Drones on site (2 Viewers)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yesterday evening one of our VW Camper brethren decide to fly his Drone ( not a small one ) from his camper and proceeded to fly it over the camp site. Take off and landing was within 15 ft of 2 other units with people sat outside them and whilst he was having fun buzzing the site his pet Alsatian dog decide to wonder off past my van off site into the road. I whistled it back and it eventually heeded me without getting killed.
The owner was pissed off that I disturbed his flying by calling him to collect his dog.
Bearing in mind that the new rules are that a Drone cannot be flown within 50m of any person and a 150m of any person on recreational land and the fact that he didn’t have his dog under any form of control, is this more evidence of a new breed of campervan owner who doesn’t give a f@ck. ?🤨

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Sound like a right

television show GIF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yesterday evening one of our VW Camper brethren decide to fly his Drone ( not a small one ) from his camper and proceeded to fly it over the camp site. Take off and landing was within 15 ft of 2 other units with people sat outside them and whilst he was having fun buzzing the site his pet Alsatian dog decide to wonder off past my van off site into the road. I whistled it back and it eventually heeded me without getting killed.
The owner was pissed off that I disturbed his flying by calling him to collect his dog.
Bearing in mind that the new rules are that a Drone cannot be flown within 50m of any person and a 150m of any person on recreational land and the fact that he didn’t have his dog under any form of control, is this more evidence of a new breed of campervan owner who doesn’t give a f@ck. ?🤨
They have always been amongst us. Just their toys have changed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... and how pissed off was he when he was told he couldn't use his new toy anymore at the site?

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Surely its evidence of just one person who doesnt give a f*@k .. Hardly fair to call it a new breed of owners

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Did he then get his e-scooters out as well !!

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Think camping sites owners and wardens could help guide our new community members a little better. These forums too could play their part. I recall being new once and made couple of errors but was politely advised (nothing major)

perhaps the better approach is to teach people rather than rant on a forum.

I’ve had zero problem very politely reminding or guiding someone things like .. ho guys… we have to keep our dogs on leads on camp except the designated areas. Hi guys… you’re not allowed to launch drones this close to units but there a brilliant place just down there that’s safe and wouldn’t upset anyone.

rarely have I had anything but polite sorry and no problem. Sometimes people don’t realise and when guided they adjust

except
1 time… Hi guys…. I know kids can be kids but it’s 10 pm plus and the screaming this late at the park section is a little bit much every night would you mind finding quieter fun for the kids later into the evening.

Very upper middle class parents reply was …we want them to run around to wear themselves out?! More like drink malbec and disregard everyone else

on this occasion I tried the polite and speak to parents approach and after blatant disregard I asked the warden to support and he did he came around at 10 pm and sent children back to their parents. Worked but very disappointing

mots not a new breed as rude people exist no matter the situation in my view

on the whole majority new people to our community are great and very welcome in my view.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
About ten years ago we were at filey brigg, it was an unusually sunny blue sky beautifull day, about lunchtime we settled outside on deck chairs, aah this is the life, cool drink good book, peace and quiet, as it moved into the afternoon, the guy next door who had been drinkin a few cans that were scattered around his caravan, was getting louder and louder, next thing a very large remote control car was flying around the site up and down making a right racket, it nearly knocked a couple who were walking their westi dog over, i actually filmed it on my phone he was an absolute uncaring,selfish ,loud moron,then another guy who was walking back to his van nearly got run over by the big car , he picked it up took it to the guy and told him to put it away or he would smash it up! (He was the type you wouldnt argue with)
it was wonderfull 😀 peace reigned until further into the night when there was a very loud “domestic” fall out next door………they left very early the next morning …………who needs a telly ? Lol

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I do not pester anyone and l don’t let anyone pester me, l particularly dislike anyone taking videos that might contain my image and Drones with cameras again containing my image or that of my Motorhome, l simply like to mind my own business.Too many folk now believe they can go about doing anything they like with no consideration for others.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we were out walking yesterday a couple of guys passed us wearing hi vis vests with film crew on the back.
Further up the path they were flying a drone over the river. Though nothing of it but when we stopped to open a gate I looked back and one of them was climbing over the fence to the river. There was no sign of the drone so I presume it was in the river.
I didn’t know about flying them in public places so flying it over a public footpath should the same rules.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yet again the majority being judged by the behaviour of a minority
Maybe true but the evidence of so many VW Campers being bought by people who have not camped before has balloooned since Covid and the dealers are not known for advising people how to behave.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Think camping sites owners and wardens could help guide our new community members a little better. These forums too could play their part. I recall being new once and made couple of errors but was politely advised (nothing major)

perhaps the better approach is to teach people rather than rant on a forum.
Shouldn't be necessary - dogs under control & tethered is frequently mentioned on booking pages
Drones - if registered, again the rules are quite clear.

If someone makes a mistake, like a dog escaping it's lead, or crashing your drone - fair enough.
But in a shared space etc etc, it's reasonable to expect others to be aware of the basic rules

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
We stayed at a site end of last year,
1st night perfect.
2nd day 4 Caravans turned up being pulled by pick ups...positioned in bunch.

Loads of smoke from trying to light god knows how many BBQs...music up along with crates of beer being unloaded..

Next thing 6 electric quad bikes for the kids., Tearing up the grass ,in and out of the other campers..

Security came over and told them
NO WAY!

Few beers later out comes the quads again.

Security back over for another warning..

Getting dark now so out comes the quads again..

Security back over for another telling off but too many beers have been consumed now and instead of sorry it was do you want a fight with all of us.!.

He told them no but he'll happily call the police to throw them off..

They left in the morning leaving rubbish and churned up grass..

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Shouldn't be necessary - dogs under control & tethered is frequently mentioned on booking pages
Drones - if registered, again the rules are quite clear.

If someone makes a mistake, like a dog escaping it's lead, or crashing your drone - fair enough.
But in a shared space etc etc, it's reasonable to expect others to be aware of the basic rules
Idealistically yes shouldn’t be necessary but often find talking to people resolves things and of course being tolerant too helps. I think many push boundaries and only when someone has a word their reign in ie music or kids. I’m sure lots don’t read literature as they enter sites. I’m a rule reader and my sister simply wouldn’t read stuff. Not that she’d behave in a way to upset others in her little VW… my point is… wardens when you book in could guide people to rules a little more

scenario … frazzled parents arrive with 3 excited kids and a dog… crack on with set up.. feeding the darlings and getting them to bed…. Many moms and dads not even grabbing a moment to read a leaflet… as they’re prioritising other stuff

Life’s not the same for everyone…. It’s how I view the world and people I guess

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
Yes I do use a drone .Shooting at a drone is classed the same as shooting at a aircraft. Flying over any land is legal apart from restricted zones. The caa own the air space not the land owner lots of people think a drone can take their image ,if low down yes but at 40 meters I doubt you could identify a person these are a 1000 pound drone not 10 million pound spy drone. As for not controlling their dog that’s a different issue https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Our-role/Updates-about-drones/

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Yes I do use a drone .Shooting at a drone is classed the same as shooting at a aircraft. Flying over any land is legal apart from restricted zones. The caa own the air space not the land owner lots of people think a drone can take their image ,if low down yes but at 40 meters I doubt you could identify a person these are a 1000 pound drone not 10 million pound spy drone. As for not controlling their dog that’s a different issue https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Our-role/Updates-about-drones/

you are not allowed to fly within 50m of anyone unconnected to you. Where you can’t see in gardens you should not overfly in case that puts you in breach of the 50metre limit. Your 40 metre quote is therefore in breach of the rules whether the camera is any good or not!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back