Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
i am always surprised when i read of people that wont use ramps to level off a bit when needed. fact is, if youre out of level the fridge wont work properly. its not like a fridge at home

Sorry to reveal the pedant that lies within me but whilst what you say is true for absorption fridges, motorhome compressor fridges ARE like the one you have at home and do not need the van to be absolutely level to work perfectly well.

That is probably why most rufty tufty, off site, fulltimers that I know have compressor fridges and don't have levellers.

JJ :Cool:

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I tend to take the opposite view - I always want the levellers at the front if possible, otherwise the steadies won't reach the ground without extra packing (block of wood or similar) underneath them.

Also, in the unlikely event of handbrake failure, I'd rather not have the ramps contributing to the speed at which the MH rolls downhill. By driving downhill and forwards onto them, "downhill" is between the ramps and the natural slope, so it shouldn't go anywhere.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
Whilst away on continent (Just avoiding Switzerland Brian) I noticed several people reversing on to their levellers. I also seemed to remember a thread about the benefits of reversing on to levellers, though can't remember what the benefits were?

But having given it some thought I considered there may be an advantage if the ground were a little wet coming off the leveller forwards would give better momentum and perhaps reduce the possibilities of being stuck on wet slidy grass or in the mud.
So I reversed onto the levellers................................

The mh went back perfectly over shot the leveller firing it forward and upwards under the front bumper and as the mh lost height it fell on the leveller jamming it and causing it to act as a lever to prise the front bumper from the side fairing.
With the leveller now suitabley jammed into the soft grass and under the bumper we had to drive on to the other leveller to gain height in order to remove the previous leveller.

Lesson learned = Don't reverse on to levellers:cry::cry:

There is a plus side to this. John who was in the mh next to mine knew a guy at Falkirk who could repair the bumper for me! Paid the said man a visit and he says no problem at all. He will manage the repair and repaint the bumper for me, when we get back from Lincoln; a job I was wanting done anyway. So my unfortunate incident will turn out OK (This time):thumb::thumb:

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just had to give it a funny.

Reverse is a lower gear so less clutch:Smile: required buttttt can have its draw backs:cry:
Afraid you are wrong 1st is the lowest gear, On nearly all modern vehicles reverse is higher than 1st.

If you value your clutch on a Ducato, never, ever reverse onto leveling ramps.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Have to echo @JJ. Ramps not permitted most places including French aires, something for sites only.
You have to be a long way off level before it effects the fridge main problem I find is the kitchen sink won't drain if nose down.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Plain and simple - operator error :rofl: :reel:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also, in the unlikely event of handbrake failure, I'd rather not have the ramps contributing to the speed at which the MH rolls downhill. By driving downhill and forwards onto them, "downhill" is between the ramps and the natural slope, so it shouldn't go anywhere.
That's what 1st or reverse gears for.
NEVER rely on a handbrake alone, put it in gear as well. Handbrake cables can and do break.
Applies to all gradients, uphill or downhill, not just levellers.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
i am always surprised when i read of people that wont use ramps to level off a bit when needed. fact is, if youre out of level the fridge wont work properly. its not like a fridge at home

You have to actually be quite a long way out of level to affect the working of the fridge. Before the advent of AC Power as opposed to the then D-C sets then in use in Merchant ships MOST refrigerators in the accommodation where "Absorption" type, and where good for a fair bit of inclination before they stopped working. When they did, it usually involved turning a very large unit in all 4 positions to encourage the gasses to return to the absorber.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We have a pair of the large Milenco Ramps and I frequently reverse onto them, I have on occasion used the old Fiama yellow ones on the back side of the Milencos if we need to get near the top and risk going over the top. With an Auto box it is not quite as easy to creep up as using a manual box.

Yes it is, right foot on the accelerator, left foot on the brake.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If I cant find a level spot I find one that's near enough.....love to see the MHs behaving like tuggers

Park up, sleep, move on....(y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Oh boy, I've just spent a fortune at Specsavers, better go and ask for my money back.:cry:
Funny you should mention that. Last week I got my first pair of bifocals. First time I went for a pee I looked down and saw a big one and a little one. Well I knew the big one wasn't mine so I put it away. :mad:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Doh i didnt notice sorry
No sorry necessary - I posted my reply mainly to be able to include a 'flag' for your enquiry like this: @normanandsue to bring it to their attention. (They get a notification of the mention if they are still Funsters). Hope you get it sorted.

Deleted User
If I cant find a level spot I find one that's near enough.....love to see the MHs behaving like tuggers

Park up, sleep, move on....(y)

I need my very narrow bed to be slightly inclined to the wall side so that i do not roll out, do not get a good sleep otherwise.......fussy or what:)

Of course this means that my good lady wife's bed is slightly inclined the other way........fortunately she does not roll out and thus we are both happy:)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I have always worked on basis of driving into the ramp so we’re anything to fail (brakes) you would hold your position not throw you downhill.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If the front end is low, placing the ramp behind the wheel makes the slope steeper. In front of the wheel makes it less steep. So always drive forwards onto them.

If the back end is low, placing the ramp in front of the wheel makes the slope steeper. Behind the wheel makes it less steep. So always reverse onto them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd love to know why people pay to park on unlevel spots ...

All my parking spots are free ....and mostly level.

My fridge works great, I dint fall out of bed , my sink and my shower drains perfectly.

I think I've used one ramp on maybe 3 occasions now

Ahhhh freedom.

Reactions: GPW

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back