Don't reverse on to levelers (2 Viewers)

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
You have nothing to gain from reversing onto ramps on the front end - absolutely nothing.

If on grass, reversing on will give momentum to get you going - but that only works if you position the vehicle in a manner that you an drive straight off and away, going back to collect your ramps. By reversing on the front - you just add another obstacle, as you have to stop and remove to allow passage of your rear wheels - and if the ramps have sunk, you will hit your undercarriage/sills.

To gain, you reverse up lifting the rear - allowing momentum to take you away from any soft ground.

If your front needs lifting, just drive on forwards. You ramp has 3 or 4 'steps' so count them as you go up, and have someone watching to check if the ramp has moved/slipped a step one side. If alone - pop a peg or two in front of the step to stop it slipping forwards/if on hard ground (ie concrete, smooth tarmac), a peice of old carpet or similar underneath them will help the ramps grip.

Another little rule of thumb - Wet grass has the same traction properties as snow - so treat it as such, and you will find life a bit easier!:thumb:
All great advice to me as a newbie, ta

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Don't think it is on modern Fiat,Citroen and Peugeot..BUSBY.
Hi. One of the factors that where discussed during the Fiat "Juddergate" period was the alleged fact that the Ducato gearbox uses the first gear as (part of) the Reverse cluster. Thus the alleged high gearing of the First gear was also the Reverse and made "slipping" the clutch in reverse in some slow speed situations almost mandatory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
OR you could invest in a set of air/hydraulic self levelling jacks Only £5000 ( and duck behind parapet!)

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I carry a small freestanding mirror which I put on the ground so I can see the levellers, never had a problem yet, touch wood :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back