Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
@Lynne Roy

:thanks4:
A big thank you for bringing this up. I've just checked the VIN number on Fiat website and there is a recall on the van.

Booked in for repair end of this month, hopefully that is the end of it!

Glad you are booked in, we are going to Fiat in Cartagena on Thursday to get ours done, we may then have to wait 4 days for the part, never mind the sun is shining, then homeward bound.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting comments, in the summer we briefly had a 160hp Peugeot PVC, which I always thought was quick, due to issues we changed to a 130hp Fiat A class, and I always felt it was severely underpowered, we are often flat out in 4th at 45mph on motorway inclines, I had been considering having it chipped, but wonder if this could be the cause, I had just assumed the performance was just down to slightly extra weight, worse aerodynamics, and an older designed lower powered engine.

Being an a class, just concerned how long it will take to fix?

Wh05apk, I 100% agree with that. The Peugeot 160bhp euro 6 is a peach of an engine, and is getting very good reviews from owners on other forums. It drives and cruises effortlessly and the engine perfectly matched to it's gearbox ratios. I had 130 bhp Fiat engine on my last motorhome, it always felt sluggish, working hard and had no torque. Hills and gradiants were always a torture and down to second on some long climbs. Half the pleasure should be in the driving experience and I just could not live with it in the end. I was fed up with taking it back, and all the dealer guessing that went with it, so I went over to Peugeot and have had no regrets. It seems that the most bits that go wrong on Peugeot's are the things shared and supplied by Fiat for the electricals etc. Fiat need to start getting their act together including among other things the comfortmatic gearboxes which can also be a nightmare to live if you get a wrong un especially if second hand and out of warranty.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We'll currently sat at platts in Stafford awaiting outcome of pipe inspection (ooh er:oops:)
Apparently it's down to if the pipe is bolted on left or right side??:confused: will post more when we knows more.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My thanks to all the helpful Funsters for this recall alert. (y)

Mine is now booked in for the EGR pipe replacement next week and the Fiat parts are on order.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Wh05apk, I 100% agree with that. The Peugeot 160bhp euro 6 is a peach of an engine, and is getting very good reviews from owners on other forums. It drives and cruises effortlessly and the engine perfectly matched to it's gearbox ratios. I had 130 bhp Fiat engine on my last motorhome, it always felt sluggish, working hard and had no torque. Hills and gradiants were always a torture and down to second on some long climbs. Half the pleasure should be in the driving experience and I just could not live with it in the end. I was fed up with taking it back, and all the dealer guessing that went with it, so I went over to Peugeot and have had no regrets. It seems that the most bits that go wrong on Peugeot's are the things shared and supplied by Fiat for the electricals etc. Fiat need to start getting their act together including among other things the comfortmatic gearboxes which can also be a nightmare to live if you get a wrong un especially if second hand and out of warranty.

It looks like your 130 bhp engine was either ill-matched to your previous MH, or simply a duff engine and your dealer was a chump. My 150 Multijet2 Fiat isn't really run in yet, but it romps up long inclines in 5th or more usually 6th without a lot of throttle. There's one local steep hill that the Duxette's Honda needs 3rd gear to climb, for which the torquey Fiat happily stays in 5th.

I would accept that Fiat's Comfortmatic box is not ideal, and needs more driver input than just putting a torque converter automatic into Drive and letting it decide, which I would prefer; but it is the least worst option if you really want or need an automatic MH without spending a lot more. Iveco now seems to be the top auto but few MH conversions are based on the Iveco.

Peugeot/Citroen are the MH chassis supplier that needs to raise their game and offer customers a superior autobox option matched to those new engines. Fiat needs the competition.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
It will be interesting how the new Ford Transit automatic gearboxes perform ?

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Well so much for the engine having to come out to do the EGR pipe recall on a A class dropped mine off a 8AM and they phoned to say it was ready a 11AM.
Our 150 BHP Comfortmatic model also romps up hills courtesy of the variable vane turbo that the 150 BHP models have that you will not get in the 130BHP even if you have it chipped.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Well so much for the engine having to come out to do the EGR pipe recall on a A class dropped mine off a 8AM and they phoned to say it was ready a 11AM.
Our 150 BHP Comfortmatic model also romps up hills courtesy of the variable vane turbo that the 150 BHP models have that you will not get in the 130BHP even if you have it chipped.
Booked in for next Tuesday so will wait for It , rather than going home. 150 bhp and Comfortmatic combination on a Rapido A class, so should be a similar time scale I hope.
Fully concur with your thoughts on the 150 engine.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
ok,update. surprise, ours was bolted on whichever way was the bad way, so pipe changed, but no bracket???? so they need to order a bracket to finish the job:(.............monday the 13th........:mad: i knew it would be just so.............:cry:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Well picked ours up last night, I know the egr pipe was changed, and they did some sort of software update, the acceleration is much improved, the comfortmatic changes gear much better, and coming down the motorway, at 70+ it was reporting a average of 42mpg :) the little liar, don't know who tested the new software, but there seems to be a bug in there somewhere with regards to the fuel consumption algorithm, as stationary in traffic it kept going up reached 54 mpg at one point LOL thought I was in instantaneous mode but no it was on average?:LOL:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Well picked ours up last night, I know the egr pipe was changed, and they did some sort of software update, the acceleration is much improved, the comfortmatic changes gear much better, and coming down the motorway, at 70+ it was reporting a average of 42mpg :) the little liar, don't know who tested the new software, but there seems to be a bug in there somewhere with regards to the fuel consumption algorithm, as stationary in traffic it kept going up reached 54 mpg at one point LOL thought I was in instantaneous mode but no it was on average?:LOL:

LOL at those MPG readouts! If true, your MH is a keeper.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....

I didnt know that fiat had sold out to vw ?

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We'll
We pick ours up tomorrow morning
Pipe and bracket changed
Don't know till then if anything else done
Fair play thus far to platts in mon am finished by Wed pm.......

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Ours goes into Platts in Longton, Stoke on Trent tomorrow, I’ve got my fingers crossed because they made my new 2008 Tribute with juddergate worse after they had fitted the extra parts.

John.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It seems getting the EGR parts is taking a bit longer so my PVC's appointment has been put back a week. :mad:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Mine has been at camper uk for 8 days now waiting for an Egr valve not expecting to get it back until next week .

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
well, we have collected ours this morning, all good and done, new pipe, bracket and some nuts and bolts!
quick turnaround as we dropped in monday and was ready late yesterday, but too late for me to collect, so overall very pleased with such a quick and efficient job, hats off to platts in stafford, i hope everyone else gets sorted efficiently as well.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Rang Speke today and they have to order the part(s) expected delivery a week, so they are going to phone me when it arrives to book it in then.

Interestingly, I mentioned the bracket and he said it depends on the gearbox housing - only the bigger ones needing it. He said he had ordered all the fitments though as it was only £6 more.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
apparently its the chassis /engine / gearbox, depending on which variation you have, dictates the part(s) needed, platts got the bracket needed from another dealer, so all was well there, otherwise would have been potentially next week before it would have arrived and been fitted, i may even have the part numbers on the paperwork if that helps anyone?

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ours is still at camper uk bits have only just arrived going to be next week now.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
apparently its the chassis /engine / gearbox, depending on which variation you have, dictates the part(s) needed, platts got the bracket needed from another dealer, so all was well there, otherwise would have been potentially next week before it would have arrived and been fitted, i may even have the part numbers on the paperwork if that helps anyone?
@skylinersi

I took ours in Platts this morning 8-30am and they phoned me at 11 am that the job was done, when I picked the van up they didn’t give me any paperwork.

John.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
@skylinersi

I took ours in Platts this morning 8-30am and they phoned me at 11 am that the job was done, when I picked the van up they didn’t give me any paperwork.

John.

i asked for something to show it had been done should we sell the van and the question is asked, i will have the bit o paper on saturday so will see what it says exactly, its not a receipt more a job sheet copy?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
It will be interesting how the new Ford Transit automatic gearboxes perform ?
If it performs well- you won’t be able to keep up when it gets nicked ! :censored:

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
We went to Cartagena and we were very lucky we didn't need a new pipe, just as well as they didn't have one in stock and we would have had to go back next week

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back