Can you recommend an aires (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
We are catching the 8.30 am shuttle on Sunday for our trip down to Spain , can anyone recommend an Aire somewhere between Alencon and Le Mans and not to far from the motorway . We have not used aires before and my wife is fretting a bit that she does not where we are stopping I would be quite happy to use the app but she wants to know now :whistle: so can any suggest any where .

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We are catching the 8.30 am shuttle on Sunday for our trip down to Spain , can anyone recommend an Aire somewhere between Alencon and Le Mans and not to far from the motorway . We have not used aires before and my wife is fretting a bit that she does not where we are stopping I would be quite happy to use the app but she wants to know now :whistle: so can any suggest any where .
I can appreciate your predicament. My wife was very worried about the idea of aires before we first went but now would be more concerned about having to be at any particular aire. First time time it is reassuring to know which aire you intend to use but once familiar with aire usage you'll get used to going to the area you want then just find a local aire. If you don't like it go to the next one. It's not like this country where you have to book everything. (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tell her not to fret, there are several along the D338.
Use the app to find one that looks like it might suit. If you turn up and don't like it, move to the next one.
Enjoy your trip.
Remember, no fuel on Sunday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Women! My missus is the same, 'where are we going to stay tonight'?

I don't know until we get there!

I can't be doing with this pre-planning, just float along and see what happens. If you have to be somewhere by a certain time/day you find yourself trying to achieve that target, and miss lots of interesting things along the way.

Plus, if you get to your pre-planned stop over, and it is a dump, you have to start looking all over again.

Craig

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can't be doing with this pre-planning, just float along and see what happens. If you have to be somewhere by a certain time/day you find yourself trying to achieve that target, and miss lots of interesting things along the way.
That what's Motorhoming is all about.(y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Classic mistake we made in year one of MH ing. :whistle: Now we look at an area we like the look of, then look at the CC App / All Aires Book and choose a couple.;) First one full or closed, choose number two. (y) Saying that, we often don't even make the area cos we've stopped too long for lunch or "Did you see that....Let's go back" so have to look at the App for - "Aires around Me":rolleyes:

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
First aire we stayed on was near le mans.
La suze sur sarthe nice over looking river sarthe short walk into village
That was our first experience as well and we've used it quite a few times. Great position and nice and peaceful.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We always try and get to Chateaudun for the first night. Its a popular place down by the river. There are supermarkets there but nothing near the Aire. Chateaudun is on the way but not if you are using the motorways which we try to avoid. We have also stopped at Nanoncourt on the way back but late last year they had turned all the water off.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Nonancourt is about 300 km from Calais nice steady first day. Short walk to the town centre, full of old half timbered buildings. Good exercise area if you have a dog as well. Check out Tonka's route in the resources section.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Howard h
Nice aire at Place , site code on camper contact 30505
5.50 euro's a night ,water& ehu extra on hard standing
Bit off the motorway but use the D338 towards Beaumont sur Sarthe

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as all ready said load campercontact on your phone below is a screen shot of le mans area to give you an idea of the choice available if you just google camper contact you can search now but the paid for version shows you more i belive
upload_2019-1-16_18-23-45.png

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You shudda told me this a couple of weeks ago, I'd have shown you how the app works, (we had plenty of spare time)! Also a few other apps I have, It's pretty straightforward Howard, tell Yvonne you will both be fine(y)

Have a great time, stay safe, if it don't feel right, move on(y)

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
You shudda told me this a couple of weeks ago, I'd have shown you how the app works, (we had plenty of spare time)! Also a few other apps I have, It's pretty straightforward Howard, tell Yvonne you will both be fine(y)

Have a great time, stay safe, if it don't feel right, move on(y)
We have always stopped on camp sites and to be fair would on this trip but most seem to be shut for the winter so not our first time abroad but first time using aires . I have the apps camper contact search 4 sites and although I have never used them but I guess it’s fairly straight forward so I am not worried but you know what other half’s are like lol :whistle:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Howard,
Perhaps consider one of this company's Aires. They are a commercial company rather than a municipal Aire. The ones I have used are a bit like a mini camp site with EHU , wifi, services, barrier entry etc.
Looking at their map, there is an Aire just north of Le Mans.

Downside is that because they have EHU, they fill up early in the day in the winter.
They are a bit fiddly when you use them for the first time as they issue you with a credit type card at the barrier which you keep and recharge with funds. After that it is easy.
Safe travels, might see you in Spain.

Barry

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks every one a few good suggestions and that’s put the wife’s mind at rest a bit now we have a bit of a plan , I will use the app about mid afternoon and hopefully find somewhere . Thanks again

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Howard,
Perhaps consider one of this company's Aires. They are a commercial company rather than a municipal Aire. The ones I have used are a bit like a mini camp site with EHU , wifi, services, barrier entry etc.
Looking at their map, there is an Aire just north of Le Mans.

Downside is that because they have EHU, they fill up early in the day in the winter.
They are a bit fiddly when you use them for the first time as they issue you with a credit type card at the barrier which you keep and recharge with funds. After that it is easy.
Safe travels, might see you in Spain.

Barry
Thanks Barry I like the look of that one will keep a note of that company they look ideal (y)

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Just a quick question can you just land up at a campingcarpark and pay or do you have to have an account and pre book ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks every one a few good suggestions and that’s put the wife’s mind at rest a bit now we have a bit of a plan , I will use the app about mid afternoon and hopefully find somewhere . Thanks again

That's what we do, stop maybe for a quick cuppa or comfort break, estimate hiow much longer we want to drive and pick a couple out. Just remember in popular places or on popular routes they are likely to fill up early so aim to stop sooner rather than later in case you have to move on.

A tip we've found useful. If you look for an aire a little bit, say 5 - 10km, off route you are quite likely to have a better chance of finding space. We've found a couple of little crackers doing that.

Finally in an emergency you could ask at a local mairie (council office) - they can almost always help you out. One night they said just stay in our car park!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Download CamperContact on your mobile. I have the paid up version which cost £5 a year. Gives you reviews and pic's of the sites.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just a quick question can you just land up at a campingcarpark and pay or do you have to have an account and pre book ?

You just turn up at the barrier and follow the instructions on the payment machine. They are (were) multilingual and are a bit of a fiddle initially as they seem to want a lot of details such as email address etc but worth persevering with.
Bon Voyage.
Barry

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We've used many apps and the Vicarious 'Aires' books, all have their pro & cons. Here are just a few links to websites and apps where appropriate...

http://en.airecampingcar.com
https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/
Link Removed
https://www.campercontact.com/en
https://www.campingcar-infos.com/index.php
http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm
http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueil.htm
https://www.park4night.com/
https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

https://www.vicarious-shop.com

Not all are available in English but Google auto translate works well with most except i-campingcar. Of recent times I have been scouting on Searchforsites as it seems to provide good coverage for the UK as well as Europe.

I've also added my own sites & Aires onto a personal Google Map which provides a good cross reference including personal opinion of the place.

Rod

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back