European Vets that have issued EU Pet Passports to Brits since Brexit (5 Viewers)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
These are the locations you can search for so far....

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 13.50.27.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That's really strange as everything I've read says that the three and one year vacciations are the same,only thing different is the label on the bottle 🤔 Maybe Aireworth can clarify this?
Is the label on the bottle different even? Or is it just that some vets write one year validity for the first injection (or in the case of most Spanish vets for boosters as well)? None of the vaccine labels in my dog's Pet Passport give any indication of lasting 3 years. That is down to the expiry date written by the vet.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We enquired about a PP in La Herradura - the Vet said new rules meant the dog owner had to produce their NIE, then the Vet had to apply to the Town Hall for approval before they could supply a PP. Costs 25€ for regn at the town hall & 25€ for the Vet for the PP. Takes 7-10 days. They are happy to transfer over rabies details.
Surely those 'new rules' only apply to resident dogs? Why on earth do they want a non-resident dog registered at the Town Hall? What use will that be to anybody? :RollEyes:

Not having a go at you, BTW, just the pointlessness of applying these 'new rules' to non-residents. :Smile:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We've spoken to a few people on our travels who, when enquiring about a Spanish PP said they'd been asked to produce their NIE 🤷

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We've spoken to a few people on our travels who, when enquiring about a Spanish PP said they'd been asked to produce their NIE 🤷
Presumably because any guidance issued is aimed at resident dogs, which is understandable, but then it gets applied to all dogs regardless of logic or even common sense. :RollEyes:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, when I click on 39 on the list, it takes me to pin 37?
They are different vets.
Both pins (37 and 39) are on the same place - if you read the notes it says the addresses are not accurate - you need to do your own internet search to find the correct address of the vet. It is a quick guide to show where vets are located by town

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The note on the map says...

This map just shows the name of a vet and the city - no guarantee on being 100% correct or that they will still issue a pet passport but hopefully it provides some geographical idea of where you might find an obliging vet

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Just got new pet passport at Pets World Zenia. €51 including consultation and 3 year vaccine. We just turned up but you should make an appointment. Used a friends local address.
We obtained a pet passport at Pets World, La Zenia (close to AP-7, junction 763) a few days ago. It was a very helpful vet with excellent English. Cost for the passport and rabies vaccination was €56, which is very little increase since xsparks' visit in 2022. Passport is valid for three years.

The only stipulation was that we should remain in Spain for three weeks or more from the date on the pet passport, which we intended doing anyway. Perhaps that is a requirement of the rabies vaccination? (See edit below).

Worth mentioning that there is free parking for motorhomes in a very large car park just across the road from Pets World. Entrance coordinates: 37.9279614, -0.7355412

Edit: This advice taken from UK government website: "You must wait 21 days to travel after your pet is vaccinated. Day 1 is the day after the rabies vaccination. You do not need to wait to travel after a booster vaccination if there has been no break in the vaccine cover." So the Spanish vet's stipulation was only correct if the dog's rabies vaccination cover had expired (ours hadn't).

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Am I correct in thinking if you have a EU passport for a dog you cannot have the repeat rabies jab carried out by a UK vet.

Both my Jacks have Belgium passports but their original English rabies jabs runs out in September.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Am I correct in thinking if you have a EU passport for a dog you cannot have the repeat rabies jab carried out by a UK vet.

Both my Jacks have Belgium passports but their original English rabies jabs runs out in September.
We were told by the Spanish vet that repeat rabies jabs for a EU pet passport have to be done by a vet in the country where the passport was issued. I'm not sure why that isn't any EU vet, but can understand why a UK vet wouldn't be able to put anything in a EU pet passport.

Probably worth checking with your own vet.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We obtained a pet passport at Pets World, La Zenia (close to AP-7, junction 763) a few days ago. It was a very helpful vet with excellent English. Cost for the passport and rabies vaccination was €56, which is very little increase since xsparks' visit in 2022. Passport is valid for three years.

The only stipulation was that we should remain in Spain for three weeks or more from the date on the pet passport, which we intended doing anyway. Perhaps that is a requirement of the rabies vaccination? (See edit below).

Worth mentioning that there is free parking for motorhomes in a very large car park just across the road from Pets World. Entrance coordinates: 37.9279614, -0.7355412

Edit: This advice taken from UK government website: "You must wait 21 days to travel after your pet is vaccinated. Day 1 is the day after the rabies vaccination. You do not need to wait to travel after a booster vaccination if there has been no break in the vaccine cover." So the Spanish vet's stipulation was only correct if the dog's rabies vaccination cover had expired (ours hadn't).
The bit I've highlighted in red is wrong, as you've discovered in your edit. (y) A lot of vets seem to think you need to wait 21 days but not so.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We were told by the Spanish vet that repeat rabies jabs for a EU pet passport have to be done by a vet in the country where the passport was issued. I'm not sure why that isn't any EU vet, but can understand why a UK vet wouldn't be able to put anything in a EU pet passport.

Probably worth checking with your own vet.
Again the Spanish vet has got it wrong. Any EU vet can administer the rabies vaccination.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
The bit I've highlighted in red is wrong, as you've discovered in your edit. (y) A lot of vets seem to think you need to wait 21 days but not so.
After we managed to get a copy of the current Animal Health Certificate emailed to us (the original had gone AWOL) we could prove that our dog was rabies vaccinated only 10 months ago in the UK. The vet then confirmed that the 21-day stipulation would not apply.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

You can still return wit the EU pet passport to UK but they will also want to see the AHC if less than 21 days since you got he pet passport - this is what happened to us

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
After we managed to get a copy of the current Animal Health Certificate emailed to us (the original had gone AWOL) we could prove that our dog was rabies vaccinated only 10 months ago in the UK. The vet then confirmed that the 21-day stipulation would not apply.
We were still asked to show the AHC at the tunnel - there was no hassle they just wanted to know the dog had been vaccinated more than n 21 days previously rather than the couple of days since we had it done in EU to get the pet passport

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Again the Spanish vet has got it wrong. Any EU vet can administer the rabies vaccination.
Correct, we had Tazzy's vac done in Spain recently and she has a Portuguese passport, no problem at all as long as it is an EU vet that does it.

Gaspingforair

Free Member
Mar 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Hi…thanks for a fantastic resource….we are working our way through the list of vets on the map, by convenience for us (we travel to northern France and Belgium regularly). Two hard “no”s so far - both the Belgian vets on the list categorically said that I had to have a permanent address in Belgium. Will try the northern French vets next but am not hopeful…Ireland after that!

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi…thanks for a fantastic resource….we are working our way through the list of vets on the map, by convenience for us (we travel to northern France and Belgium regularly). Two hard “no”s so far - both the Belgian vets on the list categorically said that I had to have a permanent address in Belgium. Will try the northern French vets next but am not hopeful…Ireland after that!
There is a vet in Bruges who happily issues Pet Passports to Brits. See the following thread:

She (not he, as I mistakenly wrote in my opening post in that thread) is used regularly by members of the Animal Health Certificate Facebook group and is highly recommended.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
There is a vet in Bruges who happily issues Pet Passports to Brits. See the following thread:

She (not he, as I mistakenly wrote in my opening post in that thread) is used regularly by members of the Animal Health Certificate Facebook group and is highly recommended.
Lieve is indeed a very nice helpful vet,

Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Ania
Hi there, My and my husband going to travel aboard UK with two chi.I know rules after Brexit. But does anybody could tell me where In Hull I could do AHC . MY Vet do not do this. Thank You for any support .

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there, My and my husband going to travel aboard UK with two chi.I know rules after Brexit. But does anybody could tell me where In Hull I could do AHC . MY Vet do not do this. Thank You for any support .
I am sure there are plenty of vets that will take your money - its generally daylight robbery which is why you should get a pet passport whilst in `Europe.

First thing is to get their rabies vaccine and then you have a short wait before the AHC can be issued.

If you are really struggling then Winston vet hospital will do it but a bit of a trek for you from Hull. £170 each dog

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Ania, no cheap or even reasonable priced vets in Hull or anywhere near for an AHC so just get the rabies jabs done (ring around for prices as you don't have to use your own vet) then use one of the AHC vets nearest the port where you are travelling from. We've used Abbeywell at Folkestone, £99 for first dog then £30 for each additional one, all done via email and then you just collect it when you go on your travels. Easy peasy.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Ania, have your dogs been vaccinated for rabies before and, if so, are the vaccinations still valid? If they haven't been vaccinated before you will need to get that done at least 21 days before you leave this country.

When do you plan to travel and where will you be crossing the channel? It might, as Minxy said, be cheaper to get the AHC done near the port of departure (if you are not travelling from Hull port).

Mar 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
still shopping

hi friends! greetings from singapore! my dog and i are visiting the EU soon and i’m thinking an eu passport will make future travel loads easier. but may i check if the vets in belgium still offer to issue the eu pp when we get there?

i had emailed the stephan peten clinic this week, and he said he can only issue the pp if i have a resident address in belgium. (this is also what my friend who lives in belgium told me their vets say too.) just wondering if that’s just something the vets have to officially say on black and white, but showing up and asking for the pp yields our desired results. i’m willing to visit any clinic in belgium for that precious blue document! thanks for the advice. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back