Can we talk about build quality and rattles across different brands? Newby advice please :) (1 Viewer)

Mar 18, 2020
Penrith Cumbria
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent
Exp
Since 2000
Sixteen years ago when we bought our A class Hymer I was so disappointed with all the noise that on our first trip with it on the continent I intended to go to the Hymer factory to complain. However as soon as I got onto those smooth continental roads there was only the hum from the tyres. It's been the same every year since with the conversion noise starting at Dover. Our roads are dreadful, even Belgium is now far superior, until our roads are improved we will always suffer the crashes and bang's.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
We have had 4 or5 German built A class vans and they have all been well built with good equipment in them. The only rattles were from pots & pans in the cupboard. We have now downsized to a British built van conversion (big, well known brand) and all I can say is “what a mistaka to maka”.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think my Fleetwood Jamboree was about the quietest because of the size and the petrol engine. It didn’t rattle or anything as I remember

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Carado T337 very quiet but bouncy ride, Hobby 65 again very quiet but panel on electrics kept falling off ( cured by piano hinge) Current van Pilote A class super quiet, its sat on the drive for 3 weeks going nowhere after picking up from deanship at the beginning of March!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Sixteen years ago when we bought our A class Hymer I was so disappointed with all the noise that on our first trip with it on the continent I intended to go to the Hymer factory to complain. However as soon as I got onto those smooth continental roads there was only the hum from the tyres. It's been the same every year since with the conversion noise starting at Dover. Our roads are dreadful, even Belgium is now far superior, until our roads are improved we will always suffer the crashes and bang's.
I wonder how the density or concentration of traffic on our roads compares to other countries.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Mine seems quietest when I take it for a service.
Could be because many of the items are removed from cupboards
but I think it's because the autopilot does not come with me.

Reactions: DJT
Mar 18, 2020
Penrith Cumbria
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent
Exp
Since 2000
There is no doubt the volume of traffic dictates your driving style, I can comfortably cruise about 55 mph on the continent but have to speed up in the south of the UK, it's much better in the far north. The noise level increases with the speed.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There is no doubt the volume of traffic dictates your driving style, I can comfortably cruise about 55 mph on the continent but have to speed up in the south of the UK, it's much better in the far north. The noise level increases with the speed.
I was also thinking of weight of traffic on single carriage way roads like around here. It must cause the road to break up when you see the ruts in the roads as traffic is all running on the same bit of road.

Oct 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner City Car.
Exp
35 years
I hate rattles with a vengeance .......... it drives me nuts! We had a Chausson coachbuilt recently with a great layout but compared with a previous Adria coachbuilt it was impossible to damp down the rattles (believe me I tried!). For downsizing reason we bought a new Burstner pvc last autumn and what a revelation ......... so quiet! I suspect it’s the pvc bit that is the cause rather than the ‘German’ bit but I’m so glad we made the switch.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Both our Elddis and Swifts were abysmal with rattles from furniture both on Ducato chassis now on Mercedes much quieter Engine and European Furniture better made

Deleted User
Tyre pressures can affect the ride, it's worth checking they are correct.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
our previous van was a Bailey and it rattled like a builders van , we did our best packing everything securely and lowered the tyre pressures but it still squeaked and creaked . Our present Pilote which was new in March 19 is not 100% rattle free but is still streets ahead compared to the Bailey

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Both our Elddis and Swifts were abysmal with rattles from furniture both on Ducato chassis now on Mercedes much quieter Engine and European Furniture better made
Isn't the Mercedes a lot softer ride? If so that should help the rattles and vibrations?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back