Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Ok, now you're here.

We have a Kon-Tiki 679. Tandem axle, 8.5m 4.5-5T, 3.0l comfortmatic.

Love it to bits except when trying to book a site (also not far away from the wall beyond which you have to re-apply). Has a garage for either bikes or Honda PCX and vast amounts of wine & Beer. Decent payload (could even put scoot on tow bar carrier) Alas is a tad thirsty but heh aren't we all.

Most times we decide where we'd like to go and then ring around the sites to actually book as many list a size limit somewhat less than 8.5 and some booking systems are..... shall we limit comment to NOT user friendly.

Should add at this point I'm not sure how these sites respond to a tent the size of a small stately home (much larger than pitch size we require!

Should also add its not the most carpark friendly vehicle. due to turning circle, length and the average twit that parks so close you can't get in the door. we often end up in the likes of a supermarket carpark taking up 4 bays.

Anyway (bear with me)

Do we persevere in comfort, space and payload or down size?

Any Thoughts or recommendations.

Please note any form of PVC with a sliding door is a no no. Cant see how you keep it warm in winter if you need to open the door. Should add at this point we have a spaniel that needs the odd trip out.

Anybody else had thought about this or

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.
I only have a two berth. I'd say that it's about what's important too you. Manoeuvrability allowing you to access more places versus living in complete comfort in a mobile palace.

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
No Its not really a problem, just a thought, happy to stick BUT like many things if you don't look, explore, ask, discuss, argue, reason, etc, etc. what's the point??

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We keep saying that we will go smaller than the 8.5 that we are now but something has to give and we are not ready for that compromise while we don't actually need to.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Funnily enough...we fancy going big and tag axled! We would like to have a bit more space and freedom around each other when we need to have a rant and rave at each other ! Only joking lol...Really would like a Burstner I821 Elegance though!!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
My previous Bessie was 8.67m and we never had any problems getting on UK or French sites.

If your only concern for ruling out a panel van, is the wide side door letting all the heat out, then just do as I do in really cold weather and don’t open the door fully. I can get me and the dog in or out through a gap that is very similar to my previous motorhome door widths, without the interior turning arctic and any heat loss is quickly replaced in the smaller interior.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
First I asked the wife, reply was can’t remember.

But we have a Delfin t821 at 8.2 m never had a problem with length on sites. Supermarkets usually try to get end space can then get away with using 2 spaces and you have access to at least one door. We know tow a small car so puts us at 11m plus so supermarkets with toad attached are out. Would we downsize I don’t think so. I will be 72 in August so have 1 year before I have to renew licence, I had to have an exercise ECG to retain C1 on licence last time on treadmill and I struggled. Not sure I could do it again as left knee not so good.
Steve

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
PVC S will also loose more heat when you open that big sliding side door ! Never had a problem with my tag, especially with the Alde heating keeping toasty warm in almost silence! Not forgetting all the extra wine you can carry!!

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Its not just down to length. There's lots more to consider. For instance do you need a decent bathroom with a separate shower compartment? If so, rule out a PVC.

We hired a PVC in the US a few years ago for a month, and even there it was really useful being smaller for manoeuvrability to get into some of the National Park campgrounds and parking spots. Making up the bed was a pain each night, and I'll never get used to all the dips and bumps when putting all the seat cushions into one mattress. Also there was very, very limited storage space, even for us, and we generally travel very light.

When we came to get our own motorhome we settled on a C class. We wanted a full kitchen, a decent bathroom with a good shower cubicle, and a good lounge area where we could stretch out and read or watch TV (or not!). OH is unable to climb into an over-cab bed so that was ruled out. Then add on a fixed bed and we ended up with a large motorhome... until...

...until we came across the idea of the electric bed that rises into the roof, and it solved all our layout problems. Fixed bed, large lounge area, large garage (you'd get the Honda in it), all in a tad under 7m long. Bags of storage space inside. Add on a 2l 170BHP Ford chassis with auto gearbox that does 30mpg and is a pleasure to drive. The OH now actively wants to drive it! The only problem is there isn't a huge payload, but then as I have said we don't take a lot of junk, and we don't want to go down the C1 route.

As always, its down to compromises. List all the things which are essential, and those which are desirable and have a good look at all the various layout options.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have 9m Elysian with a slide out and wouldn’t swap because love the space.

When booking sites I might often say 8.5m as somehow 9m often seems to be the limit. But when you arrive the extra 15 inches really isn’t a problem.

I also have a page on my site that lists National Trust sites with parking for larger motorhomes having had a couple of unfortunate experiences

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If like me, ;) you have a small wife and a small dog, you don't need to fully open the door. :LOL:

It's me that let's the heat out. :LOL:
But they do warm up quick. (y) Bob.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
95674B08-7A56-4F49-B44F-B3A6B377F386.jpeg

This is the smallest camper we have had for years, we deliberately ordered it at it is a 27B making it under 9m. Although with the bike rack on we are just over 9m I too, when phoning say it’s about 8.5m

The turning circle is great and we can do a three point turn pretty much anywhere(y)

I’d agree, stick with what you’ve got

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well if you are considering changing 8.5 tag to pvc is a big jump

I just downsized from an 8.5m tag to a 7 metre ...best thing I did
Plenty space, plenty payload and no probs parking it.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue on sites either but personally don't use them.

I also get 25% better fuel economy than I did with the tag

Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We have the 669 version of yours, we wouldn't change to anything smaller as we wouldn't want to give anything up. There is only the two of us but we are not adult enough to share a smaller space without falling out with each other...

To be fair, we have never been turned away from anywhere we have wanted to go, but we do ring and talk to the site if they say max of 8m and explain that we are quite happy to be on a 8m max pitch. Had some tight pitches to get on but nothing impossible so we will be staying at 8.5m for the foreseeable.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The queue for Keswick CCC was long and staff were walking down the line getting paperwork sorted so that folk would get pitched quickly. “The bloke in front of you says he is 8.5m but he is obviously longer. We will pull him out of the line and sort him out. Just drive past.”

Honestly is the best policy.

Gordon

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you were touring with an RV that I had
IMG_0590.JPG

where site access is quite limited then I would be closer to seeing your problem , but I looked at it that you spend far more time driving and parked than you do getting onto pitch and they are the parts that contribute most to the overall experience , for some they balance things differently , I would suggest that you evaluate and consider the pros and cons very carefully before you make a change that might ruin the whole experience , far more than the odd niggle on a meter of difference that you might be considering :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back