LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cheers everyone! Ordered an aeropress! 👍👍
I've got one but use a Nespresso machine in the MH, running off a suitable inverter as has been mentioned above.

The Aeropress doesn't make expresso type coffee, it makes (warmish) filter coffee. If this is what you want then it is a good option. However, the reason I stopped using it in the MH wasn't because of the coffee it produced but the mess - I found it impossible to avoid coffee grounds going down the sink. It produces a plug of grounds you can dispose of easily but there was always some which escaped and seemed to find their way everywhere.

But as you've ordered one, give it a go. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've got one but use a Nespresso machine in the MH, running off a suitable inverter as has been mentioned above.

The Aeropress doesn't make expresso type coffee, it makes (warmish) filter coffee. If this is what you want then it is a good option. However, the reason I stopped using it in the MH wasn't because of the coffee it produced but the mess - I found it impossible to avoid coffee grounds going down the sink. It produces a plug of grounds you can dispose of easily but there was always some which escaped and seemed to find their way everywhere.

But as you've ordered one, give it a go. :)
You must be a messy worker ;) I place a kitchen towel under the cup and Aeropress on top, do the do and then open the bin, end off Aeropress and wipe with paper from under cup, eject slug of grounds into bin and wipe plunger with same paper towel, replace Aeropress in cupboard and drink coffee.

The paper under the cup to start is to stop the cup scratching the Corian work top;)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
If you press the aero press hard enough and fast enough it will make crema. Just make sure you don’t let the cup slip.

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
I use a Hario pour over cone with paper filter.
It’s obviously not espresso, but it is proper coffee and it is the easiest to clean up in the van.
If you like good coffee and have never tried a proper pour over, give it a go, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Slow down please. I’ve got an aero press on my Christmas wish list. I have to wait until Friday to see if Santa will deliver so I can play
You’re going to have fun working out what’s best for you with it. You also can feel good that you’re not creating even more of the little plastic pots that end up in oceans.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Another vote for the Aeropress. As well as making a decent cup of coffee, it is much easier to clean than a cafetière.

I used to use the Moka Pot (Bialetti), but now prefer the Aeropress.

Ian
Based on this post I am going to buy one and treat myself :)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
You’re going to have fun working out what’s best for you with it. You also can feel good that you’re not creating even more of the little plastic pots that end up in oceans.
If it arrives I will definitely be practicing. My luxury at home is a bean to cup machine which is brilliant at keeping me going when cooking for guests in the mornings

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Based on this post I am going to buy one and treat myself :)

By way of managing expectations, it is a great alternative to a cafetière producing a good ‘clean’ (i.e. not muddy) cup of coffee with the bonus that it is much easier to clean/dispose of the grounds than with a cafetière.

Does it produce an espresso? Not in my view; but then perhaps I haven’t studied how to do that.

I, like some others on here, prefer to use the ‘inverted’ method. When it’s ready for pressing/serving, I simply (re-) invert it directly onto the cup (no need to put the cup on top of it before (re-) inverting it.

The only word of warning I’d give is make sure you do put a filter paper in the lid; I have forgotten/got distracted a handful of times! In these instances, things get a little messy when (re-) inverting into the cup! 😉

Ian

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Bean to cup for us too at home. Have bought a small bean to cup to use in the MH when on electric but usually use a Bialetti on the gas.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
By way of managing expectations, it is a great alternative to a cafetière producing a good ‘clean’ (i.e. not muddy) cup of coffee with the bonus that it is much easier to clean/dispose of the grounds than with a cafetière.

Does it produce an espresso? Not in my view; but then perhaps I haven’t studied how to do that.

I, like some others on here, prefer to use the ‘inverted’ method. When it’s ready for pressing/serving, I simply (re-) invert it directly onto the cup (no need to put the cup on top of it before (re-) inverting it.

The only word of warning I’d give is make sure you do put a filter paper in the lid; I have forgotten/got distracted a handful of times! In these instances, things get a little messy when (re-) inverting into the cup! 😉

Ian
Have you tired using two or even three paper filters? you do have to press much harder but its nearer to an espresso. Particularly if you press as fast and as hard as you can.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We added a milk frother to our MH kit this year. Really nice to enjoy a good caffè macchiato and isn't too messy or complicated. The coffee is Nespresso via one of the really small Citiz machines and all seems to work well through an eBay inverter.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No decision needed, I looked at the price, wallet says no. :rofl:
Indeed they are not 'cheap' but this is the thought process, if you buy two coffees a day @ £2.50 =£5 x 5 Days = £25 per week, x 4 weeks £100 a month that's £1,200 per year

So if you no longer choose to purchase Coffee whilst out I reckon many could justify it or is that just a mad thought and they are rather nice.

The Gaggia Classic is quite a nice home machine and just looking at it they seem to have updated the steam wand which was one of its weak area's

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Indeed they are not 'cheap' but this is the thought process, if you buy two coffees a day @ £2.50 =£5 x 5 Days = £25 per week, x 4 weeks £100 a month that's £1,200 per year
My buying rate when out is about 1 coffee every 3 months I'll be long gone before I have saved enough to buy one.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My buying rate when out is about 1 coffee every 3 months I'll be long gone before I have saved enough to buy one.
If I spot you when out and about I will buy a nice Coffee for you in a reusable cup :coffee::xsmile:

This may make you chuckle, if a coffee is not made properly I ask them to make it again and if they get it wrong a second time I ask if they would like me to show them and thier manager how

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

So if you no longer choose to purchase Coffee whilst out I reckon many could justify it or is that just a mad thought and they are rather nice.

The Gaggia Classic is quite a nice home machine and just looking at it they seem to have updated the steam wand which was one of its weak area's
I’ve never used the steam wand thing on my classic as I only drink my coffee black. What is it not very good at?

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I quite Fancy a Rocket, and hovering over a Cronometro V/R or Appartamento And then there is the Rocket Porta Via

Decisions Decisions
I've an Appartamento, but not in the van. It's bean (sic) good. I usually have 3 sets of beans on the go, so avoiding the need to purge all the time have a Comandante hand grinder which I do use in the van, with a 25 year old stainless steel moka pot.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I’ve never used the steam wand thing on my classic as I only drink my coffee black. What is it not very good at?
The Classic is quite a good machine, the wand will froth milk but does not do it as well as other machines, I think it lets too much air in, the froth is not as creamy/fine when you compare it to a high end machine so I would be interested to try one of the new classics. Phillips purchased Gaggia a few years back haven't looked to see if they still own them.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Have you tired using two or even three paper filters? you do have to press much harder but its nearer to an espresso. Particularly if you press as fast and as hard as you can.

I’m not sure if you‘re setting me up for a comedy disaster but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and give it a try. 😉🤣

Ian

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've an Appartamento, but not in the van. It's bean (sic) good. I usually have 3 sets of beans on the go, so avoiding the need to purge all the time have a Comandante hand grinder which I do use in the van, with a 25 year old stainless steel moka pot.

I had not seen the Commandant hand grinder that looks like a move piece of kit, can I ask as a an owner of an Appartamento is this a model you would recommend or do you hanker after one of the other models? (I know they are objects of desire :)

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
The Commandante grinder is good.

Hario V60 and good filter papers make better coffee.

The stovepot espresso machine makes good coffee if it's well-roasted.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I had not seen the Commandant hand grinder that looks like a move piece of kit, can I ask as a an owner of an Appartamento is this a model you would recommend or do you hanker after one of the other models? (I know they are objects of desire :)
I set a budget and bought within it. I would recommend it, although I have nothing similar to compare it with other than a succession of ultimately disappointing cheaper machines over the last 30 years. I'll gradually add a competition filter, grouphead thermometer, bottomless portafilter.
With a much bigger budget (and a bigger kitchen with a corner to hide it out of sight) I'd have looked into Decent
For some reason Rocket's tulip cups give me immense satisfaction at least twice a day (sometimes thrice, as I work from home)
<Broken link removed>
and much more so than the flashier cups visitors would get, had I any
Regarding the Comandante, I should have said that you need to buy their Red Clix axle (easy swap) for finer adjustment for espresso.
If I'd needed an electric grinder, and wanting to have different beans daily, I'd have bought a Niche
For the van I use moka pot or pour over. I will probably resist one of these (which I've mentioned on another thread)
As the above shows, you can really get sucked into it although I've avoided dedicated bean scales (I use cheap jewellery scales) and my knock box is a round container from Poundland.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can buy any of these coffee makers but in the end they will all make coffee thats not nice without the right coffee beans it took us a long time to find the one we like and some packets we had one cup and through the rest away, we like lavazza crema e aroma coffee beans

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
You can buy any of these coffee makers but in the end they will all make coffee thats not nice without the right coffee beans it took us a long time to find the one we like and some packets we had one cup and through the rest away, we like lavazza crema e aroma coffee beans
Definitely. And as people have different tastes in coffee some sampling of different types is to be expected. I use a bean to cup machine at home and a moka pot when we are away. The moka pot I find gives a much better taste than using a cafetiere, and it’s easier to clean.

One of the only good things to come from the first lockdown was that although I couldn’t get out for my then favourite coffee beans, I found Pollards do delivery and now order beans from them. The coffee beans from there are the nicest I’ve had.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I set a budget and bought within it. I would recommend it, although I have nothing similar to compare it with other than a succession of ultimately disappointing cheaper machines over the last 30 years. I'll gradually add a competition filter, grouphead thermometer, bottomless portafilter.
With a much bigger budget (and a bigger kitchen with a corner to hide it out of sight) I'd have looked into Decent
For some reason Rocket's tulip cups give me immense satisfaction at least twice a day (sometimes thrice, as I work from home)
<Broken link removed>
and much more so than the flashier cups visitors would get, had I any
Regarding the Comandante, I should have said that you need to buy their Red Clix axle (easy swap) for finer adjustment for espresso.
If I'd needed an electric grinder, and wanting to have different beans daily, I'd have bought a Niche
For the van I use moka pot or pour over. I will probably resist one of these (which I've mentioned on another thread)
As the above shows, you can really get sucked into it although I've avoided dedicated bean scales (I use cheap jewellery scales) and my knock box is a round container from Poundland.

I can tell you have a real passion for Coffee and can’t wait until I change my machine for a Rocket. The Robot looks like a fun device the problem for me is I may buy something like that then not use it.

Have you attended any Barrister courses or are you self taught ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back