Dog smell. (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Never been in a dog owner’s house where I don’t get an allergic reaction. There’s always a smell aswell, although some are obviously stronger than others. Lots of products mask the smell for a little while but the dog chemicals are always there, often for months/ years

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we tried to sell my late fathers car none of the local car dealers would go near it because his springier had been living in it.
We bought one of the bomb things and had it valeted. Eventually I sold it privately with the understanding that it might be a bit doggy smelling. The buyer wanted a small automatic and was a dog owner so the dealers lost out.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Never been in a dog owner’s house where I don’t get an allergic reaction. There’s always a smell aswell, although some are obviously stronger than others. Lots of products mask the smell for a little while but the dog chemicals are always there, often for months/ years
Ditto.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Our wolfhounds were remarkably fragrant, in a good way of course and would curl up into an incredibly small space for such big dogs and seriously, would be okay in a motorhome apart from the tails which could take out all the blinds in one wag. Shamus, a brindle was the scruffiest looking bag of that you ever saw but I never noticed any odour on him at all. Connor was a golden lab colour with black tipped ears, black rings round his eyes and nose and a white chest probably the most beautifull dog I have ever seen. Disney would have made a film about him if he'd seen him. He was a son of 'Monarch' of the Mackmillan kennels the dog that Linda Leplant eventually owned. Neither of our boys smelled at all and didn't seem to moult much either. Farts were rare and seemed to astonish them both. Christ I miss those boys.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
We had two dogs in our first 2 vans for at least 6 months over summers and winters in France and Spain.. always had seats and our own twin single beds covered with both waterproof mattress protectors plus cheap fleeces which were changed regularly and we hoovered everyday. When we traded them in the dealers check sheets both said "no pets". We never had anyone say our van smelt of dog and my mother has a sense of smell like a bloodhound and doesn't like dogs.. it is all down to the owners I'm afraid

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Its not just dogs that owners get used to. Knew someone once who had seven cats. They dont smell she said. I had to tell her that as soon as she opened the door the stench hit you. Obviously as I have dogs I tend not to smell them. If you really want a stink, try cows indoors, much worse than pigs.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our wolfhounds were remarkably fragrant, in a good way of course and would curl up into an incredibly small space for such big dogs and seriously, would be okay in a motorhome apart from the tails which could take out all the blinds in one wag. Shamus, a brindle was the scruffiest looking bag of that you ever saw but I never noticed any odour on him at all. Connor was a golden lab colour with black tipped ears, black rings round his eyes and nose and a white chest probably the most beautifull dog I have ever seen. Disney would have made a film about him if he'd seen him. He was a son of 'Monarch' of the Mackmillan kennels the dog that Linda Leplant eventually owned. Neither of our boys smelled at all and didn't seem to moult much either. Farts were rare and seemed to astonish them both. Christ I miss those boys.
You mean you could not smell them,,bet others could.My wife never smelt of tobacco smoke when I smoked,,when I packed up to be honest she stank.Thank goodness she packed up soon afterwards. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Its not just dogs that owners get used to. Knew someone once who had seven cats. They dont smell she said. I had to tell her that as soon as she opened the door the stench hit you. Obviously as I have dogs I tend not to smell them. If you really want a stink, try cows indoors, much worse than pigs.
Never kept a pet pig or cow indoors but will take your word for it.😁😁 BUSBY.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not all dog's smell (well, farts excepted!) and our home doesn't ... the ONLY thing we have to deal with is dog hair, not a massive problem, but obviously unless you get bald dogs or those that don't shed you can't avoid it.
I do get somewhat annoyed when I find a dog hair in my soup ;) all dogs smell particularly when they are wet. I am not saying owning a dog is wrong and get why people like them.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We had two dogs in our first 2 vans for at least 6 months over summers and winters in France and Spain.. always had seats and our own twin single beds covered with both waterproof mattress protectors plus cheap fleeces which were changed regularly and we hoovered everyday. When we traded them in the dealers check sheets both said "no pets". We never had anyone say our van smelt of dog and my mother has a sense of smell like a bloodhound and doesn't like dogs.. it is all down to the owners I'm afraid
Or people not being honest,,,Humans smell but we are used to it,,our dogs and cats smell,again we the owners are used to it but a stranger who is a none pet owner will smell them ,,Every living thing gives off a smell and not always offensive..BUSBY.

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Not Irish Wolfhounds, they just don't stink, wet or not.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
I can wear a good strong perfume and not smell it myself but have people saying ‘like the smell of your perfume’
So we all don’t smell our own 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
40 years ago, Granada Ghia, under a year old, fully loaded top of the range estate. Went fishing at Dungeness with brother inlaw, could only get frozen bait for some reason. Packed up, got to car, keys locked inside, brick through quarterlight, get in drive home and park on drive (sloping). left the fishing gear in car as pissed off and needed beer. Bait thaws out and supurates into the back of the hinged back seat. Now thats what you call a stink! It pretty much wrote the car off as far as I was concearned so phoned a dealer agreed a ( crap actually) price over phone subject to him seeing it, drove there with sunroof and all windows open he took a cursory look, did the paperwork and off I went. Phew!
Wierd thing though, we tiled his whole house many years later and I am still not sure he didn't recognise me.

Give me a dog smell anyday.

So, in the same vein, gaffer pissed of his mechanic, who put in his notice. Before he left he put a large dead fish into the heater system, on the bosses new Bentley. The resultant effect was horrendous.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Can’t fault the dealer really he valets them when sold, the wife found the dog hairs after ramming her hand down the passenger seat as she reckons most are lap dogs and that’s where they sit after that she was on a mission there aren’t too many thank goodness. We mentioned it and he said it’ll get a wet clean and will be spotless so we’ll see, he’ll have her to deal with so I’ll put an update on when we get it.

A wet clean on the soft furnishings in itself should make it smell OK for a short while but will not remove all the bacteria enjoying the oils from the dog. The bacteria will simply multiply renewing the smell.
There are enzyme products that should break down the bacteria but would need to be extracted with hot water followed by cover of odour neutraliser.

Dog smell is very difficult to remove from carpets/ furnishings

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought our house didn't smell of dog when we had one or more..Later friends told be differently.Cannot see how you can stop it You just don't notice because your used to it.
Nope, no smell, we've asked people who come to be honest about it so we'd know if there was any aroma at all.

Perhaps it's because we often have the back door, patio and conservatory doors open so keep the house 'fresh' rather than all closed up with stale air. We have covers on the sofa, beds etc that get regularly washed, also have a good quality 'hot' carpet washer & dryer which we use about once a month, and DON'T keep bathing our dogs which can overstimulate them to produce more oil and cause a smell. Also not having the home too warm can help as the dogs don't get overheated which encourages oil production.

If you put in the 'effort' you can ensure you don't have doggy smells but many people just don't bother or have the view that its something you just have to accept if you have dogs which isn't the case.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Nope, no smell, we've asked people who come to be honest about it so we'd know if there was any aroma at all.

Perhaps it's because we often have the back door, patio and conservatory doors open so keep the house 'fresh' rather than all closed up with stale air. We have covers on the sofa, beds etc that get regularly washed, also have a good quality 'hot' carpet washer & dryer which we use about once a month, and DON'T keep bathing our dogs which can overstimulate them to produce more oil and cause a smell. Also not having the home too warm can help as the dogs don't get overheated which encourages oil production.

If you put in the 'effort' you can ensure you don't have doggy smells but many people just don't bother or have the view that its something you just have to accept if you have dogs which isn't the case.
I quite agree Minxy Girl.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We’ve had 2 small dogs-different ones-in our van and are now dogless, we know our van doesn’t smell of dog in spite of still finding dog hair in odd corners, when we come back into the van after being out there is no smell.
We knew a couple with two long haired dogs who were-when we knew them-trying to sell their house. We went into the house one day and the smell was indescribable! Dog, very very smelly dog! No wonder no-one wanted to buy it!

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
I like to think that neither our home nor our motorhome smell of dogs. Both are standard poodles. Both bathed regularly in good quality professional dog shampoo ( despite what some may say - this removes dirt and not oils!) and both house and motorhome cleaned regularly. Dogs of whatever coat don't smell if properly cared for. Except dogs that drool a lot and that stinks!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
We worked in a load of council flats once putting AC systems in used for heating. Anyway stepped into a flat 8am one morning and the dog stench nearly knocked my block off! I'll never forget those 2 footsteps into the green oblivion 🤢🤮. The owner (I presume) couldn't smell it at all. Kept saying "these are great dogs these" flipping bath them then! 🙄
Bit rough...then....

Jul 14, 2018
UK
Funster No
MH
1993 Swift Kon-Tiki
Exp
Ten years plus
Amazon product ASIN B006T1MBNI
This is what the trade uses for interior smells and it works. Dead easy to use.

My wife bought a car and the previous owner was a smoker, it stank. This sorted it out.

Terry
How do you get the link to work?
press on it nothing happens

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Thanks I’ll ask the dealer.
I would not buy a Motorhome that had ,had dogs in, you can do what you like , in the hot weather I'm advised that any smell lurking will come back , If you still want to go ahead renew all soft furnishings including the foam in the furnishings and renew the bed mattress as for some reason people let their dogs on their beds, and as suggested do a deep clean. If you get advice from a Vet, we did when we had a family pet dog they will tell you dogs carry all manner of germs ( OK I know humans do too). this is just my opinion and experience and not to upset Dog Owners on here .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We’re about to change our Motorhome for a Camper, we have seen a van we like but it’s obviously had a dog as there are hairs on the passenger seat, round the window frames plus a faint pong. Has anyone on here any suggestions for getting rid of both problems apart from having the seating replaced, we’ve googled the usual baking soda remedy but if anyone has a dog and their van honestly doesn’t smell could you share your secrets for both the hairs and whiff?
My wife swore she would never buy a vehicle that had housed a dog or smokers but we love the van! Please don’t slate we’re not dog haters 😕.
You may want to find a company that uses a Sanity system

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
All living things smell,,,some good some bad...We had a collie cross that always smelled of clover and quite pleasant,,also had a fox terrier that rolled in anything that was rotting or animal dung,terrible stink...Good or bad you can smell them,,BUSBY.

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
We have used a product called Rug Doctor Odour remover on rugs in our house, but I don;t see why it wouldn't work on car seats. It removed the most vile and awful stink I have ever smelt from our hall rug. It works by having enzymes in it and you do need to thoroughly dampen the surface and keep it damp for 24 hours for it to work but it does completely remove the nastiest smell. So there are products out there that can do it. We have dogs, the entire van is built around the crates they travel and sleep in. So if we ever sold it, it would be to other dog people. Ours do sit on furniture, on their own waterproof, washable throws. But some dogs smell more than others, just like people.... ;)

Wiener-dogs201

Free Member
Nov 12, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Has anyone stated the obvious yet and suggested you embrace dogs and get a few so that you do not notice any smell? I have 4 naughty Dachshunds you could borrow, they are so cute and loving you would forget any smells.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back