Coffee is a must!! (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The Commandante grinder works well, at a price.

Hario V60 makes very good coffee.

The Bialetti machine makes good espresso if it's well-roasted.
Hand grinders are great for filter or moka in the van (Commodante is a bit heavy, though) but take a long time to grind to the finer end of the spectrum, as required for espresso.
There's an interesting unit coming on the market next year (Crowd funded, like the Niche grinder) called the Arco 2in1 (or something like that) - it's electric but the grinder can be removed and used by hand. Might serve all purposes...
When it comes to grinders, it's said that flat burr are better than conical and the grinder is the most important component when it comes to making 'proper' coffee.

Bruchel

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590 RS
Exp
Newbies
Bit late to this, but I absolutely recommend this: Amazon product ASIN B07R55GT28
Got one for my birthday and I've been really impressed. It will charge from a 240v wall socket, or a 12v cigarette lighter. (both supplied) Uses Nespresso or L'or capsules. Fully charged, it will heat water from cold in about 8 minutes, and make 3 espressos. BUT, if you fill it with hot water from the hob kettle, it makes an espresso in about 30 seconds, and it'll last weeks off a single charge. For a Cappuccino or latte, we take a Nespresso milk frother that plugs in (about 750w), or if you're off grid, milk in a pan on the hob, just like my Nan used to!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Forget all this fancy nonsense.

Get a bottle of Camp hot water, milk and walla. Simples.
( didn't read all the posts so forgive if already suggested :giggle: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Try a Bodum Travel with plunger. Great coffee and it keeps hit for three hours. Great for long motorway runs.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Nespresso in the van, hardly use the kettle.
L’or at home, again, hardly use the kettle.

I personally can’t do with messing around in the morning, I’d rather just pop a capsule in et voilà.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Aero press is the way forward. No power required. I’ve been using mine a couple of years now and I’m still impressed with it. Not quite as good as my gaggia classic but not bad.
I've also been using an aeropress at home, in the van and in my truck but after seeing at Hario Dripper on TV a few weeks ago I thought I'd give it a go. I've got to say, I prefer it to my aeropress not only cause it's easier to clean up but it also makes a far better cup of coffee, in my opinion.

They do 2 sizes, the small one is great for 1 cup but the bigger one will be good for more, and at less than half the price of the Aeropress I wish I'd found them sooner.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
I have a Breville Smartgrinder run via inverter and a Bellman gas stove powered espresso machine. The grinder works fine and is pretty low powered. The Bellman works, but is a bit of a pfaff for one person. I haven’t used it enough to get a great coffee out of it. It does steam milk though which is the thing you don’t get with an Aeropress.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The Bellman is a good bit of kit but somewhat wasteful of water when also used as a moka and, as you say, not simple to clean. It is, however, very good for steaming milk.
I'd swap the Smartgrinder for a hand grinder (a bit slower but the good ones are very good and compact) and get a Moka pot for the coffee. Keep the Bellman for steaming only, which would then require little cleaning.

Sorry - just noted that I've already said just much, earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
That’s possibly a way to go. If you’re using a coffee pot, grind consistency is not so important. I reckon I’d just go for an Aeropress and give up on the steamed milk. Then just have the game of ‘find a decent coffee in France’. (Cause they’re hopeless). :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Aeropress is much lighter still - and compact.
I have one in a drawer, somewhere (with a life-time's supply of filters).
I did not find the coffee as good as that from a Moka pot.
Maybe I should have persevered with it...

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I binned the aeropress for a Moka. The moka is much better coffee, cleaner to use, and also has the benefit that you load it leave it to boil and you can get on with other things, such as cooking breakfast whilst it’s doing its thing, and it keeps the coffee warm. Aeropress is a faff.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
With Moka pot, you really need to stop it just before it starts to splutter.
If you let the steam through, you will get bitterness in the coffee.
Best to plunge the pot under cold water to stop it boiling. It will still keep hot.
It can otherwise be done by switching the heat off as soon as coffee starts to come through, but timing will depend on several factors.

A Bellman pot is different in this respect: You have a valve to control the flow of extracted coffee, so that you can measure what you need, but you need to stand over it to control the pressure inside.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Yep, Aeropress for expresso and mokka pot for others. Who needs bulky machines? That said, I love my SMEG expresso machine at home, Far better than the cheaper countertop machines like DeLonghi or Swan, and proven superior to Gaggia. Tried them all over the years. Krups used to be very good but a few years back they were taken over by Tefal and the quality dived.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Aero press is the way forward. No power required. I’ve been using mine a couple of years now and I’m still impressed with it. Not quite as good as my gaggia classic but not bad.
Agree with Aeropress, we use one at home everyday. Easier to dispose of grounds as well straight into food recycling bin.
they are expensive (for what they are) but look for used off Ebay/Gumtree for £15’ish.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Cheers everyone! Ordered an aeropress! 👍👍
You won’t regret it. If you REALLY get into it you can even get the coffee ground to suit the Aeropress specifically. A finer ground apparently - we just use Supermarket brands tho.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Now I'm back to low carbing, there's something special to me about using my aeropress for my breakfast coffee with cream rather than the usual instant.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Nespresso: for both at home and away. We have different tastes in coffee including decaf if that’s your bag, no fuss no mess, easy to order, easy to store, available throughout Europe. Can try different flavours without being committed to one type until the beans or grounds run out. Doesn’t take up room in the fridge. We love our coffee and the slight compromise against not having to grind the beans is worth it. And it magically appears from one of our overhead lockers. Sorted.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Nespresso: for both at home and away. We have different tastes in coffee including decaf if that’s your bag, no fuss no mess, easy to order, easy to store, available throughout Europe. Can try different flavours without being committed to one type until the beans or grounds run out. Doesn’t take up room in the fridge. We love our coffee and the slight compromise against not having to grind the beans is worth it. And it magically appears from one of our overhead lockers. Sorted.
Sorry can’t give a like for this. Too many little plastic pots ending up in the oceans. As I have said before, coffee really doesn’t need to be in plastic pots.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Sorry can’t give a like for this. Too many little plastic pots ending up in the oceans. As I have said before, coffee really doesn’t need to be in plastic pots.
Nespresso capsules are recycled so no issues on that front. Collected by Nespresso.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back