LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Presently setting up registration details on The Fiat Camper APP, lot of details required or what?
We are scanning in copies of everything including my driving license, V5, Warranty Form (partially completed by Carthago but all in German). Wish me luck on getting it set up properly and getting it live.
Will be interesting to see if we get a Green or a Red indicator, the suspense is too much!:unsure:
You only need to put your VIN number and vehicle details the rest is an option just for your own reference.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I know that the majority of camper vans/motorhomes are built on Fiats, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of issues with this manufacturer, juddergate, dashgate, fifth gear gate, scuttlegate, injector wiring gate and now egr/camshaft gate.
I wonder, as a percentage overall, how many vehicles have been affected by all these issues ?

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
:)

No need to bother with all that (unless you want to of course :)). Just go to https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/home and enter your VIN in the Chassis Check box at the bottom right corner.

You can register or log in to My Ducato from that page also. They have recently refreshed/restyled it though, and to be honest it contains far less information on my van at least than it used to, which wasn't a lot to start with. No longer seems to be any access to the build specification, and the warranty information is less than was previously shown :(

Edit: See that @Lenny HB has already mentioned this. Teach me to read posts properly rather then scan reading them before posting :oops:

Yep - just done that and mines coming up ok too many thanks to you and @Lenny HB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
All manufacturers have issues. Vehicles are assembled from many thousands of parts, a substantial number obtained from outside suppliers. It is because the majority of motorhomes are built on Fiat chassis that you probably are more aware of their problems, but overall they fare quite well IMO.
A quick search of critical safety recalls initiated by DVSA from model launch to present date (which encompasses more than one model from each manufacturer) shows
Fiat Ducato 22 recalls
Ford Transit 33 recalls
Mercedes Sprinter 64 recalls

Obviously this doesn't include non-safety recalls or modifications dealt with in house, but gives a general indication.

If you buy a new model or one with a substantial change such as a newly introduced engine or transmission, you are more likely to find yourself as a test bed for the manufacturer, with real world issues arising in service that were not apparent or uncovered during pre-production testing.

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Our 2017 150bhp had the camshaft recall done before we collected it new, and has already been in to see if it needed the egr recall, which it does, and is now going in on the 13th to have the work done, the Fiat dealer reckons the engine had to be dropped to do the work on a A class![/QUOte

Could you please tell me if it is ok for you to drive the motorhome in the meantime, Fiat have just booked us an appointment for the 16th November in Cartagena Spain as we are travelling.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Hi they told me it was OK to drive and I have done about 350 miles since they last checked it.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Hi. Just checked out my 2017 van with the dealer. It is subject to a recall for the EGR pipe. AND also a vehicle service notification to update the Engine Control Module Software to upgrade Euro 6 calibration with a new data set to improve emission performance in real driving conditions. The latter fills me with dread! Has anyone had this upgrade and has it any impact on performance or drivability?
Ps. the Camper App did alert me automatically that there was a recall, didn’t say how many!

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
just checked the app and ours has red light, so we gotta sort it, great..........:(

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
and does anyone know who the nearest fiat workshop to cannock is?, do i need to contact camper assist first?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
and does anyone know who the nearest fiat workshop to cannock is?, do i need to contact camper assist first?

Open your web browser.
Type "Fiat Professional Dealers"
Select one of the links returned.

In Google, the top five links all go to the official FP website dealer locator. You also get a map with the nearest pinpointed if you have location search enabled in your browser or OS.

Simples!

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
There's one here in Stoke
There must be one closer to cannock though

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My app shows red i.e. 2017 180bhp Auto, never had any notification though which is strange but will get it sorted now i know, great forum, they know before anyone else :) probably wouldnt of known this unless they send out letters which at present we have not had. Still my van is being picked up next week for some warranty issues so i will see if they can do it if not i will take it Adams Morey when i get it back. Need to get it sorted before we go away mid december so good job i read it now :)
Thanks

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Turns out mine (2017 130bhp 2.3) has the EGR pipe fault.

Bear in mind that not all Fiat Professional dealerships can fit a MH into their service bay - my nearest one can't, so I'm having to ring round.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Turns out mine (2017 130bhp 2.3) has the EGR pipe fault.

Bear in mind that not all Fiat Professional dealerships can fit a MH into their service bay - my nearest one can't, so I'm having to ring round.

You can filter the network dealer list on the FP website by those that accept motorhomes.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
ok, update time.........

spoke to fiatassist, yes theres a safety recall, emphasis on the safety bit, i asked if safe to drive until looked at and they said as they have told me about blah blah then its 'up to me' !! so covering their backs, and fairly so i guess. they gave me our two nearest approved workshops, so we are booked in monday at stafford platts.

and yes, there are letters ABOUT to be sent out, apparently the mailing hasnt started yet???

will update as we go.............

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for posting this. We have a new 130 van (less than a month old) but we had to take to Fiat as it was suffering severe lack of power. It was down to 35mph in 3rd on a gentle uphill slip road! It's still in the garage with parts on order. Just tried to look up about the EGR recall and the site reported that the van was built before 2005. Just rang Fiat camper who confirmed its a late 2016 build chassis and can't understand why the web-site is reporting thus. They also confirm that it's due the EGR fix so they are getting onto the garage to see if that's what they are replacing.

Thanks to Fun, we may have avoided a return to the garage to have that done later.

Slightly concerned that when the lack of power was mentioned to the supplying dealer, one option suggested was to get it re-chipped! The ten-year-old van we traded in had the same 130 horses and was slightly heavier yet performed no problems. That hadn't been re-chipped either!.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good Luck Meanders, I hope that the Fiat Garage will fix the EGR and power problem for you once they have it on the ramps, run the diagnostic, it should show where the problem is and they will then deal with it.
As for the dealer to suggest a re-map on a new van!, well lets just say that unless Fiat do it, then this would be a silly thing to do as if your engine fails due to an independent re-map, you probably wont be covered under The Fiat Warranty. Its maybe something to consider once you have some decent mileage on the clock and the engine is run in nicely and its beyond its 2 year warranty, but for the relatively small gain in BHP, and the cost of a decent rolling road re-map, I personally would NOT take the risk of invalidating my warranty.
You will probably find that when you get your van sorted, and you have more miles on it, that the new engine will loosen up, so less friction, and probably more MPG also.
Good luck, happy travels

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I am due to pick up my new motorhome in a few weeks 150 so assume it is late 16 or early 17 build so will need to check .

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Thanks for posting this. We have a new 130 van (less than a month old) but we had to take to Fiat as it was suffering severe lack of power. It was down to 35mph in 3rd on a gentle uphill slip road! It's still in the garage with parts on order. Just tried to look up about the EGR recall and the site reported that the van was built before 2005. Just rang Fiat camper who confirmed its a late 2016 build chassis and can't understand why the web-site is reporting thus. They also confirm that it's due the EGR fix so they are getting onto the garage to see if that's what they are replacing.

Thanks to Fun, we may have avoided a return to the garage to have that done later.

Slightly concerned that when the lack of power was mentioned to the supplying dealer, one option suggested was to get it re-chipped! The ten-year-old van we traded in had the same 130 horses and was slightly heavier yet performed no problems. That hadn't been re-chipped either!.

Our professional dealer told me after checking ours out that it was alright to use while waiting, and it the EGR pipe did fail then we would notice a reduction in power.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am due to pick up my new motorhome in a few weeks 150 so assume it is late 16 or early 17 build so will need to check .
Get the VIN number and ring Fiat and check and if it needs doing get the dealer to sort it before picking up.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
FWIW, the EGR cooler appears particularly fragile on the F3x (3 series) and 5 series BMWs at the moment.
The EGR cooler on my F31 335d cracked during a trips to the Alps. The car threw a drivetrain malfunction error and lost a small amount of coolant, but the car drove OK once restarted. BMW replaced the EGR cooler and I've heard of many cases of similar failures

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The Camshaft issue mainly concerned vehicles in Australia. As of last week there were no updates relating to my 180.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
what a great club this is just checked my VIN no problem ray xx lol still lol fix it again tomorrow F.I.A,T :groan::swear2:

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....

Interesting comments, in the summer we briefly had a 160hp Peugeot PVC, which I always thought was quick, due to issues we changed to a 130hp Fiat A class, and I always felt it was severely underpowered, we are often flat out in 4th at 45mph on motorway inclines, I had been considering having it chipped, but wonder if this could be the cause, I had just assumed the performance was just down to slightly extra weight, worse aerodynamics, and an older designed lower powered engine.

Being an a class, just concerned how long it will take to fix?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
@Wh05apk. We dropped back to 30mph in 3rd on the hill you will know on the A12 after you leave Suffolk heading towards Colchester while taking it into Salmon's.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just had my 2016 Carado in at camper UK for first habitation and warranty jobs to be done .
They told me of the Fiat recall , when they took the " faulty " pipe off where the bracket keeps breaking mine had broken off the EGR valve itself ,
They are awaiting Fiats response as it needs a new EGR valve complete .
I have only been getting around 25 mpg so we will see if the leaking EGR has been the problem ,

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What is the cut-off (DATE) for this?. I put my vin into the system and it comes back clear?.
for the camshaft, see post 19

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back