Can we talk about build quality and rattles across different brands? Newby advice please :) (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Our first van was an autosleeper PVC, and the cupboards rattled like mad, the handles having to be packed out, along with the oven and hob.
Our next was a dethleffs a trend a class which didn't rattle, but was generally noisy.
Our current le voyageur is very good, with a padded lining inside to insulate and soften the nouse, no rattles at all and generally relaxing.

Reactions: f6c
May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Also check the curved covers concealing the bed roller mechanism on the side walls. These are a push fit into a metal track and rattle on the move. Remove and put a strip of EDPM foam tape along the bottom edge, then refit and enjoy the silence!

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
over the years i have found the most noise comes from cookers, fires, tambour doors and shower doors...once those annoying rattles have been dealt with the van becomes quite quiet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
It is actually a very good subject to discuss. A couple of points as others have mentioned. How you pack makes a big differencebut also a lot of newer MoHo`s are being manufactured with rather than 2 or 3 shorter high line cupboards but 1 long 1. I have never driven 1 but I would think the longer cupboards would inheritently be a bit more rattley.
The only thing about asking opinions is, anyone who has hired a van they will be unbiasedly critical or positive about it, which is good. Otherwise, human nature being what it is I dont think you will get fully honest replies from some people having paid £50K and more slateing their nice new shiny van for being a bag of rattles.
On the other hand some people who have had a few vans can make comparissons but again I am sure it will be their latest van which is best of all.
Just my view.
My first Bailey Autograph Approach 750 took a bit more prep than my current Approach Advance 640 so I am putting myself in the same category as I have mentioned. But that is an honest opinion based on my 2 vans. But I have test driven a few also.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
RS Endeavour- British quality, no noises, rattles or squeaks.. it’s all down to how well they are screwed togther, the emphasis on properly screwed and not pinned everywhere.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
over the years i have found the most noise comes from cookers, fires, tambour doors and shower doors...once those annoying rattles have been dealt with the van becomes quite quiet
Most of the noise when I’m driving our van originates from the passenger seat!!!??

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Sadly, you cant make rattle and squeak proof campers , and still expect to have a payload.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
RS Endeavour- British quality, no noises, rattles or squeaks.. it’s all down to how well they are screwed togther, the emphasis on properly screwed and not pinned everywhere.
What is the actual payload of an RS at 7.5 tonnes ?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
If noise is such a problem, a nice quiet car and a hotel might be the best bet.
Or a nice car and a quality caravan , best of both worlds transport of site and no noise and rattles when your on the move

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As you have already said! We are on our second Hymer and they have both been very quiet especially if. You load up well and use lots of bubble wrap and tea cloths.
Our Hymer (PVC) is quiet no rattles etc placed non slip mat on all the shelving and draws helps and make sure the china cups are not touching and all is quiet.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
German quality you can't beat it :cool: our quality British built T5 Camper was noisy :oops:, you are right it is about the build one thing I have noticed is that the quieter vans use NVH techniques such as foam between touch points (stops squeaks) once the do that fixtures and fittings tend not rattle

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After having RVs we are now on our second Hymer, we never wrap or pack anything other than using non slip on shelves and it never rattles .

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
My Hymer is pretty quiet, I think we have to accept they're never going to have the quiet ride of a car of the same price. Interestingly a friend of mine replaced his Hymer with a Carthago, then went back to Hymer because he said the Carthago rattled too much. Perhaps a Friday afternoon build.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My 2003 Murvi was very quiet. Then I bought a Pilote A class which was terribly noisy. My current van is a Hymer B654 from 2005 and she is pretty quiet, except the over cab bed squeaks when driving.

Make sure you have a test drive.
Karen
Have you tried some silicone spray on the joints of the drop down bed?

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
If you are buying new you may find a world of difference from the hired vehicles. We have hired twice in NewZealand and while the Burstner Ixeo was well designed and easy to drive the squeaks from the cupboard behind driver’s head drove me mad; then the fridge came loose so we had to seek assistance. They screwed the fridge back in position but couldn’t do anything about the cupboard. Hired vehicles get hammered and probably don’t provide a good test. Nevertheless the Burstner was an impressive motorhome.

Mr Beaumont

Free Member
Feb 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The base vehicle has a lot to do with it too. The older ducato is less refined and more commercial oriented whereas the new one seems better. The bad roads here in the UK certainly don't help.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The best Motorhomes having had 11 ??for lack of noises are the Winnebago and surprisingly the cheap 2014 Rimor we had for a while, worst would have to be a brand new 2011 swift kontiki thing and the 2018 HYMER pig we were unfortunate enough to own ⚠️
You will never get an unbiased opinion as people’s expectations are so different and many owners have a strange need to worship their chosen brands even when they know of certain faults ??
I can’t see any good in either Swift or HYMER now as I am just looking for faults but neither manufacturer makes that hard ?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
What is the actual payload of an RS at 7.5 tonnes ?

Mine is plated at 6.5T (plus the working headroom discretionary % ?) but it has a 5T rear axle and 2.2T front. It’s on air already, so a simple excercise (one would imagine) to gain another 0.7T payload. It’s already got around a fairly hefty 1.5T payload...

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The best Motorhomes having had 11 ??for lack of noises are the Winnebago and surprisingly the cheap 2014 Rimor we had for a while, worst would have to be a brand new 2011 swift kontiki thing and the 2018 HYMER pig we were unfortunate enough to own ⚠
You will never get an unbiased opinion as people’s expectations are so different and many owners have a strange need to worship their chosen brands even when they know of certain faults ??
I can’t see any good in either Swift or HYMER now as I am just looking for faults but neither manufacturer makes that hard ?
Blasphemy I say...how can you smite the mighty Hymer :( there are just so many happy owners although one or two disappointed ones but they don’t count ?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
2006 Rapido. Coachbuilt. Cutlery rattles but that’s only because my domestic staff haven’t wrapped it properly,same with the occasional saucepan lid.
Cupboards,drawers and doors don’t rattle.
Engine a bit noisy but it’s reliable and pulls well,modern engines are probably quieter.

Have you tried earplugs?:giggle:;)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Last year i took my rapido to dealer to sork out terrifying engine squeak. Mechanic took for test drive. (Pully squeak drive it more often). What about all these other noises? Him "this is one of the more quiet ones, pad out the oven racks".
Beauty is in eye of beholder, noise in ear of one with ocd.
By the way he was totaly correct.

Sep 13, 2018
Ludlow, UK
Funster No
MH
elddis 105 2015
Exp
before this it was in the 90 s
Whatever van you think about buying, new or second hand, you will be having a test drive
before the final decision is made to buy - I trust!!

If it is a new van it should not creak or squeak at all, it will only get worse with time if it does
A second hand van should also not make noisy noises, but if they do they will continue to do so

Personally I would go for a van that has done just a few miles, say 3-7 thousand so that all the gremlins have almost certainly been sorted out by the original owner

More money never guarantees the faultless van noises or otherwise

Good luck looking and have a whirl :cool:

Richard

OP
OP
A

Airbag

Free Member
Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying now
Thanks everyone. I am leaning toward a van rather than a coach build, if only because I think I went something that can go where a regular van would go ( i.e anywhere ) and not be too put off by single track lanes.

I am lucky to have a good budget but the sheer volume of choice is giddying. Thanks to this thread I have learned that good quality carpentry with measures taken against squeaks and rattles is possible.

I hope I don't get "paralysis through analysis". Given the state of the world and how many motorhome dealers there are ( seemingly with stock ) I think I can take advantage of the situation.

Isle of Skye, Torridon, and a few lochs beckon. I may even try some wild camping and bag a Munro if my dodgy knee is up to it :)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
The best Motorhomes having had 11 ??for lack of noises are the Winnebago and surprisingly the cheap 2014 Rimor we had for a while, worst would have to be a brand new 2011 swift kontiki thing and the 2018 HYMER pig we were unfortunate enough to own ⚠
At last an honest quote well said, we have had caravans , Motorhomes ,and I spent 44 years in the motor trade and early mass produced British card were not of the best build quality, I love motorhoming but do wish build quality was as good as the now Motor Industry which it is not, after testing vehicles for 30 years I reckon I could find faults on any motorhome .

Reactions: f6c
Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
I agree with Basidogs comments, listen to all the good advice on here and beware the badge snobs (Usually German van owners on here).You pays your money and live with the choice

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Each person has different tolerence levels to different sounds, and certain preferences also count. For example, if you absolutly love your latest van (for other reasons) you will ignore the odd noise or squeak. If you hate it, you can blame or not tolerate the odd noises. In view of the various loose items, knives, forks, door catches etc, it us unrealistic to expect a totally quiet ride. It is up to the person's tolerance as what is acceptable. Manufacturing techniques also count, and sure this is important, but there are so many variables in a moving (heavy) object over dubious or varying road surfaces, each built with light weight in mind. I'm not sure I could take someone else's opinion on this.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I know a bloke who had a chausson coachbuilt which he loved , decided to swap it for a newer PVC . The new to him PVC had been “quietened “ by the previous owner with loads of padding , noise deadening etc but he didn’t like it so took it all out ! Still loves the van and uses it fairly regularly, must like rattles ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back