LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
mine in being done now, inc water pump, at the fiat professional garage, not cheap, but when I come to sell it should help prove Ive looked after it as best as I can

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
One evening, years ago, the engine cut out on my Ford Sierra as I slowed down and changed gear to turn into my drive. I maintained momentum enough to park up in the usual place. I called the RAC and they came and diagnosed a broken cam belt. They agreed they would take the car to our local Ford agent, and leave it on their forecourt.

The next morning, I phoned the garage to explain why there was an abandoned car on their premises. Their reply - "That's fine, we have replaced the cam belt and it's ready for collection!"

I was amazed, but grateful, and got a lift over to pick it up.

I later passed the car to my son, and about 5 years later the belt failed as he was accelerating hard. A couple of valves were bent, so it cost him a bit more to get it fixed.

Aug 30, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato lagan
It’s not cheap this motorhoming business is it ? :(
I bought our van on the strength that the belt had just been changed...it became noisy and found that they hadn't replaced the tensioners. It wasn't a requirement at the time but now they change the lot , including water pump. I'm a bit suspicious as it used to be an infrequent service requirement. I was lucky my belt was loose but hadn't slipped, its another factor in the running costs. It's a replacement engine 3k upwards second hand or 5k reconditioned if it breaks .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2010
Southwell, Notts
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
This thread on cam belts is very unsettling, so I phoned my garage about my 2010 Rapido, Fiat Ducato, 3 litre diesel, and they told me mine was a chain and should last the life of the vehicle. Does anyone know differently?

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Hi Riverbankannie, I didn't get it changed in my car, the belt broke and wrecked the engine, car was a write off. I've had it changed in both my Motorhomes at 5 years, just not worth the risk considering your van is worth upwards of 50K and a cambelt change is approx £600

Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Funster thoughts please :)
Hello. I have a Ducato that is 5 years old in March with 3455 miles covered . I have already booked it in for the cambelt change. Please forgive me if this sounds a little harsh, but I had my own small haulage firm up to retiring, and always used the same saying when it comes to maintenance. "Grease is cheaper than steel" and that goes for man-made material as well " What I can say to you is, if it wasn't changed and the result was catastrophic would you now say I wish I had changed it and not listened to anyone else. I do not know the cost yet, the garage will let me know when he has got all the prices in, but it more than likely cheaper than a new engine.
hope it helps you to decide. Good luck, and regards, Trevor.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
This thread on cam belts is very unsettling, so I phoned my garage about my 2010 Rapido, Fiat Ducato, 3 litre diesel, and they told me mine was a chain and should last the life of the vehicle. Does anyone know differently?
I've been told the same thing so next car I bought had a chain! 😁

Oct 13, 2021
Wareham, UK
Funster No
MH
weinsberg 650
Exp
since 2000
I changed mine on previous MH, motorhomes don't do the mileage but suffer from ageing (just like tyres). See what I wrote previously. The belt was OK to look at but look at the tensioner.
This fell apart on removal so the bang would be the tensioner failing, not the belt !!
View attachment 344154

View attachment 344159

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hello. I have a Ducato that is 5 years old in March with 3455 miles covered . I have already booked it in for the cambelt change. Please forgive me if this sounds a little harsh, but I had my own small haulage firm up to retiring, and always used the same saying when it comes to maintenance. "Grease is cheaper than steel" and that goes for man-made material as well " What I can say to you is, if it wasn't changed and the result was catastrophic would you now say I wish I had changed it and not listened to anyone else. I do not know the cost yet, the garage will let me know when he has got all the prices in, but it more than likely cheaper than a new engine.
hope it helps you to decide. Good luck, and regards, Trevor.
That’s very nice of you to reply Trevor. I wrote that in November 2019 and indeed, the following year did have it changed at an independent garage with Gates parts.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Riverbankannie, I didn't get it changed in my car, the belt broke and wrecked the engine, car was a write off. I've had it changed in both my Motorhomes at 5 years, just not worth the risk considering your van is worth upwards of 50K and a cambelt change is approx £600
Thanks Ginster, I got it changed at 5 years which was in Nov 2020. I wrote the original post in 2019. 🙂

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

My 2011 3.0ltr fiat ducato is chain driven…😎

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
The 2.2 150 engine(known as the Puma I believe) is also chain driven and manufactured by Ford. However, it is the chain and the guides that can wear prematurely so ensure oil changes are frequent (I have it serviced every year). Also, it has a Diesel Particulate Filter and a Dual Mass Flywheel. More reasons to change the oil frequently. All these"improvements/developments are a wallet emptying incentive to proper servicing!!

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I was likewise advised. I can;t remember the quote but it was several £££ hundreds.

I doubt that it really needed and is more about making money. I guess it's how lucky do you feel?

Sold the van for a new one and cancelled the belt change!!
That is bad advise, :devil:belts deteriorate both with mileage covered and age,
and a snapped belt, (
which normally happens when the engine is idling slowly
not spinning quickly as there is more of a jerking load
on the belt at low engine speed due to forces in turning the camshaft)
can destroy an engine, bent valves at best, cracked cylinder head,
or damaged cylinder bore or piston at worst.
I

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Funster thoughts please :)
get it changed ,
as you do not want to even think
of the cost of the damage
a snapped belt can cause

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
This is a real problem. Does it need changing at 5 years or is it a money making exercise?
However I won't risk it.....
dependant on the make of the base vehicle
the manufacturers recommend normally
a mileage or age limit, as to when a change of belt should be carried out
check in your vehicle service book or check with a MAIN DEALER

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
That's the other thing. I was told I needed to change the tensioner and the water pump too.
That is correct as the belt runs on all
three and they have bearings , so a good garage
to give a warranty want to change all the items
mentioned, as a kit

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I can't be bothered to go out and look under the bonnet but does anyone know if the X244 (03) 2.8 JTD (Ducato) is belt or chain.. It's something I should do when I service it over winter as I don't know it's history despite the fact it's onl;y done 24K, she's 15 years old....
Judging by the tyres that were on it were well past their sell by date, I doubt the previous owners were the "regular maintenance" type. :rolleyes:
If you don't know the service history
play safe and have the belt replaced

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Back to the op question , cambelt change at 5 years old.
My question is when does 5 years start?
Mh registered in 2018 rapido 2017 model out of fiat factory 2016.
Not even looked at tyre date.
normally from date of registration
as that is the beginning of use

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
Don't know about "warranty" on FIAT parts but perhaps Suttons could advise on this. Would FIAT give a contribution if there was to be a catastrophic failure within a set period of time?
As an aside I believe Gates belts and Graf water pumps are well respected.
Think the "excess" costs will be you'll be paying "main dealer" hourly labour rates as opposed to "independent" rates.
Both your remarks are correct
Gates cambelt kits are well respected in the trade
and main dealer hourly rates are in excess of
competent private commercial repairers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back