CCTV reviewed now too scared to go to sleep (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There's are some cheap but effective battery powered alarms that are for sheds and doors that you could use in the short term in your greenhouse/shed .. or even on your cat flap.. would certainly give you some peace of mind whilst you re assess your general security..

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
David, that's really worrying for you both. I bet you're angry too.
Anyway, I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but statistically they ( or someone they talk to) are likely to be back, and soon ( days or weeks) .
Have a look outside on the road, see if any marks have been made on walls or kerb or pavement etc that weren't there before. Could be paint or chalk and may look like graffiti. Many 'teams' mark target properties.
You'll obviously be looking at your technical solutions but also identify your weak points ( like the cat flap, letter box, accessible locks and catches by small windows etc) as these are often easy fixes. And move keys away from access points ( a fishing rod through a letter box can get your house and car keys !)
Thieves are not exactly bright, but they know about the high tech stuff, it's the basics that may thwart them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Many thanks for all you good wishes, we stayed awake till 6 this morning alternating between us, keeping more than half an eye permanently on the camera screen which we have on a laptop, so upstairs with us last night and repeated on Bevs iPad

We convinced ourselves that by 6 they will creep back to their holes for fear of being seen by the good folks getting up to normal lives going to work etc

It also started to rain and that really made our minds up they wouldn't be back last night

The house is already permanently illuminated, will be having a serious review today, our alarm we use when away we know can be set to work while we are in but we have forgotten how to set that option, I will find out today (y)

IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_4380.JPG
IMG_4381.JPG
IMG_4382.JPG
IMG_4383.JPG
IMG_4384.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG

these lights are all on dawn to dusk sensors, these people have no fear, the last time we actually confronted someone the sensor caught, from an upstairs bedroom window I would add, he simply said 'sorry mate got the wrong drive' probably even in law impossible to challenge, although the reviewed images showed him wearing a full face balaclava o_O not quite the mistake he implied :mad:

Not really sure what more we can do lighting wise, but I do like activated things as well, so will review options today (y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
David hope you got some sleep last night, not a nice feeling, just shows you it's worth the security and extra that I'm sure you'll put in. So bad that this has to be do to keep us safe.

Edit. See you did get much sleep, :(

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Best of that is when I went to close greenhouse looked around for possible missing stuff Bev had been chopping kindling and had left a hand axe by door. Still there but now inside

Now that would worry me...

Hope you get it sorted... Security lights? BIG SIGN,,, Lola Lives here...

angry-chihuahua-growling-2-years-old-14096201.jpg

Titchdog

Free Member
Aug 3, 2017
Funster No
We have two happy terriers who go ballistic if a robin sits on the hedge but would sleep through a rerun of lethal weapon live in our lounge...

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Lighting is a bit of a double edged sword. It may have some deterrent effect, especially if you're there to react to it, BUT it also gives the attackers light to see and work by. That's assuming it's at night, lots of day burglars about too.

( really sorry, don't want to cause you more worry, just providing info!)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe a high electric gate with some barbed wire across the entry might help.

If the photos can be enhanced you could post them over the local Facebook pages but even if you found out who they were I bet the police would do very little at this time.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Think you have just made up my mind for me @DavidG58.
Been thinking about getting some cameras set up at home. We are away a lot and we are surrounded by fields and trees so security has always been a bit of a concern.
The question is, do I just fit a 'home' kit from Maplin or get a security company to come and do a survey?

Richard.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I suppose levels of security depend on what you have to lose apart from your life.
I personally donā€™t need an alarm cos Iā€™ve nowt worth stealing.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
What objects do you have to hand ???

Using reasonable force against intruders

You can use reasonable force to protect yourself or others if a crime is taking place inside your home.

This means you can:

• protect yourself ā€˜in the heat of the momentā€™ - this includes using an object as a weapon
  • stop an intruder running off - eg tackle them to the ground
Thereā€™s no specific definition of ā€˜reasonable forceā€™ - it depends on the circumstances. If you only did what you honestly thought was necessary at the time, this would provide strong evidence that you acted within the law. Read Broken Link Removed

You donā€™t have to wait to be attacked before defending yourself in your home.

However, you could be prosecuted if, for example, you:

• carry on attacking the intruder even if youā€™re no longer in danger
  • pre-plan a trap for someone - rather than involve the police
https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-force-against-intruders

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You can't have anything nice can you, same applies to a nice car, you daren't leave it anywhere. Glad we've got a shit little house and shit little car, and the van's unseen in the garage (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I suppose levels of security depend on what you have to lose apart from your life.
I personally donā€™t need an alarm cos Iā€™ve nowt worth stealing.
But it might make the shy*ebags choose a different place if you had at least an alarm box on your property Sandra. Even if there's nothing to take you'd still have the hassle of having to make good the damage they caused to get in and the mess once inside....just my thoughts...:(

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Just seen this . As everyone previously has said :Eeek::swear2:
Hope you get your extra security measures sorted today.
I think Iā€™d print out and laminate photos of the images too. Put them up around your property.
Also if you find that the sensors can be turned around , make it so they canā€™t.
Very Tempting as it is to wire up anything to the mains . Youā€™d be in serious trouble if the poor burglar hurt himself !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
But it might make the shy*ebags choose a different place if you had at least an alarm box on your property Sandra. Even if there's nothing to take you'd still have the hassle of having to make good the damage they caused to get in and the mess once inside....just my thoughts...:(

Certainly never worked in Davidā€™s case. Theives are brazen nowadays.

Jan 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
VW Trident
Exp
Since April 2015
@DavidG58 hope you got some sleep. I would be freaked out. Take care

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
My mum was burgled over Christmas and the burglar came through the window at the front of the house. Brazen as anything. Even smashed the secondary glazing unit.
Nobody heard a thing.
Luckily my mum wasnā€™t in the house, but returned to find all her jewellery gone! The police said that he was a professional and would have only been in the house for a matter of minutes!

She was petrified that they would return, so we went to B@Q and bought a Yale wireless alarm system and cctv. I was able to programme it in myself, whilst Terry fitted the sensors up.
An electrician was called in to install the cctv.

All in all, it cost about Ā£1000 and works a treat. Mum is able to view the cameras from her phone, wherever she is. She gets notified if there is an intruder.

A good value piece of kit that has given her peace of mind.

Hope you get some sleep tonight David, itā€™s a horrible feeling when scum think they can help themselves. I felt bad enough discovering that some scrote had pinched my electric fencing battery, the other night!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Wow, just read this thread - incredible brass neck of some people..I hope you are managing some sleep David, ultimately thereā€™s only so much you can do.

But is it worth sharing the pictures on Facebook asking if anyone can identify them? If youā€™re not on FB then it might be worth seeing if any Funsters in your area who are on FB will post the photos? A lot of communities have a local Facebook page (we do here) and these things are shared and often the people are identified. Someone knows someone who knows someone...Plus if they do see it they might think twice about a return visit as they have been pictured in action.

Keep safe.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Think you have just made up my mind for me @DavidG58.
Been thinking about getting some cameras set up at home. We are away a lot and we are surrounded by fields and trees so security has always been a bit of a concern.
The question is, do I just fit a 'home' kit from Maplin or get a security company to come and do a survey?

Richard.

I would say look at both options, ours was very expensive 10 years ago but still going strong good images viewable away from home, fitted by a relative in security, getting him back for review today

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
David I would alert the neighbours up and down your road ,they may have been visited by the same people and may also have pictures . I would also consider fitting gates as well as from the pictures it looks like your house has open access .A worrying time for you and your wife but you can only make it harder for the scumbags if its too difficult for them they will go elsewhere.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@DavidG58
Horrible experience for you, and worrying.

We have an alarm system and PIR lighting as a ā€œcomfortā€ measure for ourselves. When I was working I knew a Crime Prevention Officer whoā€™se job it was to advise householders on security. He always said, ā€œYou can only do so much. Nothing is infallible.ā€

When I asked him what he would recommend for maximum security he replied ā€œThe only truly good ones are the BBA and the BBCā€.

When I asked what they were he said ā€œA Bloody Big Alsatian and Breeze Block Curtainsā€.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"It also started to rain and that really made our minds up they wouldn't be back last night"

The sound of the rain will actually give them more opportunity as it hides other noises :(
Been the victim many times of break in's at business premises and at home, so can understand what your going through.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Shocked to read this post, although we live behind gates we do have cctv and alarm and security lights but one of the best deterants is remote control flood lights around the house these are mounted under the gutter and are extremely bright (Mighty Lights) when switched on it looks like Colditz and would give anyone a shock.
One other thing you may consider is a Canary as you can shout at them through it from your phone

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
David , having seen your trouble on the morning thread, I found you here, very unnerving, how's Bev I hope she's ok, I take it your upgrading your security today, however temping it is, remember one thing. your not as young as you were, there's not good being a hero if your dead. Ive had knives pulled on me in the past and been lucky, I would back away now. If I can help with anything ring me.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Hi David / Bev really sorry to read this. Far too many thieving scroats about, Nephew found 3 in his house before Christmas, one was dark skinned maybe half cast, two wore masks, they had some type of hand weapons, they nicked his car and tried to run him down. They sped off at ridiculous speeds past a village school etc. 2 burglaries a night in the village where he lives. 8 breakins on my daughters estate since she moved in. Nephew got car back by activating an existing tracker. Why more Police resources are not put on to catching these thieves is unbelievable to me, I frankly doubt it would be that difficult. We had a new caravan stolen from the driveway at our last house, they knocked on our door a couple of days before claiming to be looking for tarmac work. In my opinion its not in the interests of vehicle manufacturers to really stop all this or the insurance companies, they sell more vehicles and justify massive premiums. If all vehicles had some hidden chip in them with scanners at petrol stations /ferry ports the vehicles and occupants would soon show up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back