LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is well documented that using a fully synthetic oil in Honda Blackbirds ( which I am sure you will agree are somewhat higher performance than the average MH ) will absolutely ruin the engine.

After working exclusively on the things for the past 15 years I would LOVE to be able to offer a clever explanation for this but really cannot..

Put full synth in and it will froth, get the engine vibing, cause the CCT to take an early bath and other really weird effects.

Put dinosaur oil in or semi synth and the bikes love it..

As an aside, why is it so many folk think they know more than the people who build vehicles ?
The amount of times I hear 'I change the oil every 2k miles in my Bird ( or whatever)' is amazing
Honda recommend 8k oil changes.. And when you consider the fact I know of and have serviced LOADS of Birds with considerably more than 1 million miles on them, all of which have had absolutely NO major engine work done, I do not think Honda got it wrong !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Regular oil seems to be so much better than it was when I was a youf, you'd change oil and it was disgusting thick black lumpy stuff. Nowadays the oil after 3000 hard towing miles comes out looking almost as good as it went in.

I'd only use fully synth where the manufacturer insisted; but thinking about it. The last few years John Champers has done all my servicing, I can't be sure what oil he used but it may have been semi-synth.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
There must be a few here who do their own servicing. Tesco petrol stations are selling engine oil at half price at the moment - 4 litres of diesel/petrol/semi-synth for £8, 2 litres for £4. I ordered loads for my pfs last week so there's plenty to go around.

A good post for many but not all. Could save some a few quid and get the oil changed that otherwise would not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
JEEZ your making it over complicated now ,I just said I wouldn't use cheap oil.you are obviously an oil expert and have the time to sit down and do a lot of research,i don't.i will make it simple for you ,I would only use known branded makes and not oil I have never heard of or oil from a supermarket.
brian and jo

You appear to have plenty of time to pointlessly argue about something nobody is forcing you to buy.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Thing is Simon cheap oil no good not in our Motorhomes... Each to there own..:Smile:

Again, there is a difference between "cheap" and cheap. "Reduced" does not always equate to rubbish.
I don't think I'll post any more bargains; some of you lot just argue for the sake of it! You had no intention of buying it so why bother saying so?

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Again, there is a difference between "cheap" and cheap. "Reduced" does not always equate to rubbish.
I don't think I'll post any more bargains; some of you lot just argue for the sake of it! You had no intention of buying it so why bother saying so?
Personally I wouldent by it but some ppl might good luck any way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

please don't stop posting bargains.. some of us do appreciate it. ..

whether we buy or not at least we know about them and can make an informed choice

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks for the tip Simon, much appreciated.

I managed to scoop the last 4 bottles in our local Tesco PFS this afternoon, and will see if I can pick up a few more tomorrow.
Hymie.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Thanks for the tip Simon, much appreciated.

I managed to scoop the last 4 bottles in our local Tesco PFS this afternoon, and will see if I can pick up a few more tomorrow.
Hymie.

If you want more you can ask them to order it in for you. Somebody in the pfs will be responsible for either calling, or taking the ordering call from, the suppliers (Maccess (Pron. Mack-cess)) and they'll be able to tell you when it will be in because the deliveries are on the same day every week. Bear in mind it's discontinued for some reason (usually packaging changes) so it might not come in, but you won't have to pay for it in advance.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
In my Mercedes 310 I use cheap castrol semi normal get this at asda on offer.This gets changed mot time with fuel filters etc. My Honda civic uses a expensive blend of castrol I buy the oil myself saving me money and ensuring the dealer uses nthe recommended stuff. All my motorcycles get castrol semi synthetic oil for the 4 strokes and the 2 strokes get fully syn in there mix.
My new vans 3.0 Renault with Nissan engine I don't know what is recommended but I will proberly go for the same as the sprinter. A guy I know did a lot of oil testing at Recardo for Castrol he really really rated the stuff and reckoned the company was awesome to work with. A friend of mine was sponseed by silkolene once and always used the castrol 2stroke oil and sold on thensilkolene stuff. I always change oil 12 monthly regardless the race bikes get changed every 3 meetings never had an oil issue and always used castrol

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I saw a great offer today on beer and wine in a supermarket. All half price.

Daren't post where it was as folk will complain. And others will say they don't sup cheap booze.
That's y your motorhome runs a bit lumpy ...... It's pissed......:moon2: :rofl:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i take it fs2 doesnt want to buy the oil . or have i read it wrong . hee hee .

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Any Northumbrians in Tynedale area, Hexham Tesco had plenty of the discounted Castrol semi synthetic this evening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back