Electrics (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I like how our van 12v shuts off when the ignition is turned on. I've got a memory like a sieve and would be driving round with everything on if it didn't :rolleyes:

Please explain @JeanLuc , what is inconvenient? Genuine question.
It's just the inconvenience of pulling over , leaving engine running , to find that you'd have no lights,pump etc. Especially at night.
When travelling I also like to start the engine for a couple of minutes before moving off, & that would render everything in the hab side without power.
Don't know about other solo's but I haven't ever used the loo and needed to flush it while driving... Lol.
When driving & I pull over to use the loo the engine stays running.

Yes i see that would be annoying. All our lights etc come back on again as soon as the ignition is turned off.
As above I leave engine running when I pull over to use the toilet as I'm not stopping.If I turn the engine off the dog will think it's time for a walk.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
£50k MORE ... what MH are you looking at! o_O
This one maybe.
Screenshot_20180406-051037.png

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes

So what's the UK equivalent at 50K less. As far as I am aware all the major UK manufacturers have had a go at building an A Class motorhome and everyone of them failed miserably, with the exception to RS motorhomes who are not really mainstream and cannot really judge there success given the amount of times they have gone bust.
I owned Swift Motorhomes attempt at an A Class which was the Bel Air. I bought it new back in 2001 and it was a really good van. Others had different opinions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What UK built van, at any price point, even begins to come close to the quality of that one?
The quality that used to be there sadly has been shaved away by the profits now uppermost . I was not overly impressed with the new hymers I saw at Newbury motorhome show last year. Must admit the older used ones were much better made..IMHO..

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Elddis bought Hymer so all Hymers are Now British. :sneaky:
Perhaps we'll now see some great features filtering through and the price dropping.:love: :sneaky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Elddis bought Hymer so all Hymers are Now British. :sneaky:
Perhaps we'll now see some great features filtering through and the price dropping.:love: :sneaky:

You think the quality of Hymers is going to drop to British standard then?

Just out of interest because I can’t think of a single one what are these so called “great features” on British vans that are lacking from European ones?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The quality that used to be there sadly has been shaved away by the profits now uppermost . I was not overly impressed with the new hymers I saw at Newbury motorhome show last year. Must admit the older used ones were much better made..IMHO..

Possibly, possibility not.

The quality has never been there with British vans although those manufacturers are guilty of the same thing and are making them even worse.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Possibly, possibility not.

The quality has never been there with British vans although those manufacturers are guilty of the same thing and are making them even worse.
Disagree with that My 2005 auto cruise stargazer is extremely well made. Only thing I have ever done is to change brake pads and tyres..

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Good to see you are coming round to that opinion. :D2
If I was ever tempted to buy any German motorhome it would be an older model as the newer ones are well overpriced and nowhere as near as good quality. .. But that's all hypothetical as I don't have any intention of supporting Merkels country finances. Lol. :boxing:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you say so.. But every Europe build motorhome on a fiat body is disgustingly over priced.. And believe me I have been to Many motor home shows in the last y few years.. I really cannot see what you get for £50K more....
Can't see how they are 50k more the new model of ours is about 43k we pais 38k 4 years ago (chausson). I think some UK ones are overpriced but at least they have caught up a bit on not looking like the fabrics are chosen to match the high chairs in old folks homes

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I think some UK ones are overpriced but at least they have caught up a bit on not looking like the fabrics are chosen to match the high chairs in old folks homes

I consider that comment grossly unfair & an insult to high chairs in old folks homes, which look way better than the fabric in most vans!:)

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My mate has had 3 German motorhomes and they have all leaked.
I have had an Italian motorhome =Leaked
A Slovenian motorhome = leaked
A British motorhome swift = Floor rotted
A French top of the range motorhome = Leaked
Now a German classy motorhome, I ain't holding my breath...

Some Brittish vans are really nice and decent quality, especially Autosleepers which have been around and leak free for years.

I for one would buy a brit van if they done an A Class model and put the effort in to quality rather than price.

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
nicnic @ said
If you wanted to remove this absurd and restrictive limitation on your British van so you can use it properly instead of how the NCC tell you to then it's a fairly straightforward modification (y):D2

we have a swift kon tiki that cuts out. I would love to know how to stop this happening

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
My m/home is a Hymer. I've never switched of the electrics in the 6 years I've had it. How the hell do you keep your food chilled in the fridge. I switch to 12volt whilst driving but change to 240 or gas when stopped depending on whether I have ehu or not. Correction I did switch off once when I replaced the leisure batteries last year.:)Never had a problem. Must because it's German!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My mate has had 3 German motorhomes and they have all leaked.

ALL motorhomes can leak, German, French, British et al, particularly around windows , roof lights etc.. proper annual maintenance can prevent this happening..

but when a German van leaks, it doesn't have a wooden frame fence panel made by B&Q to rot away..

British vans also leak from below due to road spray and joints between panels..

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My m/home is a Hymer. I've never switched of the electrics in the 6 years I've had it. How the hell do you keep your food chilled in the fridge. I switch to 12volt whilst driving but change to 240 or gas when stopped depending on whether I have ehu or not. Correction I did switch off once when I replaced the leisure batteries last year.:)Never had a problem. Must because it's German!
The fridge doesn't go off, that WOULD be inconvenient :eek:

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Reference all motorhomes leak. Mine must be a freak. It's German, built by Hymer and in the 6 years I've had her not a whiff of a leak. Thats why I bought European. They are streets ahead in how to build a motorhome. The British makers are slowly catching up with the Europeans but I still wouldn't buy British. My friend bought an English motorhome on a Ford chassis. Rear plastic bumper falling off, Habitation door flew open on a motorway(apparently a known problem, several water leaks in the plumbing system and fifth gear failure. Couldn't find a replacement any where in Europe. Other than replacing an Alternator I've had no problems. Yes mine is now 20 years old but did my homework and bought wisely I think. Have been offered very near what I paid for it so am a happy bunny(still not selling):giggler:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
A
Reference all motorhomes leak. Mine must be a freak. It's German, built by Hymer and in the 6 years I've had her not a whiff of a leak. Thats why I bought European. They are streets ahead in how to build a motorhome. The British makers are slowly catching up with the Europeans but I still wouldn't buy British. My friend bought an English motorhome on a Ford chassis. Rear plastic bumper falling off, Habitation door flew open on a motorway(apparently a known problem, several water leaks in the plumbing system and fifth gear failure. Couldn't find a replacement any where in Europe. Other than replacing an Alternator I've had no problems. Yes mine is now 20 years old but did my homework and bought wisely I think. Have been offered very near what I paid for it so am a happy bunny(still not selling):giggler:
Ah! So it's you that found the good German. Lol.. Just like us British that found all the British motorhomes. :party2::clap2::reel:

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looking in the window of a certain German van awaiting handover to customer was on the table a bunch of flowers and a hamper in a nice basket. Further along awaiting handover a Brit van, again flowers but in the hamper basket a mastic gun and tube of sikaflex. Yes I’ve had leaky english vans

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Why not? You don't use anything while driving. Or do you walk about while the van is being driven? OK the bog won't flush but hardly a problem :unsure:

You're just envious because the automatic features on British vans are superior... :reel: :D2

Yeah, rock on Richard and Ann. True English patriots and well said my friends. All these toffees going on about their Hymer's. Hymer's are now one of the worst vans you could buy, for quality and build, just read the forums...lol. True they used to be quality 20 years ago with heavy quality built kit now they are lightweight and poorly built junk, living on a past good reputation. There is a photo of a new one on a forum that shows the internal fixtures pulling the outer van shell in and leaving dents on the outside, loads of dents. Keep the flag flying Richard, British is best.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Looking in the window of a certain German van awaiting handover to customer was on the table a bunch of flowers and a hamper in a nice basket. Further along awaiting handover a Brit van, again flowers but in the hamper basket a mastic gun and tube of sikaflex. Yes I’ve had leaky english vans

You would normally find that any 20 year old van had leaks ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back