Can we talk about build quality and rattles across different brands? Newby advice please :) (1 Viewer)

Airbag

Free Member
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying now
Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker and now a new member. Really liking the friendly vibe and active nature of this site !

Over the past 3-4 years my wife and I have rented motorhomes on the 6 different occasions - mainly around the Lakes and Scotland. We have had a windfall from an inheritance, so we are keen on getting our own motorhome.

Having tried several different models - some large van conversions and some with low profile coach built bodies, one of our big impressions is that some seem to be a lot more rattly and noisy than others. I remember one of the early homes we hired creaked and groaned like an ill-fitting shed loosely sat on a chassis, while a Hymer we rented last year didn't really rattle much at all. That was a nice van, but not cheap !

My biggest issue is that I have a problem with noise. I work hard to contain loose items in bags and wrapped in towels and stuff, but the thing that really drives me nuts is squeeky cabinets and furniture ! I know people say I should get used to it, but I have tried and I find it really tough. A noisy van really reduces the miles I cover because I find it so exhausting. I go out in motorhomes alone quite often to de-stress and noise bothers me. The contrast between wild camping on the shores of a Loch, compared with the torture of getting there in a badly made van, is something I am having trouble with. I wish I could find it easier but I can't.

Are there brands or designs that squeak and rattle less than others? Which tend to be noisier - van conversions or coachbuilt bodies? I know there are huge numbers of Fiat Ducato based vans available - surely however there must be a variation in the noise factor in how they are made and fitted out? I do not expect luxury car-levels of silence, but some of the vans I have hired make a shocking din. I remember a rather rattly van once that flexed so much I feared the windows would pop out !

One of the most frustrating things about reviews of different vans ( and I have watched hours of them on YouTube now ! ) is that no-one ever actually drives the van and says how it drives and how quiet or noisy it is when on the move. The subject of noise levels seems to not be discussed much, which I find strange as for me it is one of the most important factors in making a purchase decision.

Any insight, advice or wise guidance is very welcome. I am about to pull the trigger and spend some money - but this factor is making my decision process quite scary. I am worried about sinking a lot of money into a vehicle only to know I am going to bitterly disappointed if the thing howls, rattles and squeaks like a barn full of tools in a hurricane.

Thank you all so much ! :).

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As you have already said! We are on our second Hymer and they have both been very quiet especially if. You load up well and use lots of bubble wrap and tea cloths.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Our motorhome is a very good quality build and it doesn't rattle. We have an A Class Laika Ecovip 712.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think the better the quality of van, the better it is put together and likely to be rattle free.
we had an Autosleeper Broadway, bought new in 2013. It didn’t rattle but after a couple of years and a few hundred miles on the worst roads we could find in Southeast France, the overhead cupboards started creaking, especially on corners.
Our latest van, a Burstner, has no rattles squeaks or creaks. Obviously, we have non slip matting in all cupboards and drawers and ensure cups and saucepans don’t touch each other.
18000 miles on and still no rattles.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Having previously owned two Swift coachbuilt motorhomes, my current AutoSleeper conversion is far quieter on the move.

Kai Morrison

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg CaraLoft
Exp
1 year on
I’m on my first motorhome after owning a caravan for many years. I went with some advice I had which said I wouldn’t go far wrong with German build quality. I purchased a Weinsberg CaraSuite 650MF in the end and I must say we don’t suffer from squeaky cupboards and doors etc and don’t even go OTT on packing and padding out the contents of our drawers and cupboards. Hinges and catches feel strong and secure. The only thing that may annoy me from time to time would be the Remis blinds, in particular the drivers side door blind which makes some noises....plenty of ideas on here about fixing this issue so will look into that when I have some time. Good luck with your purchase!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The vans we have owned/nearly owned rated for squeakyness:

1 (squeakiest). Ellis Compass. Horrific, so noisy you couldn’t hear yourself think and it was pointless having a radio. Noises, bangs rattles from everywhere. Cancelled the order after test drive.

Joint 2. Chausson 717 and 718. Plenty of lesser squeaks and rattles, and a weird loud “boing!” Every so often from the over cab bed which no one could trace. Lots of noise from the dashboards (Ford) on both.

Close 3rd. Bailey 625 and Bailey 745. Not quiet at all but the noises seemed to be in a less annoying part of the audible spectrum. Mdf and chipboard possibly absorbs high notes?

4th. Current Hymer 668. Lovely and quiet in general but odd engine noises sometimes which are being looked at by Fiat Commercial again next week after originally telling us they were “characteristics of the 180 engine”. Annoying squeaks on Remis cab blinds.

Carthago 148. Bliss. No noise at all. Smooth everything, why can’t they all be like this?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We were caravaners and, when we decided to get a motorhome, braced ourselves for higher background noise levels when travelling. This has proved to be so but, not to the levels we were expecting. As learned folk here have already said; careful packing and attention to detail help a lot. As does a tin of silicone spray for any squeaks between fitted units.

If you poke around the site I am sure you will find nearly every make/model receiving both positive and negative comments. One of the worst experiences we had was with a Hymer caravan bought new. It is the luck of the draw to a certain extent. They are assembled by human beings.

First thing we did in the MH was lined all of the surfaces with anti-slip matting. Then we put pads on the doors and drawers to prevent bouncing. Then we tied up the shower hose. My next task is to put some compartments in the garage to hold pots, pans and cutlery for when we are doing a fair distance.

Thanks to MHF members for posts and comments!

Still a bit noisier? Yes.

Would we go back to a caravan? No.

Good luck and safe travels.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our Murvi has no rattles or squeaks. We did find mice visited the engine compartment one winter and pinched some of the insulation on the bulkhead but they were very quiet about it. We do have to take steps to keep plates and saucepans silent but that's very common.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Having previously owned two Swift coachbuilt motorhomes, my current AutoSleeper conversion is far quieter on the move.
My Autosleeper is a 2002 and it's very very quiet..BUSBY.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The vans we have owned/nearly owned rated for squeakyness:

1 (squeakiest). Ellis Compass. Horrific, so noisy you couldn’t hear yourself think and it was pointless having a radio. Noises, bangs rattles from everywhere.

Joint 2. Chausson 717 and 718. Plenty of lesser squeaks and rattles, and a weird loud “boing!” Every so often from the over cab bed which no one could trace. Lots of noise from the dashboards (Ford) on both.

Close 3rd. Bailey 625 and Bailey 745. Not quiet at all but the noises seemed to be in a less annoying part of the audible spectrum. Mdf and chipboard possibly absorbs high notes?

4th. Current Hymer 668. Lovely and quiet in general but odd engine noises sometimes which are being looked at by Fiat Commercial again next week after originally telling us they were “characteristics of the 180 engine”. Annoying squeaks on Remis cab blinds.

Carthago 148. Bliss. No noise at all. Smooth everything, why can’t they all be like this?

Your order is the same as original purchase price!
The more the van cost originally the less the squeeks!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Your order is the same as original purchase price!
The more the van cost originally the less the squeeks!
Your not far off!! The Hymer was about the same as the Carthago but it has more extras so you could be spot on. It’s obvious looking at the construction of the vans that some (more expensive?) manufacturers go to a lot more trouble to stop noises than others. Bailey = stapled together pieces of raw edged chipboard, Carthago = jointed pieces of lightweight timber with rubber inserts at the joints to prevent vibration.

OP
OP
A

Airbag

Free Member
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying now
Thank you so much for the responses. I am learning a lot. You guys are great. As for my tolerance of noises, best assume I am a toward the extremes of the OCD level in terms of being able to cope with the shake, rattle and roll.

I am wondering if a van may be more structurally rigid and squeak free than a coach built ? But then I gather there is a big variation in how those big GRP structures are made by different companies. Mmmm....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
On our 3rd Hymer all been fairly quiet, current one we get a bit of a rattle from the drop down bed on rough roads, never bothered me enough to get around to sorting it.
A Class vans tend to be a lot quieter less road & engine noise.

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
I know a guy who has an obsession with trying to get his hi-fi to sound just like a real concert hall. To date, I think he's spent upwards of £20,000 on his music set up and he continues to be frustrated by the fact that it's not perfect ( sounds amazing to me)! I'm not sure that he actually likes music that much - I think he just loves hi-fi equipment. My point is that if you have a genuine obsession with achieving near silence in a motorhome Airbag then you might be in for a lot of frustration as it's not really achievable 100% and that frustration might take away your ultimate enjoyment of owning such a vehicle. I have one very noisy car ( TVR - but it's a great noise!) and a very quiet car ( Merc) and the motorhome is somewhere between the two. That said none of the cupboards etc rattle ( which is pretty good for a 2004 build vehicle - Rapido) it's just all the pans etc and that's because we just chuck 'em in the cupboards because we can't be bothered with trying to stop the rattles and it really doesn't bother us anyway. Good luck with your quest for quietness though:giggle:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I know what you mean.

We hired a 2018 Elddis Accordo which was shake, rattle and squeak. Nice layout but dreadful build quality. Interior panels seemed to be made of chipboard or plastic. It was a bit like film-set fake furniture.

Our Rapido, on the other hand, is 10 years old and is super-quiet on the move, by comparison. The difference is solid wood, properly jointed and carefully put together.

C‘est comme de la craie et du fromage.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would say that the bigger ones rattle more just because of their size. We have had 2 van conversions with no rattles, the first was quietest of the two as it was fully carpeted all around inside, up walls and over the ceiling. Then it had curtains. Lots of soft furnishings help soak up the noise. There were only 2 cupboards and a non rattly sliding door that was tied back across the rear washroom. 2002 vintage. Older may be better than newer.
Always get a test drive of the actual one you are interested in.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect even the same model will have some quieter than others you need to buy secondhand and test drive over some rough surfaces

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our first van (British built bessecarr) was very rattly and noisy.

Our current van (German built N&B) has no rattles,

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We a Chausson Fiat based 4.4 tonnes which has the heavy chassis the electric roof bed rattle's any body got a cure for this apart from selling the so & so please ?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our Murvi has no rattles or squeaks. We did find mice visited the engine compartment one winter and pinched some of the insulation on the bulkhead but they were very quiet about it. We do have to take steps to keep plates and saucepans silent but that's very common.

Yes our 2005 Murvi was very quiet and rattle free

Reactions: DBK

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the above point correlating the squeakiness to the price is very valid on the whole, but I would also say british built vans and budget continental vans are the worst

creaking, groaning, squeaking and rattling, I had more than enough of that with my work vans

Most of the noise is down to poor quality fittings and really poor assembly of furniture, which is amplified with vibration caused by over inflated tyres. Anything can be improved on to an extent, but better to start with a better quality van. If on a budget, go for an older quality van

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We a Chausson Fiat based 4.4 tonnes which has the heavy chassis the electric roof bed rattle's any body got a cure for this apart from selling the so & so please ?
put extra duvets on the bed and park it tight up to the roof. If chausson don't fit extra retaining straps, fit these and keep the tight. most of the noise is the mechanism though, so pushing a rolled up towel up the sides also helps, but remove them before lowering the bed

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
My 2003 Murvi was very quiet. Then I bought a Pilote A class which was terribly noisy. My current van is a Hymer B654 from 2005 and she is pretty quiet, except the over cab bed squeaks when driving.

Make sure you have a test drive.
Karen

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Simple cure. Adjust the 4 allen bolts (screws??) two each side where the bed is fastened to the aluminium track. Bit fiddly but a 5 minute job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back