Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
That would be cruel shooting the dog:p
I fly a drone for my photograph hobby, shooting my registered drone down would end them up in court for more than one misdemea
Sounds like the addition of an air rifle could be a useful bit of kit. :giggle:
i fly a registered drone as an add on to my photography hobby, anyone shooting it down would end up reported to the authorities and could end up in court.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I should perhaps start by saying I do not condone any form of violence no matter the circumstances. We were parked on the old Aire at Calais at around 2am we were abruptly woken by a large explosion. I jumped out of bed and got dressed so quickly, I really thought someones van had exploded. I could see the bursts of flames through the curtains. On opening the door I was amazed to see a middle aged man letting off fireworks...what!!!. I was shocked but also relieved it was not as first expected, but this then changed to anger. Many people were now out of their vans looking at what was going on. A few people started shouting, then a man in the van across from the firework man stepped out his van, calmly walked across to the firework man punched him in the face knocking him out, he then without saying a word walked slowly back to his van stepped in and closed the door.
We of course went across to check he was okay as the Police arrived. As the Police pulled in all the motorhome doors closed, the man regained consciousness was put into the back of the Police car and they drove off.

You don't get that drama at the new Calais Aire

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Read the below for a better understanding of the laws:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Have been camping for over 60 years all i can say is they are breeding have met a few over the years but nothing like the numbers there are now
It’s nothing to do with Camping or Caravaning or Motorhoming, it is simply a decline in standards of behaviour of society in general. You can see it everywhere, on television, in public life, i think it’s much fuelled by the general lack of self respect which extends to lack of respect for others. Standards are far lower than when I was a kid in the 60’s, I was taught manners were important and must be upheld. Now I think there are many who don’t know what good manners and consideration for others are or are just thick as well

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
See above Graeme
Thanks Emmit. Just goes to show very blinkered views from people. Especially from the invading my privacy brigade. I bet not one of the people shown in my video minded being shown to be having a great time.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I used to get a clip around the ear from me dad if i put my elbows on the table whilst eating, nowadays they don't sit at a table for dinner, it's on the sofa in front of the telly.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Just remember that all drones with cameras, have to be registered with the CAA. Even under 250 g. It is also a good idea to take a test, which can be done on line.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fly a drone for my photograph hobby, shooting my registered drone down would end them up in court for more than one misdemea

i fly a registered drone as an add on to my photography hobby, anyone shooting it down would end up reported to the authorities and could end up in court.
Oh dear someone who doesn't understand the etiquette of Fun posts, if you look closer you would have seen the smileys.
Anyway it would be you in court for flying over people, I take it you didn't read the original post.

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
Totally agree with a lot of what has been said regarding the increasing , thankfull, minority that have a blatant disregard for other folks quiet enjoyment of camping.
It does seem ,though, a general unfounded dislike of drones. There are a lot of us that enjoy the challenge of using a drone whilst not endangering or annoying our neighbours. As various contributors have mentioned in the open category you must be 50m from uninvolved people. However if you consult CAA Article 16 drone rules takeoff and landing can reduce to only 15m. So maybe the guy was flying legally.
There’s still the issue of not being annoying and respecting others though.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Don’t people get annoyed over just about everything, just drive behind a MH or caravan which you can’t get passed. But that’s ok if you are driving one. Come on, why not be more tolerant of other peoples hobbies, not use the excuse of privacy from 50metres away, when you are photographed every day you walk down the street. Most people I know with a drone use them according to the law.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
If you wanted to find out what the problem is with your roof and contacted a roofer, who turned up with a drone to have a close look at your roof. Would you then shoot it down because he is now invading your privacy.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you wanted to find out what the problem is with your roof and contacted a roofer, who turned up with a drone to have a close look at your roof. Would you then shoot it down because he is now invading your privacy.
No that’s commercial work which you have invited to your home, he is just using the Drone as a tool. He would still have to abide by the rules so if someone else other than you are closer than 50m then he shouldn’t fly.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
No that’s commercial work which you have invited to your home, he is just using the Drone as a tool. He would still have to abide by the rules so if someone else other than you are closer than 50m then he shouldn’t fly.
No, as I've stated before, if he is flying a drone that weighs less than 250grams he can legally fly with no minimum 50M restrictions - the drone guy that trained me recently uses a mini2 for roof and gutter inspection for precisely that reason

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
Drones escaped a total ban. Early days of toy shop drones, I was organising a kite flying event and discovered I had to apply to the Civil Aviation Authority for a special licence in order to fly kites. I did so, quite seeing the logic of objects in the sky V planes. I had to inform the local emergency services and give details and times. In due course I was authorised to hold the event which was mainly for supervised children. Two days later a drone appeared in my garden hovering carefully and thoroughly looking around.it then flew up into air space, so high I could barely see a dot. I was furious. My neighbour knew the owner and showed me film posted of the fall out from a road accident. I called the Civil Aviation Authority and asked for guidance about reporting this to the police. A big sigh. 'We have NO control. They should never have been allowed as a toy'. Personally I'd ban them and make our lives safe again.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
God their are some boring people about and I tell you what.

I have a registered drone and yes I have a drone pilots licence as well via the CAA and I take it with me everywhere and yes I fly it on all my Motorhome trips.

If anyone wants to come up to me and pass a comment please do so but I can assure you your tail will soon be dragging between your legs, why because its the only bloody thing I do on my trips for video and pictures of our holidays.

Now laws.

Keep your drone in direct line of sight
Don't fly higher than 120m above ground
Avoid flying closer than 50m to people, buildings and cars
Don't fly closer than 150m to buildings and crowds of people
All drones with a camera need an Operator ID, regardless of weight

Most respectable drone owners follow the above to the letter some don’t.

Please if you fly a drone get a Operators ID.

I flew mine on my last trip plus someone else had their drone up as well not one single complaint only questions about the drone and how good the quality of the video was.

The best bit of content to read about drones and their laws etc can be found here: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/uk-drone-laws-where-can-and-cant-you-fly-your-drone

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I could also fly a drone to inspect a neighbours roof, if asked, forget 50metres, I would be on his property by invitation which would be legal.
Camper Sue, what would be your reason to ban them, I hope it is not because of a rogue flier over your garden, if you knew who he was, you could have reported him to the CAA. That is if he is legally registered, unfortunately not all are.
Because someone breaks the law driving a car, by your analogy, you should ban cars then.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No, as I've stated before, if he is flying a drone that weighs less than 250grams he can legally fly with no minimum 50M restrictions - the drone guy that trained me recently uses a mini2 for roof and gutter inspection for precisely that reason
Agreed and I stand corrected👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back