LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like the addition of an air rifle could be a useful bit of kit. :giggle:
A toilet roll thrown over them so it unravels and the paper is drawn down into the props works very well from a video I've seen. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I know someone who had one flying over and around his house at roof height with a camera underneath when they were in the garden with their young children and it had been plaguing the neighbours as well. It was so intrusive he had time to reach a decision to do something about it. He went and got his shotgun out of a locked cabinet indoors and blasted it out of the sky. He now knows that was not legal but he lives in a rural community with a field backing onto his garden so the shot was safe. There were no consequences and no complaints about his actions! Hopefully the drone owner who was unseen throughout learnt from this!

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I bought a VW last year and I'm new to the 'scene'. I find it a little unfair and offensive to be tarring us all with the same brush. I'm always respectful of the site rules and my fellow neighbours. I regularly see other VW's on site and usually go over for a chat. I can't say that I've found anyone behave out of line. To be fair, I've seen motorhomers and caravaners flouting the site rules more than VW owners, by playing music louder than is respectful to the neighbours, not using the wristband system at the toilets, drinking till late in their awning, etc.

It's fair enough to call someone out for flying a drone and not caring for his dog properly (I applaud you for getting the dog), but with all due respect, don't pick on the VW owners. The ones I've met don't cause issues (from what I've seen anyway).

Arron.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought a VW last year and I'm new to the 'scene'. I find it a little unfair and offensive to be tarring us all with the same brush. I'm always respectful of the site rules and my fellow neighbours. I regularly see other VW's on site and usually go over for a chat. I can't say that I've found anyone behave out of line. To be fair, I've seen motorhomers and caravaners flouting the site rules more than VW owners, by playing music louder than is respectful to the neighbours, not using the wristband system at the toilets, drinking till late in their awning, etc.

It's fair enough to call someone out for flying a drone and not caring for his dog properly (I applaud you for getting the dog), but with all due respect, don't pick on the VW owners. The ones I've met don't cause issues (from what I've seen anyway).

Arron.
You appear to have a chip on your shoulder I don't see a ything wrong with the OP.

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
You appear to have a chip on your shoulder I don't see a ything wrong with the OP.
Hi Lenny HB

No chip on my shoulder my friend. It was the stereotyping of new VW owners (of which I am one). I even applauded him for getting the dog.

Perhaps I read the post incorrectly and jumped to a wrong conclusion from the OP. If that is the case, then I'll gracefully apologise.

Arron.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
What happens whe the toilet roll hits the drone then the drone hits a a child very irresponsible
And flying a drone within 50m of people in direct contravention of the law isn’t ?

Two wrongs don’t make a right but inconsiderate drone flying is becoming an issue on safety and privacy grounds.

I know it spoils some folks hobby and cramps their style, but there is an issue that needs addressing.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Yes I do use a drone .Shooting at a drone is classed the same as shooting at a aircraft. Flying over any land is legal apart from restricted zones. The caa own the air space not the land owner lots of people think a drone can take their image ,if low down yes but at 40 meters I doubt you could identify a person these are a 1000 pound drone not 10 million pound spy drone. As for not controlling their dog that’s a different issue https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Our-role/Updates-about-drones/
If someone flies a drone over my garden they must accept the consequences

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A toilet roll thrown over them so it unravels and the paper is drawn down into the props works very well from a video I've seen. :)
You just couldn't resist bringing washroom accoutrements into this thread could you! :LOL:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like the addition of an air rifle could be a useful bit of kit. :giggle:
My lads did this once to some of those bloody chinese flaming lanterns lots of people were using before they were banned.
There must have ben 20 of em set off from some idiots garden across the fieled from us.We were having a garden party and one of m y lads decide to get his air rifle and shoot at one. BIG MISTAKE...it fell into a neighbours garden with the draught 3 doors down who were also having a BBQ, who promptly started stamping on it to stop his flowers catching a light.

Funny when we told him and now we look back, but in hindsight dangerous and not advised.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If someone flies a drone over my garden they must accept the consequences
If that happened over our garden I'd be teaching the dogs how to trampoline so they could play 'fetch'!😁

Last edited:

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Yesterday evening one of our VW Camper brethren decide to fly his Drone ( not a small one ) from his camper and proceeded to fly it over the camp site. Take off and landing was within 15 ft of 2 other units with people sat outside them and whilst he was having fun buzzing the site his pet Alsatian dog decide to wonder off past my van off site into the road. I whistled it back and it eventually heeded me without getting killed.
The owner was pissed off that I disturbed his flying by calling him to collect his dog.
Bearing in mind that the new rules are that a Drone cannot be flown within 50m of any person and a 150m of any person on recreational land and the fact that he didn’t have his dog under any form of control, is this more evidence of a new breed of campervan owner who doesn’t give a f@ck. ?🤨
Well done for calling him out. It would have been easier to stand by. let’s hope he’s not a new anything but an exception rather than the norm.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
post was much bigger so the 50M rule does apply, but as wissa states, not if under 250g
Ok but there’s the “do not endanger”clause and “do not fly over crowds”. For. under 250g…

it’s not just about the rules , it is about doing the right thing.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Ok but there’s the do not endanger clause and do not fly over crowds. For. under 250g…

it’s not just about the rules , it is about doing the right thing.
Yes, I know, it's about being responsible and respective, but twice you pointed out the 50M rule to wissa when they were stating it didn't apply to under 250g drones, and it's shown in the document that you linked to.

I fly a dji mini 2, it's under 250g, so legally I can fly almost anywhere, the rules state that it cannot be flown over a group of uninvolved people, but does not quantify how many people make a group, but I trend to fly mine away from people anyway and along the coast

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Beat me to it Bobby gg I don’t want to video people just nice views of coast line and countryside why would you want to video people you don’t even know use the drone code simple
Exactly, like this one, I took off and flew no where near anyone, grabbed the image I wanted and landed.

And, how many people can I see? How many windows am I able to look through?
Drones have tiny little cameras, not some massive paparazzi style zoom lens that can see you trimming your nose hair in your bathroom mirror, though your skylight from 50M away.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Exactly, like this one, I took off and flew no where near anyone, grabbed the image I wanted and landed.

And, how many people can I see? How many windows am I able to look through?
Drones have tiny little cameras, not some massive paparazzi style zoom lens that can see you trimming your nose hair in your bathroom mirror, though your skylight from 50M away.

superb. As you say nowhere near anyone which wasn’t the case with the OP. I also e pact you have one of those amazing new drones that doesn’t have that annoying droning noise

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi Lenny HB

No chip on my shoulder my friend. It was the stereotyping of new VW owners (of which I am one). I even applauded him for getting the dog.

Perhaps I read the post incorrectly and jumped to a wrong conclusion from the OP. If that is the case, then I'll gracefully apologise.

Arron.
In my original post I was asking the question at the end of my post not actually suggesting that all VW owners were 👿

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back