Dog smell. (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not dogs, but we bought a vn which, once we put the heting on stank of stle cigarette smoke. Don't know how the dealer disguised it when we viewed, i have a very good sense of smell usually.
Took a little time but removed all cutains and removable fabrics and put them in the washing machine, van had been steam clened before we got it, had it done again, put neutrodol, the stuff in pots round the van and, as suggested somewhere on the 'net, a couple of dishes with coffe grounds (fresh) worked really well.
Very occassionally we would get a whiff when we put the diesel heating on but it didn't last.
I have asthma and realy struggle with the smell of stale smoke. went on to have many pong free years in the van. Sometimes wish I had asked the dealer how they managed to hide/mask/disguise the smell.
Not sure that would work with dogs. Having said that I had dogs and cats for a time. Home was pet free apart form 1 cat for the last couple of years was pet odour free when I sold it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We’ve had 2 small dogs-different ones-in our van and are now dogless, we know our van doesn’t smell of dog in spite of still finding dog hair in odd corners, when we come back into the van after being out there is no smell.
We knew a couple with two long haired dogs who were-when we knew them-trying to sell their house. We went into the house one day and the smell was indescribable! Dog, very very smelly dog! No wonder no-one wanted to buy it!
I thought you recently took on a new little dog after Gina?

OP
OP
britvic
Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
Hang on, you are buying this from a dealer? And not expecting it to be cleaned and valeted as part of the deal? Really?
As I’ve explained you see them as is, then when you buy they are valeted on collection, which in my opinion is a good idea as I don’t want to look at a vehicle that’s been Fabrezed to death. My wife said she could get a faint whiff of dog, I couldn’t. So on collection I know it will be clean but she wanted to know if there was anything extra she could do to make it fresher, i wasn’t having a go at the dealer or dog owners. I didn’t say I was not expecting it to be cleaned and valeted, really..

OP
OP
britvic
Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
Thanks for all the handy hints, if they don’t work I’ll take it to the Sanity System point near us and post again.
And yes my wife has a nose like a Beagle 😕

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I would not buy a Motorhome that had ,had dogs in
Trouble is with that, is that, unless buying new, you've already bought the van by the time you find out that either the seller lied or the dealer was mislead.

And if the vehicle had been cleaned effectively, or the previous owner's dogs didn't smell [as many claim]... how would you know?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
And yes my wife has a nose like a Beagle 😕
Does she go round sniffing dog's bums then? and being part beagle, does she smell when wet or have a drive to roll in anything smelly?

Seriously doggy smell does vary vastly from no smell through to disgusting. If only a light background odour, it should be gone with a proper valet and maybe an air conditioning fogger

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Dogs don't sweat! The smell is more likely from drool. Dogs can only sweat through their feet or evaporate the heat by panting.
... bit of a contradiction there me thinks!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One wouldn't buy a van without first smelling it.......................would they?????
I bought a house without even looking at it.:unsure:
I carry that in case I get given a heap of a truck to drive, some of them are a lot worse than having dogs in there. Haha
Sounds like my ma-in-laws house.:sick: Any on here who wouldn't buy because it had dogs in it would far prefer that than the breathing apparatus needed to enter her house. It will need burning down when she dies.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I bought a house without even looking at it.:unsure:

Sounds like my ma-in-laws house.:sick: Any on here who wouldn't buy because it had dogs in it would far prefer that than the breathing apparatus needed to enter her house. It will need burning down when she dies.
Are you saying shake & vac would not cure it. Haha

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
TheBig1
Yes we gave a home to a Border Terrier X JRT.
She was a nice little dog, but wasn't good travelling in car or van-we were told she was good.
She wasn’t good at learning (5 years old) nothing seemed to stay in her head.
She could be aggressive, attacked a delivery man-attacked the box he delivered & then latched onto his trousers!
Had to keep her on lead all the time as she would attack dogs in passing without a thought to anything, it wasn’t nervousness just pure “I’ll have a go” attitude!
Couldn‘t/wouldn‘t trust her with any other dog & definitely not a child, she didn’t like men either!
We gave her 9 months and tried hard but in the end it was patently obvious she did not like being in the MoHo and none of us saw eye to eye, we were all getting stressed and that is no way to have a happy dog!
We decided we couldn’t carry on it wasn’t doing any of us any good so we found her a new home.
Decided now to stay dogless for a while until Brexit & Covid (hopefully) are sorted.
Sad tho!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
TheBig1
She was a nice little dog, but wasn't good travelling in car or van-we were told she was good.
She could be aggressive, attacked a delivery man-attacked the box he delivered & then latched onto his trousers!
Had to keep her on lead all the time as she would attack dogs in passing without a thought to anything, it wasn’t nervousness just pure “I’ll have a go” attitude!
Couldn‘t/wouldn‘t trust her with any other dog & definitely not a child, she didn’t like men either!
We gave her 9 months and tried hard but in the end it was patently obvious she did not like being in the MoHo and none of us saw eye to eye, we were all getting stressed and that is no way to have a happy dog!
We decided we couldn’t carry on it wasn’t doing any of us any good so we found her a new home.
Decided now to stay dogless for a while until Brexit & Covid (hopefully) are sorted.
Sad tho!

That dog must have been born in Salford 🤭 :rofl:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
TheBig1
Sad tho!
You did your best, obviously a troubled dog and not great with the motorhome lifestyle

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
TheBig1
Sad tho!
I've had quite a few Border Terriers to groom over the years. I would say generally they are lovely or vile, nothing in between. I once had one booked in for hand stripping named "Nipper". The clue should have been in the name! Couldn't get near it for teeth. Chap had 2 small children and said he had owned it from 8 weeks. I found out after that it had been to every groomers in a 20mile radius and nobody had been able to do it. Irresponsible owners in my view to not even mentioned that the dog bit people. I wonder how he would have felt if his child had been bitten. I actually like the breed, my daughter has one. A delightful little companion called Blue. Great with the children and everyone he meets.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
a vans not a home without a dog ....2 weeks after you get one you'll never notice a dog smell again lol

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
About 25 years ago I had to take my mother's cat to the vet for a weekly injection and despite all the precautions I took the little devil would manage to pee on the back seat of the car, right through several layers of blanket/towel/newspaper and the cat basket. The smell was awful even after cleaning with every product known to man. I finally mentioned it to the vet and was sold a bottle of something (can't remember the name) which when diluted and used as a cleaner digested all the bacteria causing the smell, which never returned. I'm sure there must be something similar on the market today, probably still only available from vets.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Sorry if this is going off thread!
I have had several dogs over the years, trained up a puppy Labrador into a gun dog but I’m afraid the BT x JRT was another ball game, she didn’t seem to be able to learn anything, she wasn’t an affectionate dog and it took a long time to get her to play tug with a toy and if you let go she was off! She bit me 3 times in the time we had her.
Butter wouldn’t melt!
328186C8-8C35-47F2-9EC8-38F5C65AF78D.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back