LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Netflix, IPlayer and Amazon expire after about 1 month so downloading has limited benefit - ask me how I know :(
Although they are supposed to expire after 30 days I've found a lot of Prime downloads are still there after 3 months.

One thing I did get caught out on with both Prime & Netflix is that you need to be connected to the internet to log on before you can play downloads but if you stay connected it streams rather than playing the download. Prime have fixed this now not checked with Netflix lately. I always play safe and disconnect after logging on.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I'm a guest user of my daughters account in Thailand.

Tut tut you two...think Netflix talked about cracking down on people sharing accounts....

Registered user and 4 guest (family) users on one contract...that's the package we subscribe too...Tut.Tut for Tut Tutting me...😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
JFF, I blame Netflix with their wish washy wording: -
Profiles allow different members of your household to have their own personalized Netflix experience.
Household? Do they just hope we take that to mean under the same roof? The nativity of it - lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Household? Do they just hope we take that to mean under the same roof? The nativity of it - lol
You can have 4 profiles but you are allowed to connect 4 different devices simultaneously.
We have our own profile on daughters account, our other daughter uses it as well. Overall we connect with more than 4 devices but not a problem due to the 7 hour time difference, they are in bed when we are watching it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I just got a Smarty sim only deal for £15 a month unlimited data with no contract. Its actually a three company but only gives you 4g. No throttling and can be used as hotspot. Can be used in the EU. 5g may be coming soon.
Still limited to 20 GB roaming.
Don’t know if they still do it but 3 used to have Netflix as no data usage
They appear to have stopped that, I think it's an offer they do at times not constantly.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Registered user and 4 guest (family) users on one contract...that's the package we subscribe too...Tut.Tut for Tut Tutting me...😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
Only teasing I'm on friends plex account and we get all sorts of hokey tv on there. Although i didn't think Netflix did accounts with guest access thought it was meant for different members of the same household but i know a lot do share logins and have heard netflix are looking to stop that happening.

Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
Not noticed that, we find far more to watch on Prime than Netflix.
Is it just in Portugal it has happened?
It has also happened in Spain. Reduced content when watching Prime on iPad since 1st January and connecting using free WiFI. The work around to get full content has been to tether to mobile phone with uk sim.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp

They appear to have stopped that, I think it's an offer they do at times not constantly.
Thanks Lenny - just got the sim yesterday. It didn't say it was limited on the abridged terms and conditions but clicking on the full pdf on-line its there in black and white. Should have known that it would be limited in the EU. Still for £15 its good value for MHing in the UK.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent

So is there anyone Lenny HB who provides 60GB plus with no roaming limitations ? My Vodafone coming up for renewal but their unlimited now has 25GB roaming limit...also if you are overseas for more time than in UK they charge £3 per GB after 2 months ☹️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So is there anyone Lenny HB who provides 60GB plus with no roaming limitations ? My Vodafone coming up for renewal but their unlimited now has 25GB roaming limit...also if you are overseas for more time than in UK they charge £3 per GB after 2 months ☹️
Vodafone contracts up to 100gb you can use the full allowance, also doing a 110gb SIM at the moment.
They have updated their T&C If you spend more than 62 days roaming in a 4 month period any data you use over what you have used at home in the same period will be charged.

Superdrug do a SIM on the Three network one Funster reported it worked unlimited.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I've used about 45 GB over this last eight days viewing Netflix, Sky Go or the BBC I player for about 4 hours a day and a bit of surfing as well, not much else to do whilst locked down.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Vodafone contracts up to 100gb you can use the full allowance, also doing a 110gb SIM at the moment.
They have updated their T&C If you spend more than 62 days roaming in a 4 month period any data you use over what you have used at home in the same period will be charged.

Superdrug do a SIM on the Three network one Funster reported it worked unlimited.
Yes exactly...that won’t work with me as obviously when I am back in UK I hardly use any Sim data as I’m on WiFi...whereas when I am in Europe I use about 60GB. Looks like I may have to resurrect my Satelite dish ☹️. It’s the old version and I seem to remember a year or so ago that it doesn’t find the Astra whatever it is and you have to go into manual mode and fiddle around....can’t remember how 🙄

might even go back to Sat Nav instead of Google maps on my iPad. Pity as I like the big screen on iPad instead of titchy Sat Nav device.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I may have to resurrect my Satelite dish ☹️. It’s the old version and I seem to remember a year or so ago that it doesn’t find the Astra whatever it is and you have to go into manual mode and fiddle around....can’t remember how 🙄
We inherited an Oyster One system which still works a treat using two LNBs.
LNB A is aligned for Astra 1, and LNB B is offset and aligned for Astra 2. Once the dish locks on to Astra1, I just press button B, and just like magic, UK programmes appear on the screen. 👍
I think it was a simple install by Jackson Leisure.
Whilst it works, we'll continue to use it, but should we lose the needy signals from Astra 1, making the system redundant, we won't go to the expense of replacing or updating it. 😕

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Yes exactly...that won’t work with me as obviously when I am back in UK I hardly use any Sim data as I’m on WiFi...whereas when I am in Europe I use about 60GB. Looks like I may have to resurrect my Satelite dish ☹️. It’s the old version and I seem to remember a year or so ago that it doesn’t find the Astra whatever it is and you have to go into manual mode and fiddle around....can’t remember how 🙄

might even go back to Sat Nav instead of Google maps on my iPad. Pity as I like the big screen on iPad instead of titchy Sat Nav device.
Why not buy a local SIM?
Also Google maps can be downloaded for use with no data

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year

You could always turn off your WiFi when you are in the UK to ensure you use your data allowance & if necessary turn on the WiFi hotspot on your phone so you can use it with your TV, laptop etc.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You could always turn off your WiFi when you are in the UK to ensure you use your data allowance & if necessary turn on the WiFi hotspot on your phone so you can use it with your TV, laptop etc.
But it would be minor hassle just because of their t and C's. Seems a bit unfair to me effectively your being penalised for not getting your moneys worth in the UK.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
We inherited an Oyster One system which still works a treat using two LNBs.
LNB A is aligned for Astra 1, and LNB B is offset and aligned for Astra 2. Once the dish locks on to Astra1, I just press button B, and just like magic, UK programmes appear on the screen. 👍
I think it was a simple install by Jackson Leisure.
Whilst it works, we'll continue to use it, but should we lose the needy signals from Astra 1, making the system redundant, we won't go to the expense of replacing or updating it. 😕

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂
Ah not sure if I have two LNB’s (or even what they are 😥) . How do you get it to lock onto Astra 1. I attached it to my Avtex TV and switched it all on but it didn’t seem to lock on to any Satellite ☹️

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Why not buy a local SIM?
Also Google maps can be downloaded for use with no data
Well because I tend to watch BBC and a local SIM won’t work. Yes I may do the Google map download. I tend to set up the journey and then flip the signal thingy off. Then if I go wrong and rerouting needs to take place flip the signal thingy back on again trying not to take my eyes off the road to avoid running over a Frenchman.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back