JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We have a 2009 Autotrail Cherokee 740SE with a 3 litre Auto engine/box. Weight 4000kg.
We want to tow a car now and then with an A frame, which we have all the required knowledge about. We have been quoted £1,020 for the bar with electronic braking.
What we want is ideas for a new car that we can tow and use as a family car. Also with a good spec.
We did pick one, a Suzuki Ignis SX5 but had to cancel when Suzuki said it cannot be towed on four wheels. They said it had to be either the two front or the two back.
We have shortlisted three, those being Seat Ibiza 1.6 xcellence diesel (1256kg).......Citreon C3 (1090kg).......Honda Jazz (1100kg).
Are we looking at the right cars, or are there better?
It has to be big enough to carry a big mobility scooter...and Benji of course.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Your post said it was from a Ducato in which case it wouldn’t be relevant. Might be worth clarifying if it is from the Fiat or the Hymer handbook.

Ian
If you had Read my post #85 you would see it is already clarified.?

Reactions: JaG
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Lots of miss information in this thread
If you have a Van with a 3500kg van with a 6000 kg train weight and you put an EMPTY 3500 kg trailer PLATED at 3500 kg ( that weighs,say, 600kg) you are illegal

No you are not .The police might spout that old ****ocks but the relevant fact I have posted before.
here;
IMG_20150510_0001.pdf

0-02-0a-07ae6d86d7bbab6ccf051d00d1af03d83d8e6be4e68fa1c30fec0646bd8ab8e6_ebd23b0e.jpg

Yes, because VOSA only work on gross weights, not actual weights.
They will look at the van and trailer plates to calculate your gross train weight and as long as neither is exceeded you are legal.

As above it is the actual weight .Just because it can doesn't mean that it is ,therefore the whole rig has to be weighed.
They tried that at the outset along with the police but going down that road would mean anyone with a penis was a rapist.
I have been in touch with the showroom where the motorhome is and the reply I have got about the Plate is: Replacement plate only shows max weight of 3900KG. However brochure states GTW of 5040KG so you are good 1140KG trailer.
I'd check with them again as to my knowledge i f there is no " gross train weight" shown , even if it has been inadvertently left off, it legally means that it cannot tow anything.
Not in the UK?
A CoC is a Coc .If modified the vehicle no longer complied with its manufactured base. You can't remove the dpf, catalyst or modify them & remain legal, so would would anyone think it is ok to modify a crash tested structure?

Attachments

• IMG_20150510_0001.pdf
    618.9 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
No you are not .The police might spout that old ****ocks but the relevant fact I have posted before.
here;
IMG_20150510_0001.pdf

View attachment 338491

As above it is the actual weight .Just because it can doesn't mean that it is ,therefore the whole rig has to be weighed.
They tried that at the outset along with the police but going down that road would mean anyone with a penis was a rapist.

I'd check with them again as to my knowledge i f there is no " gross train weight" shown , even if it has been inadvertently left off, it legally means that it cannot tow anything.
A CoC is a Coc .If modified the vehicle no longer complied with its manufactured base. You can't remove the dpf, catalyst or modify them & remain legal, so would would anyone think it is ok to modify a crash tested structure?
I have printed the letter out as my brain is liquidised at this time of night. Thanks for giving the info. (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's an entire industry in the UK devoted to just that. We're able to swap engines, brakes, design and add roll cages, fit free-flow catalytic converters, modify engine software, etc. And remain legal.

Reactions: JaG
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back