CCTV reviewed now too scared to go to sleep (2 Viewers)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to read this @DavidG58
Not much I can add to what has already been said before... fingers crossed they were just "chancers" seeing if anything was open or laying about within easy reach...

As most of your security seems to be 'passive', I'd be wondering about something a bit more reactive - to startle or make the scroats think they've been spotted...

I've always "liked" the thought of these;
Shotgun Mine Alarm
Deafen them, wake you.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Not nice and very worrying indeed.

I personally use the Netatmo Presence security camera. Great bit of kit and very easy to install, link here

It replaces an external light and connects to the home network. You can set it up to notify you whether a vehicle, person or animal is seen and also acts as a security light. You can set it up so that it notifies you of a person being seen and then you can turn the light on via the app(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
cat flap panel now properly secured

police on their way to take details / photos

daughter has found on FB a page for Bolsover with comments about a transit with foreign plates and 2 people one female on the estate next to us early Monday morning

upload_2018-1-23_10-48-31.png

will get the opinion of the police but might share the photos of the 'crims' on there :)(y)

like the idea of a poster at end of drive as suggested above (y)(y) and in local shops etc

they are almost certainly not local and hopefully were only looking for easy pickings, but they really spent an awful long time seemingly knowing they were on camera trying to get the panel out where the temporary cat flap was fitted, hopefully was just car keys they wanted

even more hopefully we will never find out :)(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is really scary David, nothing wose than the feeling that your private space has been invaded. About 25 years ago we had a burglary I remember every time we came home after being out I would go around the whole house checking every room, did this for a couple of years.
Hopefully as the scrotes were aware of your sensors & cameras they will not be back and will go for easier targets.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
BTW anybody worried me having a go, it has made my blood boil and still is, but it has also made my knees go wobbly

I might be over 18 stone, might like to think I can defend my wife and household, but the idea of getting hurt dong it terrifies me

There will be no bravery awards coming my way over saving my property :)(y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Checked this thread first thing this morning & relieved to hear that you had a quiet (if not restful) night. Think lots of us are looking at upping our security today.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
So sorry to read this David it must be unnerving knowing that these :swear2: have been wondering around outside your house.
When I lived in Lancashire I had two brand new Ifor Williams horse trailers stolen from my stable yard which was next to the house we had security posts and big metal gates but they somehow managed to extract the trailers. The gates had been lifted from the posts even the police couldn’t work out how they had got the trailer past the security post..
After the first one was stolen we replaced it with another new one which was only 1 week old when that was taken. When we replaced that one we had it sign written as advised by the police. We managed to keep that one.
Hope you manage to get your security system upgraded although it sounds like you already have far more than a lot of us have.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Obviously I shouldn't make light of this scary situation - but you seem to have taken the sensible approach, and others have come up with 'serious' suggestions - so I'm just putting this here as a possible consideration as an optional extra for your "fleet"...

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'd also put laminated photos up, and in local shops if poss. Let them know they've been seen.
30 odd years ago had someone trying to get in through the cat flap. Police later told me they were probably tring to knock the key out of e door, retrieve it and open the back door. I was only adult in the house with 2 kids so stayed upstairs and called the police, then started yelling my head off. Whoever it was ran. Turned out they'd tried a couple of other houses in the village in the same way.
Without kids in the hose, these days I'd just wade in with a saucepan.

I'd definitely post the photos you have on your drive and in local shops, will alert other homeowners too.
I don't do Facebook but get someone in the area to put the photos up. Wouldn't surprise me if they're identified that way.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maybe a high electric gate with some barbed wire across the entry might help.

No longer allowed on domestic property - Health and Safety.
In desperation I took the chance and wired up a similar experimental security arrangement some years ago. I came back after a long weekend away and a potential intruder had touched the device and tripped the RCD. Unfortunately it was wired to a kitchen 13amp ring and the powerless freezer had defrosted, soaking my floor carpet tiles.
A neighbour had to remove the (now illegal) glass shards set around 80 years ago in the mortar capping from 30 metres of the 3m high brick garden wall of his Victorian cottage.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you do take action against them , don't do enough to disable them , just enough to deter them from returning . That way shows reasonableness, and also they aren't likely to go and dob themselves in to make a complaint of ABH/GBH :D2

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
If you get a gate, sod health & safety, put loads of barbed wire on the top, drive 6in nails with a nice point ground on the top, and tell any Dudley do right that you have a massive cat/pigeon problem :);)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Policeman just been, really nice young man, they are definitely getting younger, my kids are older than he was :)

he loved the idea of the photos although he did add it wasn't a police recommendation, but they are my images and my choice to share, apparently no breach of any data protection which makes a nice change (y)

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Policeman just been, really nice young man, they are definitely getting younger, my kinds are older than he was :)

he loved the idea of the photos although he did add it wasn't a police recommendation, but they are my images and my choice to share, apparently no breach of any data protection which makes a nice change (y)

Did he instill any confidence in you that they would catch the bastards David?

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
In law is PLOD. He always told me if you catch someone on your property.... twat em 1st, ask questions later....telling the investigating Plod, that you feared for your life and wellbeing..
Never ask them what they are doing, as they wriggle out of it.
I have a nice baseball bat and ball,,,,, for exercising the dog.... but she doesn’t like fetch
:D2:D2:D2

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
If you get a gate, sod health & safety, put loads of barbed wire on the top, drive 6in nails with a nice point ground on the top, and tell any Dudley do right that you have a massive cat/pigeon problem :);)
Not really a practical option on the open plan frontage of David's plot .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not read all the thread yet David so probably repeating everyone else ... really angry at toe rags who think they can just be opportunists with other people's homes.

The woman's shoes look way too big for her ..npossibly to disguise that any prints are from a female? And it looks a bit like a hockey stick he holding.

Main thing now is protecting mum, Bev and yourself ... would defi itely get an expert in.

WHY I have to ask did they not go for the easy target of breaking into the mh? Strange.

Keep strong.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
.... tell any Dudley do right that you have a massive cat/pigeon problem :);)

I virtually solved a major stinky cat poo problem (had to give up growing salad and root crops) by tacking lengths of that 'invisible' spiky carpet gripper (Smoothedge) along the top of my fences. No-one has complained about it yet.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
upload_2018-1-23_12-36-38.png

This is handy product for fixing on fencing, walls and gates to stop unwelcome visitors climbing in / over. It is advertised as a bird and cat deterrent and comes supplied with warning signs.
Known as Prikka Strip

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Scumbags....i absolutely can't stand thieving sods. I've been lucky never to have a house broken in to but had several cars and one of my old vw camper vans done and it isn't pleasant.
Hope they catch the buggers and they don't come back.

You should build some " home alone" type boobytraps around the property that will teach them.

I carry a nice solid louiseville slugger in my camper...unfortunately I just lost the ball :p

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your 'sensor' needs moving somewhere less accessible if they could get close enough to turn it round.
I would also check it's working.
To remove the catflap to gain entry would get me worried.
If they can then get through the opening you must have a bloody big cat...with big teeth and claws.
Most cat flaps are only around 300mms x 200mm.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
View attachment 208597

This is handy product for fixing on fencing, walls and gates to stop unwelcome visitors climbing in / over. It is advertised as a bird and cat deterrent and comes supplied with warning signs.
Known as Prikka Strip

Unfortunately they just stick a coat or blanket over and still get in :(
If they want to get in and get something they will. Just keep safe. Just dont put any new measures on here, you never know who is watching.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Your 'sensor' needs moving somewhere less accessible if they could get close enough to turn it round.
I would also check it's working.
To remove the catflap to gain entry would get me worried.
If they can then get through the opening you must have a bloody big cat...with big teeth and claws.
Most cat flaps are only around 300mms x 200mm.

somewhere near the beginning of the thread I explained the cat flap was on a temporary piece of board fitted by builders 2 years ago and I never got round to having it refitted properly when the extension was finished o_O they had nearly removed the board the wedges that had been put in to keep it in place had nearly all dropped out, that would have left them a hole 400 x 600 to get through, still too small for me :) but these two looked pretty slim

the sensor they turned is a heat activated / heat source sensor, intended to detect body heat, if above head height it would be pretty much useless, the sensor is black and not overly obvious, but once it is activated it sounds a beeper inside but does flash a red beam that then highlights its position, raising is no use, an alternative is being researched as I type (y) the current one has been very effective in turning back at least 2 others that we heard the beep and saw intruder on the cameras, this one has a range of 50' and is mounted about 3' above ground level so as not to be activated by cats etc a good idea has served well for 10 years, now time to improve it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
somewhere near the beginning of the thread I explained the cat flap was on a temporary piece of board fitted by builders 2 years ago and I never got round to having it refitted properly when the extension was finished
My apologies David, I missed that bit.
But my sensor comment stands.
If they can get close enough to turn it it doesn't work.
Also, they don't appear fazed by the lights reflected on the motorhome.
Perhaps a 500w halogen floodlight (or LED equivalent) may have a different effect on them.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back