Does Cruise Control give better or worst MPG (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2009
Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Since 2007
Just wondering your thoughts on MPG when using or not using cruise control? My MH does not have it, but my car does and I think I can better mpg when not using cruise control.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Probably depends a lot on your driving style, if your inclined to accelerate / lift off / accelerate / lift off as some people tend to do then cruise control would increase mpg. If you have a steady right foot then maybe not much in it.
Presume it`s the same in a moho, but I don`t have it either

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I suggest if you concentrate very hard with your right foot and slow down ascending hills, and then let the vehicle's momentum increase speed down hills, it could be possible to save a small amount of fuel compared to using the cruise.

There are also occasions where you can anticipate the road ahead, and let the speed drop naturally, without applying the brakes, and then accelerate gently after slowing down, when conditions are right.

Having said that, I still much prefer to use the cruise control in almost all viable circumstances.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use cruise control whenever safe to do so, but simply could not be arsed about the 0.2 mpg I might or might not be saving and use it as a convenience device. After all, the thing has the aerodynamics of a housebrick

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Generally increases fuel consumption, on inclines it floors the throttle where as if you were in control you are more lightly to increase it gradually but on the the flat maintains a constant so might improve it slightly.
Does it really matter if it makes driving easier if I only get 23 mpg instead of 24 its not going to worry me.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I use cruise control in France and Spain, rarely in the UK -traffic too busy -

If I see a long hill ahead I increase speed downhill even with cruise on - helps getting up the other side..

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Use it regularly in the car, even in 30 and 40 limits.
i much prefer on an auto, and independent test show as it keeps constant speed better than we do, it is marginally more economical.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Use it regularly in the car, even in 30 and 40 limits.
i much prefer on an auto, and independent test show as it keeps constant speed better than we do, it is marginally more economical.
On the Sprinter, the cruise is combined with a speed limiter which I use a lot through roadworks etc

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I do use Cruise Control on the van when able to, not sure if it saves or uses more fuel, however if I see a long incline coming ahead, I tend to get some steam up beforehand either tweaking the stick up a little, or just disengage the CC to save gear changes, which would use more fuel, hard to say.
It does not maintain a steady speed downhill though,it will increase over distance, so its as sophisticated putting a cloths peg on the throttle cable.:giggle:
However, I keep myself occupied on trying my best to keep the averaged mileage meter at 27.2MPG or better (y), although I know this probably exaggerated a little, as we normally get 25MPG fill to fill, but it gives something to do on a long run.:giggle:

Its nowhere near as good as the one we have on the BMW, as that is used to keep us at a steady 20/30 or 40MPH in town, and it brakes the car to maintain a constant speed on the downhill parts, which seems to pee off drivers behind sometimes that despite being downhill I stick exactly to the speed limit :giggle: There are so many of those "safety camera police around here.

I, to this day dont know if the rear break lights come on in the car when it breaks on CC for downhill bits, I guess they should, but dont actually know.:unsure:
Need to get someone to drive behind me to see what happens.
LES

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I am sure about motorhomes but the cruise control on our Saab made a slight improvement on mpg. I found it relaxing to drive not having to keep adjusting the speed on hills.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
With the cruise on I just press the accelerator slightly when approaching the bottom of a hill and there's an incline ahead, it smooths things out 😎👍

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I do use cruise control but speed limiter much more. Not noticed any difference in mpg so probably not much.

Bigbass

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV 60 Chatsw
Exp
5 years but tent camper previously
Since we got the ElddisCV60 ,145 bhp, we have been using the cruise control on the run up to Scotland from Cheshire. M6 and various Scottish trunk roads but only on the “safer” sections. Set at about 60 mph we get 37 mpg over the 300 mile trip and on a quiet Sunday got 39. Hope that helps.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
On the Sprinter, the cruise is combined with a speed limiter which I use a lot through roadworks etc
I don’t use speed limiter because of you need to Accelerate, you have to remember to floor the throttle to kick down

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I had it retro fitted and wouldn't ever go back. Use it all the time and save a lot of foot and knee aches on long journeys.

Haven't noticed any difference in mpg.

As for the hills, I never let the engine labour and if it's a steep long one, will change down on the way up and do it manuall, then simply hit the resume button again.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don’t use speed limiter because of you need to Accelerate, you have to remember to floor the throttle to kick down
One push knocks it off though. I only use it to stop straying over camera controlled speed limits. My last two company cars were also Mercs and used the same techniques then as well

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Being an ex trucker I always use it, especially when I'm in lower speed limits or roadworks where your more likely to have cameras. 🤔
I couldn't tell you if they save fuel, we just buy it when we need it. 🙂

In the trucks if you went from 6 to 8 it was a vast difference. :Eeek:
But in a car or motorhome it is not worth stressing about, it's a bit like driving out your way to buy fuel that's 2p a litre cheaper. 🤔 :rofl: Bob.

OP
OP
Tiny
Jan 12, 2009
Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Since 2007
Some great comments, overall there seems to be very little difference in mpg, but a much more enjoyable relaxed drive. I would like to get it fitted to the MH but not sure a retro fit would be affordable. Maybe have to trade up to a newer model.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As for the hills, I never let the engine labour and if it's a steep long one, will change down on the way up and do it manuall, then simply hit the resume button again.
With mine in top gear if it drops to 80km/hr it drops the cruise out leaving you to change down manually. In France I tend to spend long periods in cruise in 4th gear.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Fiat cruise control is OK on the light chassis but rubbish on the maxi chassis.
It is only a basic cruise control that only works on the throttle.

I've had 2 Motorhomes on the light chassis one manual one with Comfomatic it worked fine on both of them.

Currently have a 4500kg Motorhome on the maxi, with Comfomatic box. The cruise control is pants. Just about OK on the flat but on a downward incline the van gathers far too much speed and on upward inclines it slows down far too much. It really is bad & it's not just me I know other owners who say exactly the same about it.

Never bother using the speed limiter when I first tried it I got caught out too many times. You are going gently through a village, come out the other side put you foot down on the slip road to pick up speed to get on the dual carriageway - brain goes into panic mode as engine doesn't respond at all you are thinking sh*t what the hells gone wrong now. Then you remember the speed limiter is on.

All so the limiter only works on the throttle so a bit of a downward incline the van picks up speed and you get deafened by 3 loud beeps as its gone over the limit by 1mph.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Some great comments, overall there seems to be very little difference in mpg, but a much more enjoyable relaxed drive. I would like to get it fitted to the MH but not sure a retro fit would be affordable. Maybe have to trade up to a newer model.
Retrofit is cheap £200-£300. Even cheaper if you do it yourself I fitted one to my last car.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but not sure a retro fit would be affordable. Maybe have to trade up to a newer model.
I'm sure people have stated that they paid around £400 at Dave Newell's to have it fitted. Sure Paul Badknee had it done

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Use cc all the time. I dont find it makes much difference to fuel consumption, but it highlights how poor most drivers are at maintaining a constant speed, even on an open and clear road - infuriating!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back