JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We have a 2009 Autotrail Cherokee 740SE with a 3 litre Auto engine/box. Weight 4000kg.
We want to tow a car now and then with an A frame, which we have all the required knowledge about. We have been quoted £1,020 for the bar with electronic braking.
What we want is ideas for a new car that we can tow and use as a family car. Also with a good spec.
We did pick one, a Suzuki Ignis SX5 but had to cancel when Suzuki said it cannot be towed on four wheels. They said it had to be either the two front or the two back.
We have shortlisted three, those being Seat Ibiza 1.6 xcellence diesel (1256kg).......Citreon C3 (1090kg).......Honda Jazz (1100kg).
Are we looking at the right cars, or are there better?
It has to be big enough to carry a big mobility scooter...and Benji of course.

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Graham they all seem a tad on the heavy side. Do you know what weight the Autotrail is capable of towing? Most 'toads' are usually sub 1000kg and are not classed as 'family'cars but more as compact cars, i.e. VW Up, Smart, Aygo, Citroen, Peugeot, Seat, Skoda.

This company may be able to advise.

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We A Frame a Fiat 500. Nice little car that does the job... bit small to be used as family car though, but ideal as the good lady’s shopping trolley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Thanks
Reactions: JaG
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Graham they all seem a tad on the heavy side. Do you know what weight the Autotrail is capable of towing? Most 'toads' are usually sub 1000kg and are not classed as 'family'cars but more as compact cars, i.e. VW Up, Smart, Aygo, Citroen, Peugeot, Seat, Skoda.

This company may be able to advise.

It says in the manual 1040kg however, if you have not used your 744kg payload you can add it to the weight of the vehicle. The towbar is an Armitage

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It says in the manual 1040kg however, if you have not used your 744kg payload you can add it to the weight of the vehicle. The towbar is an Armitage
Not sure about that, the towing limit and subsequent train weight will be determined by whatever the chassis can handle, don’t see how you can expect it to take the extra load.

• Informative
Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
744kg won't go a long way if your putting Jeans scooter in and all your clobber as well. Dont forget 744 takes into account 1.5 passengers 1/2 tank of fuel some water, but doesn't account of accessories such as solar panels, additional batteries etc etc. If I were you Id be going for the lightest toad you can find.

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
NEW car? why? you will invalidate the warranty by fitting an a frame- I would buy a s/h car ....
Cheers, Dave
Also don't forget to add the weight of the a frame.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
NEW car? why? you will invalidate the warranty by fitting an a frame- I would buy a s/h car ....
Cheers, Dave
Also don't forget to add the weight of the a frame.
Thanks, did not realise that. The reason it is new is because it is a Motability car. They have given permission however, never said about the A Frame warranty issue.

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks, did not realise that. The reason it is new is because it is a Motability car. They have given permission however, never said about the A Frame warranty issue.
I have had M/B cars adapted in the past with an a frame, so you will be ok as long as they know
Dave (y)

• Informative
Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure about that, the towing limit and subsequent train weight will be determined by whatever the chassis can handle, don’t see how you can expect it to take the extra load.

It won’t be taking any extra load. Provided the train weight is not exceeded the brakes are designed for, and will be capable of dealing with, the MTW.

ian

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It won’t be taking any extra load. Provided the train weight is not exceeded the brakes are designed for, and will be capable of dealing with, the MTW.

ian
This is where we disagree, I’m guessing that it is an Alko chassis and possibly with a lightweight extension, this will determine the weight to be towed not the van brakes or engine size.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
This is where we disagree, I’m guessing that it is an Alko chassis and possibly with a lightweight extension, this will determine the weight to be towed not the van brakes or engine size.
Yes it is an ALKO chassis.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Yes, it’s possible that the rear end structure MAY be the limiting factor.
However, without data from the manufacturer it is not possible to judge whether or
not this is a limitation.
It would be inconceivable that a manufacturer would not design a vehicle to be capable of towing the maximum legally permissible load (i.e. MTW - ULW). That, in my view, would be grossly negligent.

Ian

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, it’s possible that the rear end structure MAY be the limiting factor.
However, without data from the manufacturer it is not possible to judge whether or
not this is a limitation.
It would be inconceivable that a manufacturer would not design a vehicle to be capable of towing the maximum legally permissible load (i.e. MTW - ULW). That, in my view, would be grossly negligent.

Ian
Again we disagree, you never hear this discussion when referring to cars, they have a payload and towing weight. When I had my Volvo XC90 it could carry 7 people and tow 2.2 tons which is what it was designed to tow. If there was only one person in the car then you cannot suddenly tow 2.2 tons plus the weight of 6 people. There is no doubt that the chassis construction is the limiting factor, there is no maybe about it.:D

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We have a 2009 Autotrail Cherokee 740SE with a 3 litre Auto engine/box. Weight 4000kg.
We want to tow a car now and then with an A frame, which we have all the required knowledge about. We have been quoted £1,020 for the bar with electronic braking.
What we want is ideas for a new car that we can tow and use as a family car. Also with a good spec.
We did pick one, a Suzuki Ignis SX5 but had to cancel when Suzuki said it cannot be towed on four wheels. They said it had to be either the two front or the two back.
We have shortlisted three, those being Seat Ibiza 1.6 xcellence diesel (1256kg).......Citreon C3 (1090kg).......Honda Jazz (1100kg).
It looks like you could be looking at one of the small cars such as a Citroen C1 or Argo which weigh around 860kg.
We use our C1 as our only car and manage although it’s on the small size but it’s 4 doors and automatic so suits us but we don’t really travel far.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
What is your time frame?
We will have our 19 reg Picanto X line S for sale in Spring, ready done ready to go with 6 year Warranty remaining

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
It looks like you could be looking at one of the small cars such as a Citroen C1 or Argo which weigh around 860kg.
We use our C1 as our only car and manage although it’s on the small size but it’s 4 doors and automatic so suits us but we don’t really travel far.
Automatic? Can you tow an automatic at 60mph? Never realised that.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Again we disagree, you never hear this discussion when referring to cars, they have a payload and towing weight. When I had my Volvo XC90 it could carry 7 people and tow 2.2 tons which is what it was designed to tow. If there was only one person in the car then you cannot suddenly tow 2.2 tons plus the weight of 6 people. There is no doubt that the chassis construction is the limiting factor, there is no maybe about it.:D

Where was the towing limit defined?

Ian

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When we tow, which is not often, it is a Suzuki Alto, now 5 years old. With the back seat down it makes a 2 seater with plenty of room for two medium/large dogs in the back. Road tax zero also, which a new one would not be. 70miles to gallon.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Wherever the manufacturers put it, the payload on my C1 is on one of the doors but it cannot tow anything.
It’s ussually on the V5 as well.

I have never seen a towing limit where you describe. I have however seen MGV and MTW detailed. Are you suggesting that the towing limit is MTW - MGW?

Ian

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
They are in the Handbook on the one I am getting.

I should adhere to that limit then.

It would be interesting to compare the specified limit with the value derived from the VIN plate values of MTW and MGW.

Ian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
I should adhere to that limit then.

It would be interesting to compare the specified limit with the value derived from the VIN plate values of MTW and MGW.

Ian
It says 1040kg in the manual. Not got it yet so cannot see the plate.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I have never seen a towing limit where you describe. I have however seen MGV and MTW detailed. Are you suggesting that the towing limit is MTW - MGW?

Ian
I was referring to cars earlier but yes what you can tow is Train weight less the Gross vehicle weight which is often quite low on many vans.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There is often a towing limit related to the towbar which may differ from train weight-GVW.
My landrover hitch had a towing limit of 4 tons but this would exceed the maximum train weight and would have been somewhat unsafe as the trailer would weigh more than the towing vehicle.
There will also be a noseweight limit. Not important with an a frame as weight is low but important with a trailer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back