Dog smell. (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
We’re about to change our Motorhome for a Camper, we have seen a van we like but it’s obviously had a dog as there are hairs on the passenger seat, round the window frames plus a faint pong. Has anyone on here any suggestions for getting rid of both problems apart from having the seating replaced, we’ve googled the usual baking soda remedy but if anyone has a dog and their van honestly doesn’t smell could you share your secrets for both the hairs and whiff?
My wife swore she would never buy a vehicle that had housed a dog or smokers but we love the van! Please don’t slate we’re not dog haters 😕.

Last edited:
OP
OP
britvic
Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
I would consider asking a valeter to deep clean the vehicle. You would probably be left with soft furnishings like cushions and curtains to dry clean, but together I'd expect the outcome to be as fresh as a daisy.
Thanks I’ll ask the dealer.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Yep find a different van, love dogs but can’t stand smell I hate seeing photos of Dogs all over seats with no covers on. Dogs n motor homes are hand in glove unfortunately.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The trouble is dog owners don't notice the smell themselves. That aside to offer the van for sale with dog hairs all over it makes you wonder what state the rest of the van is in all the areas you don't notice on a first inspection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That aside to offer the van for sale with dog hairs all over it makes you wonder what state the rest of the van is in all the areas you don't notice on a first inspection.

When we were looking we saw a van with the layout we wanted etc etc but the dealer hadn't fixed even the most minor defect and wasn't interested when we pointed out odds and ends. The van was 2 years old and he appeared to think broken trim and quite a lot of dents / dings (plus a dirty hob) was fair wear and tear. We moved on (rapidly).

OP
OP
britvic
Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
Can’t fault the dealer really he valets them when sold, the wife found the dog hairs after ramming her hand down the passenger seat as she reckons most are lap dogs and that’s where they sit after that she was on a mission there aren’t too many thank goodness. We mentioned it and he said it’ll get a wet clean and will be spotless so we’ll see, he’ll have her to deal with so I’ll put an update on when we get it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We’re about to change our Motorhome for a Camper, we have seen a van we like but it’s obviously had a dog as there are hairs on the passenger seat, round the window frames plus a faint pong. Has anyone on here any suggestions for getting rid of both problems apart from having the seating replaced, we’ve googled the usual baking soda remedy but if anyone has a dog and their van honestly doesn’t smell could you share your secrets for both the hairs and whiff?
My wife swore she would never buy a vehicle that had housed a dog or smokers but we love the van! Please don’t slate we’re not dog haters 😕.
Some time ago I was offered a luxury car through the trade at a silly cheap price.. Dealer told me it stank of wet dog
I bought it thinking a pro valet will soon sort it out
Nope.. I even bought a complete interior ( seats, mats, door cards and dash ) and it still smelt of dog !
I used it as a work horse for about a year and it did fade a bit, but ended up selling it on to an old couple who had several dogs and no sense of smell !!!
Be very very wary ..........................

Oh, and as most folk will attest, I am a real dog lover !

OP
OP
britvic
Sep 22, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
since 1985
Some time ago I was offered a luxury car through the trade at a silly cheap price.. Dealer told me it stank of wet dog
I bought it thinking a pro valet will soon sort it out
Nope.. I even bought a complete interior ( seats, mats, door cards and dash ) and it still smelt of dog !
I used it as a work horse for about a year and it did fade a bit, but ended up selling it on to an old couple who had several dogs and no sense of smell !!!
Be very very wary ..........................

Oh, and as most folk will attest, I am a real dog lover !
Oh it’s not that bad, if it was I wouldn’t of got her through the door!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Dog is not allowed on the bed, the seats all have removable covers and we've taken the carpets up. As far as we can tell there is no "doggy" smell in our van - we do ask visiting friends if they can smell anything doggy but always say no - unless of course they're being very polite.............................!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dog is not allowed on the bed, the seats all have removable covers and we've taken the carpets up. As far as we can tell there is no "doggy" smell in our van - we do ask visiting friends if they can smell anything doggy but always say no - unless of course they're being very polite.............................!
Snap !!

Deleted User
We have a small dog it doesn’t get on the seats or beds and our van doesn’t smell. We did buy a small Bedford Rascal van once which smelt of dogs and after 4 years it still smelt.

spongy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back