! :D2.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
For my part this thread has been an eye opener. I had always assumed that the FLT / "Drive, Park, Live, Move On, Motorhoming" people were more than just full-time van dwellers. In my ignorance I'd expected them to be free agents, going where the weather or mood took them, rarely staying in a given location for more than a week or so before heading off for another adventure, ticking off one county after another...........

I'd never, ever associated the: "No Matter Where I Roam, Where I Park My Van Is Home" philosophy with having ride-on lawn mowers, chain saws and drilling for water. Fray Bentos pies, maybe. But do you have to make a bore hole at every place you stop? Must be pretty remote if you can't park the van and find a nearby tap. :D

If we're out in the middle of nowhere, and we often are, we use a submersible pump and draw water from rivers and lakes if they're clean. If they've got a bit of debris (not pollution) we filter the water through gauze first... line a shallow container with the gauze and put the pump in it. It works really well.

We do carry an axe and a saw

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If we're out in the middle of nowhere, and we often are, we use a submersible pump and draw water from rivers and lakes if they're clean. If they've got a bit of debris (not pollution) we filter the water through gauze first... line a shallow container with the gauze and put the pump in it. It works really well.

We do carry an axe and a saw
Me too :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As far as I’am aware it is the same in Scotland that you have to pull over and let other traffic pass if you are holding them up. Meant to say this applies to single track roads.

I don't think the rule applies in the UK. In my experience the single track roads in the UK have passing places but it is in order the allow on-coming vehicles to pass each other - not to allow vehicles behind pass. Of course you may decide to do this out of courtesy if you have a string of cars behind you but I don't think its a rule in the highway code.

In Norway you are required to pull over to allow cars to overtake you if you're going slower than the speed limit no matter what road. It works well.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I don't think the rule applies in the UK. In my experience the single track roads in the UK have passing places but it is in order the allow on-coming vehicles to pass each other - not to allow vehicles behind pass. Of course you may decide to do this out of courtesy if you have a string of cars behind you but I don't think its a rule in the highway code.

In Norway you are required to pull over to allow cars to overtake you if you're going slower than the speed limit no matter what road. It works well.
The Highway Code, section 133:
passing-place.jpg
Single-track roads. These roads are only wide enough for one vehicle. They have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
To be honest I think half the problem is every other week there's some thread started having a go at folk who don't use sites.
There is rarely a thread started having a go at those who do.

And I think that's what annoys those who are jokingly or not called the flt

Personally I couldn't care less if someone calls me an flt ...I call my self it as I'm not that easily offended ...I also call myself many other derogatory names because it doesn't bother me.

It's usually in these threads that folk who do wild camp will then retaliate by saying they can't understand those using sites.

So a good way to stop that from happening would be to stop creating threads asking why folk don't use sites , or where they dump waste, or where they get water, or threads about how people wildcamping in motorhomes get motorhomers bad names, or threads about motorhomes in carparks etc etc etc.

I've been wildcamping( I can't even call it that on here cause some pillock will post a link defining their idea of wild camping and their standard quote of dusty carparks) for 28 years ....I used to use some sites up till 15 years ago when one too many haven holiday parks broke my sanity ....and now I only ever wildcamp.

I do it for a few reasons, peace and quiet, few neighbours ,close to somewhere i want to visit, cost, convenience.....etc etc but mainly because I want to....and that's all that should matter.

People who use sites keep saying that same thing but then they do seem to be quick to jump on these threads .....often the same folk quoting chapter and verse on legalities and legislation that to be honest we already know.

I don't see anywhere near as many threads started about sites

Couldn't have put it better myself Tam. Well said.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My point is really that they're all just words. Context is everything - it's perfectly possible to seriously offend without swearing and it's perfectly possible to swear without causing offence. Except that some are offended by the use of swear words simply because they're swear words. Oh Please! :D2.

I agree.

I swear at times... well quite often in fact. I understand that its not the done thing on some forums... this one being a case in point, so I don't do so here.

What I don't understand is the infantile use of asterisks, or miss-spelling, etc on this site to try to somehow disguise the words... is it some form of stealth swearing??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back