Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Hi
I'm in the process of upgrading my mobile phone package, and want to make sure I have sufficient data when traveling abroad. Is there anyone that could give me a good idea of of the data usage for watching 1 hours of TV (netflix) via an amazon firestick. What I normally do is purchase a PAYG sim and stick it in my 3/4G Huawei mifi device. However on times when the data expires, I simply swop the sim from my mobile into the Huawei mifi device. The problem I have is my current mobile contract has 6Gb data limit, which doesn't seem to last that long.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Derry

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Serious question to which I don't know the answer is will you be able to stream Netflix in EU now? ( After B......)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Serious question to which I don't know the answer is will you be able to stream Netflix in EU now? ( After B......)
From <Broken link removed>online article, Netflix users will be better off than users relying on Amazon & Sky :(

Deleted User
Can't comment on netflix etc but BBC iplayer on low definition consumes around 800Mb per hour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
1 hour of Netflix via a Firestick uses about 1 gb on low definition.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If your SIM is activated in the UK then I've never had any problem with Netflix, IPlayer, Amazon Video etc.. anywhere in Europe. All seem to use about 1Gb/hr in low definition.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Do you have a UK subscription or ES?
Actually no...I am a guest user of a friend in Cardiff....all other stuff is based here in Spain...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would look for a 30 day rolling contract so that you can up to a lot of data when going away but not be permanently tied to it. I'm with I'd mobile they do quite a few 30 day plans.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Thanks very very much to all responders. Now, I'm going to show my total ignorance when it comes to things techy. A couple of people @matamorose and @dunnaah01 have mentioned "low definition" how would I swap from HD to Low Def, most stuff we watch is via an Avtex TV and not on lap top of tablet.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Thanks very very much to all responders. Now, I'm going to show my total ignorance when it comes to things techy. A couple of people @matamorose and @dunnaah01 have mentioned "low definition" how would I swap from HD to Low Def, most stuff we watch is via an Avtex TV and not on lap top of tablet.

I can't remember how I did it on iplayer but will have a look in settings later.
When downloading programmes on iplayer there is a choice on screen before beginning the download

Deleted User
In iplayer go to settings/settings & help/video quality/ choose best quality or standard definition.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are going to be streaming all your TV you will need at least 20gb a week.
You can save a lot of data with Netflix & Prime by downloading the programs in a lower resolution, Netflix only gives you one option but Prime gives you 4 or 5.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
whereabouts is 'abroad' ? - it would be cheaper in the long run to get a portable sat dish to set up whenever you are parked up, rather then pay for data for television - however it all depends on where you are 'abroad'

the cheapest option (other than not watching anything) would be to download lots of 'stuff' and save to a hard drive or grab a load of cheap DVD's from car boot sales etc and look to swap 1:1 whenever you meet up with others ...

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
whereabouts is 'abroad' ? - it would be cheaper in the long run to get a portable sat dish to set up whenever you are parked up, rather then pay for data for television - however it all depends on where you are 'abroad'

the cheapest option (other than not watching anything) would be to download lots of 'stuff' and save to a hard drive or grab a load of cheap DVD's from car boot sales etc and look to swap 1:1 whenever you meet up with others ...
Netflix, IPlayer and Amazon expire after about 1 month so downloading has limited benefit - ask me how I know :(

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If you are going to be streaming all your TV you will need at least 20gb a week.
You can save a lot of data with Netflix & Prime by downloading the programs in a lower resolution, Netflix only gives you one option but Prime gives you 4 or 5.
Before travelling download content while on the home internet - assuming you’ve unlimited data there - at high resolution/quality rates.

While travelling choose lower resolution rates for live Streaming on 4G.

Only possible issue with home downloaded content that’s affected me: On long trips, for Amazon Prime media you may need to revalidate the downloads but otherwise they play offline. For example I downloaded a live music concert that I never got to watch on a tablet that I don’t connect to internet on the move. It went “unavailable” after many days (didn’t spot when) but back home and connected to the internet the download was revalidated.

Edit. Lol. I type slow and didn’t see dunnah01 ‘s comment on downloads. Anyway, they’re both valid. 😎

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Tut tut you two...think Netflix talked about cracking down on people sharing accounts....
Registered user and 4 guest (family) users on one contract...that's the package we subscribe too...Tut.Tut for Tut Tutting me...😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back