LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just a quick question can you just land up at a campingcarpark and pay or do you have to have an account and pre book ?
Just turn up and get one of their cards obtainable from the machine at the barrier, costs €4. Then you top the card up via the machine, instructions all in english. Just top up with enough for one night then if you stay longer you top it up before leaving. Just hope you don't get a French van in front of you that hasn't used them before, they haven't got a clue normally takes them 20 - 30 min to get in or give up and drive off.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Right we now have Campercontact app and book ,search for sites app, camping card app and search for sites app. What could possible go wrong lol :LOL: thanks every one .

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Should be sorted now then Howard.

Just need the both of you study this image until it is burned into your retinas so you can spot it easy on your travels.

Barry

Happy travels.

Camping-Car-9 (1).jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As your wife feels the need to be sure of somewhere decent to stop, may I suggest on your first stop, you plan to arrive about 3.30 to 4 p.m. On occasions some of the best places get filled up at busy times and once you have seen the pattern of arrivals for yourselves you will be as wise as the rest of us for subsequent stopovers. Do be aware, as someone else mentioned, these Aires are not generally found on motorways where history indicates that noise, problems and smells are to be found.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
As your wife feels the need to be sure of somewhere decent to stop, may I suggest on your first stop, you plan to arrive about 3.30 to 4 p.m. On occasions some of the best places get filled up at busy times and once you have seen the pattern of arrivals for yourselves you will be as wise as the rest of us for subsequent stopovers. Do be aware, as someone else mentioned, these Aires are not generally found on motorways where history indicates that noise, problems and smells are to be found.
Good advice thanks (y)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The first time we went to France, Mr QFour was interested in staying on the aires. I was very wary and we had a few interesting stops. I remember one where a Romanian van parked next to us. I glanced across at the guys in the cab and one of them had a huge knife. We scarpered! Another time at Honfleur we met a couple who had their brand new electric bikes stolen off the back, whilst they slept.

We now look for somewhere to stop from around 3.30pm and we go for the quiet village aires.

If either of us feels uneasy now about anywhere, we don't stop. There are hundreds of lovely aires to stay, just be choosy.

Mrs QFour

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
The first time we went to France, Mr QFour was interested in staying on the aires. I was very wary and we had a few interesting stops. I remember one where a Romanian van parked next to us. I glanced across at the guys in the cab and one of them had a huge knife. We scarpered! Another time at Honfleur we met a couple who had their brand new electric bikes stolen off the back, whilst they slept.
Your not helping my cause Mrs QFour :LOL: no only joking thanks for the good advice (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I was going to suggest you enlist the knowledge of Terry @FIDGET from the south Island, but I see he has already made suggestions, I would second Chateadun, you'll certainly feel safe there as long as you can manage the Grade up into town.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always worth arriving early on Fridays as a lot of Aires get crammed on Friday but no problem finding space on Saturday. Wierd French thing you expect them to be there for the weekend but most of the vans disappear Sat morning.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Always worth arriving early on Fridays as a lot of Aires get crammed on Friday but no problem finding space on Saturday. Wierd French thing you expect them to be there for the weekend but most of the vans disappear Sat morning.
Arriving Sunday afternoon Lenny , are they generally busy then ?

Dud and Ellie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2015
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach Autograph
Exp
Since 2014
We've stayed at Ballon between Alençon and Le Mans. Nice and quiet - next to a graveyard! Some clips of the aire at the end of this video.....

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Excellent video and great music ,thanks for that (y)

Just watched a few more of your videos they are very good ,I enjoyed them .

Last edited:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Thanks every one a few good suggestions and that’s put the wife’s mind at rest a bit now we have a bit of a plan , I will use the app about mid afternoon and hopefully find somewhere . Thanks again
Just go for it, use the aires system, usually in most towns/ villages, just remember do not use the“aires” on the motorways at any cost, and you will be just fine, you’ll probably bump into some Funsters along the way who will be happy for you to tag along until you feel your feet.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Remember, no fuel on Sunday

There is no problem getting fuel on Sunday or any other day ( or night) throughout s France.
All motorway service stations are open, all supermarkets selling fuel will have 24/24 pumps operated by credit/ debit cards and many have a dedicated machine if there is no attendant where you pay by cash, get a ticket, enter the code in the pump keypad and away you go.
Fuel stations that have a caisse ( attended payment kiosk) will close the caisse only at lunchtime and Sundays ( often just the afternoons, but will probably have the above dedicated payment method) and 24/24 pumps
Lpg ( gpl) will generally only be available when the caisse is open.
France has probably had credit/debit card operated fuel pumps longer than the UK

Boycey

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Settle
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Sincw2014
Someone mentioned Chateaudun, stayed there, ok but prefer one a bit further up road Bonneval, right by side of a lovely moat that seems to go round village. 1 min to village. toilet block opposite usually opened about 8am, you can sit and watch locals play boules opposite

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
France has probably had credit/debit card operated fuel pumps longer than the UK

Just an observation, but for a long time the only credit cards acceptable to many French pumps was their Carte Bleu, Visa/Mastercard were often only useable at the caisse. It's different now of course but we've still had the odd pump refuse our cards in the last year or two.

Always safer IMO to have at least a tankful of euros in reserve.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Someone mentioned Chateaudun, stayed there, ok but prefer one a bit further up road Bonneval, right by side of a lovely moat that seems to go round village. 1 min to village. toilet block opposite usually opened about 8am, you can sit and watch locals play boules opposite

Is that the one just north of Chateaudun? We've spotted it from the road but it's always looked a bit wet. There again it's usually been in January southbound or April northbound.

Boycey

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Settle
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Sincw2014
Hmm we ve used it in January no problems, you have to drive off the main route into the village, lovely old bridge, small boats for hire in season, places to eat in village, Saturday night tends to be boules night for locals by floodlight, so bit of noise till late evening

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
A little bit off thread, I see you’ve been abroad before so I’m sure you know this but I thought I would mention I’ve just found out on this trip that if you pay by credit card or debit card and they ask you if you want to pay in euros or pounds always pay in euros or the currency of the place where you are in, if not it could cost you more.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...073.666691033.1548005990-947952247.1520962535

Best Wishes Tony

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Just a quick question can you just land up at a campingcarpark and pay or do you have to have an account and pre book ?

You can just turn up and register at the machine ,however,it even confuses the French but that’s mainly because they don’t like paying, you can register on line via the website and the Card,Map etc turn up within a matter of days.

As an aside I believe this is the way it’s going to go with Aires this company takes the management of the Aire away from the Marie and all the issues of managing them,they cost yes, but the standard is outstanding.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Just an observation, but for a long time the only credit cards acceptable to many French pumps was their Carte Bleu, Visa/Mastercard were often only useable at the caisse. It's different now of course but we've still had the odd pump refuse our cards in the last year or two.

Always safer IMO to have at least a tankful of euros in reserve.
We started going to France in our VW campers in the late ‘80s and always paid with Visa for fuel, never had a problem paying. Even in the U.K. cards can be refused, whatever type you use, but probably good advice to carry a bit of cash for when the machines don’t want to know.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987

They are so simple to use. Turn up at the aire, ( some will actually show how many spaces there are left) pull up to the barrier and get out. Go to the machine and follow the instructions. They are in different languages, including English. There is also a large board with instructions in English.
Enter your details at the machine, pay the fee and the machine will deliver a pass’étapes card.

Go to the barrier and either put the card on the keyboard reader or enter the number and the barrier will raise. Use the card at the barrier to exit too.

If it all goes t*ts up, there is a phone number you can ring with an English speaking operator who will sort you out.

Jul 30, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
6 years
"can anyone recommend an Aire somewhere between Alencon and Le Mans and not to far from the motorway " The aire at the centre of Le Mans was closed in March last year.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
A little bit off thread, I see you’ve been abroad before so I’m sure you know this but I thought I would mention I’ve just found out on this trip that if you pay by credit card or debit card and they ask you if you want to pay in euros or pounds always pay in euros or the currency of the place where you are in, if not it could cost you more.

Another thing to watch is if you withdrawing local currency from a ATM and it offers you "without conversion" or "with conversion" choose "without conversion" or the atm or local bank will charge their currency conversion rate.

Charlie

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...073.666691033.1548005990-947952247.1520962535

Best Wishes Tony

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Don't know what happened there, my post is the second paragraph.

Charlie

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Tell her not to fret, there are several along the D338.
Use the app to find one that looks like it might suit. If you turn up and don't like it, move to the next one.
Enjoy your trip.
Remember, no fuel on Sunday

There is at the bigger filling stations and s/mkts where there are automatic self serve pumps.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There is at the bigger filling stations and s/mkts where there are automatic se
I try to avoid the automated pumps .
Visited one near Garda, took money but gave no fuel. I suspect it was user error or not translating the instructions correctly.
Happily refunded me following day.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
can anyone recommend an Aire somewhere between Alencon and Le Mans and not to far from the motorway " The aire at the centre of Le Mans was closed in March last year.
If you look at Dud and Ellie post above they have a Video of part of their trip and near the end is an Aire where they stayed at Ballon seems a good place to stop.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
If you look at Dud and Ellie post above they have a Video of part of their trip and near the end is an Aire where they stayed at Ballon seems a good place to stop.
Best Wishes Tony

Thanks Tony ,will have a look (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back