Cheap engine oil at Tesco (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I don't know who supplies it but I guarantee Tesco don't want thousands of motorists queuing up to sue them because their engine oil has caused damage. I do know people love to knock Tesco and they don't believe anything can be cheap *and* good, but having worked for them since 1997 I know that sometimes prices drop dramatically just because they want to get rid of stock.
I did a lot of work for tescos as well 6 yrs in fact

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Now all this talk of oil brings a question back to my mind which maybe a Funster will be able to answer.
As I understand the process all lubricating oil starts from crude mineral oil and is refined as required.
That's basic lube oil.
Semi synthetics are I guess a mix between mineral and synthetic.
My question is where does synthetic oil come from?and What makes it different to regular mineral oil?
Any answers gratefully received, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
There is NO way I would ever use cheap oil in any engine .most of the modern engines today take fully synthetic.
brian and jo

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Can't understand why anyone would say don't buy cheap oil. If it's the correct oil for your vehicle then use it...
F. Ex 9.555.35-D2 is a recommended oil for some Fiat diesels. Any oil meeting that spec by any manufacturer is fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Can't understand why anyone would say don't buy cheap oil. If it's the correct oil for your vehicle then use it...
F. Ex 9.555.35-D2 is a recommended oil for some Fiat diesels. Any oil meeting that spec by any manufacturer is fine.
Every one is different I prefer total for my mh.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!

Exactly. It's not cheap because it's made of old cabbages, it's just reduced in price because it's being discontinued. Supermarkets do it a lot. If I see something that's reduced by 80% just because the packaging is being updated I'll buy the buggery out of it! :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Is there anyone you haven't worked for Alan ?

Either you worked for just a week each one or you are really, really old. 
i had 26 jobs before i went self employed . i was always hungry to learn new things and found one contact led me on to the other .
i was self employed about 17 years . but also did work for others at the same time .
later i worked for an agency . might work for three companies a week . all wanted me full time but i wanted to go away every winter so never took their offers up. i was kind offered a driving job this week . . staff on holiday would i be available for a month . but cant do it as i,m not well enough . there are lots of opertunitiesa out there for folk if they put in enough effort .
my son seems to follow my employment record he may have worked for more than me now . yet still companies want him back . he,s managing a hotel and a garage at the moment .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
There is NO way I would ever use cheap oil in any engine .most of the modern engines today take fully synthetic.
brian and jo

If you could define 'cheap' it might help bolster your opinion. If you mean you wouldn't buy an oil from the pound shop, for example, that is of vastly inferior specifications than that required by the maker of your engine, then obviously you wouldn't use it because it could damage the thing. If you mean you wouldn't use an oil below a certain price threshold because expensive=better, then... well, that's good because you're keeping up the profits of some businesses due to your own lack of research. Good for you.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
JEEZ your making it over complicated now ,I just said I wouldn't use cheap oil.you are obviously an oil expert and have the time to sit down and do a lot of research,i don't.i will make it simple for you ,I would only use known branded makes and not oil I have never heard of or oil from a supermarket.
brian and jo

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Cheaper oil changed regularly is far better than posh oil not changed regularly.
U change oil wat is recommended bye wat kind of van u have wat it says in the manual. Bought the van to use not to change it's oil all the time

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
brian and jo
And not only that, manufacturers specify a particular blend.
Usually stated on the container....my Chrysler specifies MB229.5 at around £10 to £15 per ltr retail depending on brand (Mobil 1 being the commonist).....any other blend will eventually kill the DPF filter

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
JEEZ your making it over complicated now ,I just said I wouldn't use cheap oil.you are obviously an oil expert and have the time to sit down and do a lot of research,i don't.i will make it simple for you ,I would only use known branded makes and not oil I have never heard of or oil from a supermarket.
brian and jo

.. And that's fine... (if misguided)

:sleep:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Cheaper oil changed regularly is far better than posh oil not changed regularly.
The X250 was designed to do 25k between services. Most people despite only doing under 10k per year still bin perfectly good oil annually

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I always put in what the makers state it needs.

Older engines need the old fashioned stuff, new engines need the modern synthetic stuff.

Semi or fully synthetic oils have a controlled molecular structure that is destroyed by older engines and accelerated wear will occur if you use this type of oil in them.

Same with newer engines, if you use a older type oil you will need to change it more regularly. If you use a semi or fully synthetic oil you will not need to.

My little van is one year between oil changes if you use a non synthetic and two years if you do. That's the makers recommendation.

And as Bill says most garages will put in what the particular engine requires.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used Comma oil in my motorhomes of the day for years and years without a problem...

Mind you they were of the more mature variety!

My consultant mechanic says I should use mineral oil in my 1987 Hymer as better oil will just spoil it...

I would definitely use the discounted Tesco oil if I was in Blighty.

JJ :cool:
Do not be tempted to use these semi and fully synthetic oils in your Mercedes million miler engine JJ. I tried a semi synthetic in my 410 and it burnt the stuff at an alarming rate. I went back to mineral oil and thankfully all was well. Older Mercedes diesels do not like these modern synthetic oils. Personally I use Fuchs oils which I find are the best for my engine. All diesel engines are not the same, some can be harmed by using synthetic oils as they are to thin. I buy my oil in 25 litre drums and change at 5000 miles even though the oil change recommendations are 20000 kms on the vehicle I am now running. When ever any of my vehicles go into the garage for servicing I insist on supplying my own oil and filters.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Service intervals are quoted by different makers are for their own specs, personally I prefer to change my oils once a year, if you do a low milage don't think you can run that oil for 2 or more years, all oils are hydroscopic and the lower the milage the more water they will absorb, breaking down their lubrication qualities.
Cleaner oils will give injectors and glow plugs a much longer life.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There must be a few here who do their own servicing. Tesco petrol stations are selling engine oil at half price at the moment - 4 litres of diesel/petrol/semi-synth for £8, 2 litres for £4. I ordered loads for my pfs last week so there's plenty to go around.

Thanks for the info Simon -much appreciated-I was not aware of the offer from Tesco-but I am now -I will now decide if its for me or not . But without your post i would not have been advised-
I don't know why such posts attract so much negativity -when they are just offering information -no post makes you use the product -that's a personal choice.
I think if I found something really good , I'd be reluctant to advise it on here.:(

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nearly all posts spawn a wide spread of responses it should not deter members posting. This is why I started the topic "did you spot a bargain price?"
Now all go back to the OP and use the "like" tab regardless of your opinions (y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks for the info Simon -much appreciated-I was not aware of the offer from Tesco-but I am now -I will now decide if its for me or not . But without your post i would not have been advised-
I don't know why such posts attract so much negativity -when they are just offering information -no post makes you use the product -that's a personal choice.
I think if I found something really good , I'd be reluctant to advise it on here.:(
some people like to help.

some people like to moan.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Oil of the correct grade, never fully synthetic, changed often (about every 3000 on my MH) Well over 100,000 motorhome miles done in the last decade, never had a problem, just lucky I guess.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back