Charging Leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We're hoping to be able to park our MH in our designated spaces next to house, so we can charge it etc. But in case we can't and we have to have it in a secured place (3mins away) how long do we have to charge it for before we go anywhere, I presume as we hope to use it at least once a month minimum the battery will be ok , but what about the leisure one please

Cheers jakki

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Might be easier to add a solar panel so the leisure battery always stays charged (assuming van is stored outside :) )

To answer your question, it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" thing. Some vans discharge batteries over the course of a week or two, some are fine after a few months.

If it were me putting a van in storage, I'd fit a solar panel connected to the leisure battery, plus another panel connected to the starter battery. Then both should always be fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Might be easier to add a solar panel so the leisure battery always stays charged (assuming van is stored outside :) )

To answer your question, it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" thing. Some vans discharge batteries over the course of a week or two, some are fine after a few months.

If it were me putting a van in storage, I'd fit a solar panel connected to the leisure battery, plus another panel connected to the starter battery. Then both should always be fine.

Yes it will be outside, and in the open, nothing overhanging, etc and we have big skies in the fens so that's perfect, thank you :clap:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Make and model of van will also have some bearing..
Some, like Autotrail have built in smart regulators as standard so just add a solar panel and that will auto charge both the engine and leisure batteries.. Others may need a duel regulator fitting.. Whichever way it can be done..
Mine has 1 panel and smart charges while its sat outside on the drive. Only time i hook up is dead of winter when the solar cant keep up. Once you start driving to a location then the alternator will also add some charge.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just buy a solar controller with two outputs. One output will charge the leisure battery and when it's full the other output will charge the vehicle battery. Why complicate things by adding bits you don't need just something else to go wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you're out once a month, the batteries should be able to look after themselves. If you do not connect to mains on your outings, I'd get a battery-to-battery charger. That will charge your habitation battery much better than the simple split charger you probably have installed whilst on the move.
How long it takes to charge on mains will depend on the size of your batteries, how depleted they are and the charging rate of your charger. Assume anything between one and six hours.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back