Canal du Midi (it’s not that good) (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
having just spent a couple of days by the Canal du Midi I have come to the conclusion that it is much overrated. Sure, as an engineering excercise it is quite amazing, but other than that it’s not really much to look at. We have walked/cycled the stretch between Le Somail and Beziers and I think there are MUCH nicer and more attractive canals in England and Wales (Mon and Brec is better, Llangollen is better).

It’s a good job we looked in as we were passing otherwise we would have been really disappointed if we had chosen it as a destination :eek:

Just sayin :rolleyes:

Jan 10, 2011
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Frankia i800 A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Probably you should have ventured further inland, some really nice stops along the canal. Just saying

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
All true what you say gents, but many people bang on about how ‘stunning’ and ‘pretty’ the Canal du Midi is................. I’m just saying I don’t think it is :rolleyes:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
having just spent a couple of days by the Canal du Midi I have come to the conclusion that it is much overrated. Sure, as an engineering excercise it is quite amazing, but other than that it’s not really much to look at. We have walked/cycled the stretch between Le Somail and Beziers and I think there are MUCH nicer and more attractive canals in England and Wales (Mon and Brec is better, Llangollen is better).

It’s a good job we looked in as we were passing otherwise we would have been really disappointed if we had chosen it as a destination :eek:

Just sayin :rolleyes:

Some stretches of the Canal du Midi are quite rural & pretty going through interesting little town & villages with cafes & restaurants in abundance eg Colombiers (Camping Peupliers there) you must have passed through it between Le Somail & Beziers) then south of Beziers there is the charming village of Villeneuve Beziers (Camping Berges du Canal) a very pleasant town.

Further North there is Trebes (Municipal camping A L'ombre des Micocouliers) another very pleasant town with easy cycling along the Canal to Carcasonne

Just saying:):D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Haha, you’re all wrong :LOL:

Ain’t got a patch on UK canals :rolleyes:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have done it twice, one autumn one spring trip, we were disappointed this spring but mainly that the canal was closed to navigation and actually drained in a good few places for maintenance

the area is nice, the climate so much better than ours and the canal increases camping opportunities

I haven't heard it called pretty, but have mostly liked the bits we have found (y)

agree with you on the UK canals as well though, but try finding a free place to overnight near one :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
All true what you say gents, but many people bang on about how ‘stunning’ and ‘pretty’ the Canal du Midi is................. I’m just saying I don’t think it is :rolleyes:
But you only saw a very small section of it,,plenty of British canals have their ugly parts,,,BUSBY,,

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think my Sues vote would be for the Kennet and Avon canal near Devizes. After all she took the trouble to inspect it from the inside as well after she fell off her bike on the towpath.......

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The whole of France is overrated if you ask me.

Although I accept you weren’t asking me:)

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
What's wrong with snails

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
we have done it twice, one autumn one spring trip, we were disappointed this spring but mainly that the canal was closed to navigation and actually drained in a good few places for maintenance

the area is nice, the climate so much better than ours and the canal increases camping opportunities

I haven't heard it called pretty, but have mostly liked the bits we have found (y)

agree with you on the UK canals as well though, but try finding a free place to overnight near one :)
Caen Hill locks on the Kennet and Avon canal just west of Devizes, huge carpark halfway up the flight. Don't know if you ha e to pay now. Never used to but things change.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've cycled the Nante-Brest canal and it has some pretty sections - but canals are still relatively boring! :)

12NantesBridgePose.jpg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
ACBF01A2-30AA-49D5-967E-1181A43B9283.jpeg
AA8EF788-8ED0-4065-9913-CF00DDF62301.jpeg
E6036A87-58FA-4F2F-866D-E3FC1CB82E65.jpeg
We cycled / camped along the Canal du Midi from Toulouse to the junction with the Canal de la Robine where we headed to Porte la Nouvelle. Best holiday of my life. I guess that’s what’s great about this world ... if everyone liked scenes like this they would be crowded ...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've cycled the Nante-Brest canal and it has some pretty sections - but canals are still relatively boring! :)

View attachment 276681

Our very first holiday in France, hired a boat at La Roche Bernard, chugged up the river to the canal. Fantastic adventure for two young daughters. To enjoy a canal you have to be on a boat, drink in hand, simples.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Thing is, they need to be washed down with a beer, and that’s another €8:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun