Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi
Once again I'm looking for some help guys , on the handover we were told as it's a European motorhome before we start the engine we must switch off the electrics ?? (In he swift it was done automatically when you started the engine ) but if we switch off electrics the fridge will turn off gave we been misinformed can we drive with electrics on ????

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I don’t know about Adria if that’s the van you have but we have a Hymer and the Fridge is wired independently of the main switch so it runs anyway with engine and when stopped o gas or mains.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
British vans turn off the hab electrics by default....a stupid national caravan council recommendation.
Foreign vans are designed to allow the 12v to remain on with the engine running.
If it was likely to cause any damage it would be wired the British way...automatically off
Ignore what you were told
Oh, the fridge has its own 12v power supply with the engine running

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I cannot imagine how inconvenient it would be if our 12 volt system switched off when the engine was started. Thank goodness we have a German one!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I like how our van 12v shuts off when the ignition is turned on. I've got a memory like a sieve and would be driving round with everything on if it didn't :rolleyes:

Please explain @JeanLuc , what is inconvenient? Genuine question.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How are you going to flush the loo with no power on the habitation side.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another reason why I'll never buy a British van.

Why the hell would you want to isolate the hab 12V when the engine is running? I've never heard anything even remotely approaching a sensible answer to this question so if anyone has one I'm genuinely interested.

Ours stay on and are used. I can't imagine why anyone would want to isolate them.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I think what was meant was
You need to be disconnected from hook up before starting engine
There is a suggestion it can damage the control box
Some folk are known to start engine to demist things while still getting stuff pacted up
Driving off with the cable still connected will definitely cause damage :sick:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why the hell would you want to isolate the hab 12V when the engine is running?

Why not? You don't use anything while driving. Or do you walk about while the van is being driven? OK the bog won't flush but hardly a problem :unsure:

You're just envious because the automatic features on British vans are superior... :reel: :D2

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why not? You don't use anything while driving. Or do you walk about while the van is being driven? OK the bog won't flush but hardly a problem :unsure:

You're just envious because the automatic features on British vans are superior... :reel: :D2
We run with the van heating on, have been known to use the loo when mobile, leave various chargers doing their thing. I'm with @NickNic. Why on earth would you want the hab systems off at any time? Fishing rod noted :).

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We run with the van heating on, have been known to use the loo when mobile, leave various chargers doing their thing. I'm with @NickNic. Why on earth would you want the hab systems off at any time? Fishing rod noted :).
Depends on the van then really, our van is small ish so the cab heater heats the whole van, yes the charger socket goes off but I've fitted 2 more in better positions that are always on anyway. Also the inverter would come on if I wanted it. Don't need anything else. :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It was all about getting around EMC regulations

Europeans paid to do EMC testing, the English said turn it off when the engine runs no need to have EMC tested equipment

Only Country in the World to do it

When the big three started the NCC they quickly chucked that bit it to save them money

They could drop it easily now but have staunchly argued pathetically for it for years that won’t happen

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Automatic? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you wanted to remove this absurd and restrictive limitation on your British van so you can use it properly instead of how the NCC tell you to then it's a fairly straightforward modification (y):D2

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ask them why it is OK for the fridge to work but not the lights and watch the salesmen (and women) flounder like the flattest flat fish, at a Folkestone Flat Fish Filleting Festival

All originally to save a few pennies

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had foreign vans for a while then in 2012 changed to a UK built camper with the 'auto-off' electrics ... it absolutely drove us potty!!!! We coped with it for 3 years but one thing that we found particularly annoying was when we stopped and went to the loo en route ... no flush, no water as it didn't come back on unless we turned in on at the control panel. It was also a nuisance if we were driving at night - when we parked and went in the back it was a game of 'see which dog we fall over this time' in our effort to get to the control panel to turn it on to get the lights working. Hated it ... absolutely HATED IT!!!!

Thank fully our current van doesn't do this and neither does our new one, both being Globecars.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We had foreign vans for a while then in 2012 changed to a UK built camper with the 'auto-off' electrics ... it absolutely drove us potty!!!! We coped with it for 3 years but one thing that we found particularly annoying was when we stopped and went to the loo en route ... no flush, no water as it didn't come back on unless we turned in on at the control panel. It was also a nuisance if we were driving at night - when we parked and went in the back it was a game of 'see which dog we fall over this time' in our effort to get to the control panel to turn it on to get the lights working. Hated it ... absolutely HATED IT!!!!

Thank fully our current van doesn't do this and neither does our new one, both being Globecars.
Never had that problem with my autocruise.. Must be unique to the van you had.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On a British van the hab electrics must be isolated when moving because of all the water leaks, don’t want the van shorting out.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Yes i see that would be annoying. All our lights etc come back on again as soon as the ignition is turned off.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Simple solution is located the relay and bypass it... If you can find the bleeding relay.

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
On the odd occasion we get lumbered with the grand children they always sit in the back with heating and lights on and phones plugged in doing whatever kids do on phones. Thank God l don't have a British van as they would then have to talk to me.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
On the odd occasion we get lumbered with the grand children they always sit in the back with heating and lights on and phones plugged in doing whatever kids do on phones. Thank God l don't have a British van as they would then have to talk to me.
But there again of you're paying almost twice as much for something foreign you expect it to be wonderful don't you.. Well at least that's what I am led to believe ... I will only ever buy British.. Unless the foreign overpriced vans compare...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But there again of you're paying almost twice as much for something foreign you expect it to be wonderful don't you.. Well at least that's what I am led to believe ... I will only ever buy British.. Unless the foreign overpriced vans compare...
... I think you've got the prices wrong, they are cheaper abroad than in the UK! :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
... I think you've got the prices wrong, they are cheaper abroad than in the UK! :)
If you say so.. But every Europe build motorhome on a fiat body is disgustingly over priced.. And believe me I have been to Many motor home shows in the last y few years.. I really cannot see what you get for £50K more....

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
If you say so.. But every Europe build motorhome on a fiat body is disgustingly over priced.. And believe me I have been to Many motor home shows in the last y few years.. I really cannot see what you get for £50K more....

BEIGE - I went to the NEC in October in 2015 & 20016 and all I could see was horrible beige interiors, regardless of the country of origin !!!

To be fair in 2017 there were a few that weren't Beige - but a lot were.

If you haven't guessed, I hate beige interiors....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
£50k MORE ... what MH are you looking at! o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back