Cambelt change at 5 years (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Mine is due next May at 5 yrs and I will be changing the water pump at the same time. Yes it’s bloody expensive at a Fiat Pro garage £700 ish but if it goes t*ts up after a few miles down the road at least i hope I have some come back.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Every mechanic i know has differing opinions but Mileage really should not be relied on an indicator as the belt/tensioners deteriorate over time. In fact you could argue a low mileage is worse as the rubber hardens when not used... also tensioners usually weaken causing the belt split so as everyone has said, change it at 5 years if manufacturer says so and change it all, Inc water pump... not worth the risk not doing it...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I changed ours a Four year anniversary as have always towed a car and trailer so took it to be heavy work and don’t want the hassle of a breakdown towing😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
My late father in law had a peugot car that did not exceed the mileage for the cam belt change, as at that time no date was included for the time to change the belt.
So as he worked for the company he had confidence in their cars, but lo and behold the belt broke ruining the engine he complained to the management to no effect. They subsequently added a time to change the belts.
Why can we not go back to chains!!!!!

Jun 7, 2017
North notts
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca656
Exp
5 years
That's the other thing. I was told I needed to change the tensioner and the water pump too.
The water pump and tensioner are easy to renew whilst the cam belt is off, so for the small extra cost it's best to do them together rather than fork out twice.
My engineering pal who builds engines says snapped cambelts pay his mortgage with the work it brings him!

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Mine is due next May at 5 yrs and I will be changing the water pump at the same time. Yes it’s bloody expensive at a Fiat Pro garage £700 ish but if it goes t*ts up after a few miles down the road at least i hope I have some come back.
Today Ive been quoted £30 shy of £1000 for the cambelt (no waterpump) at Fiat Professional Northampton.

quoted

Just been

I've

Dec 5, 2010
Wadhurst, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
IH Van Conversion
Exp
17 years
Had cambelt changed at 5 years on recommendation of Fiat Main Dealer (truck) in July. On October 8th and 1300 miles later the new (genuine Fiat) cambelt failed in Rochefort southern France. We had an, up to 10,000 Euros quote from the Renault dealer we were taken to via a translator at Fiat Italy.
We told AA Europe breakdown we wanted it taken back to the UK garage as this is Warranty. They begrudgingly agreed in the end and it took them 9 weeks to get it home (the day before Christmas Eve). We tried a private quote to fetch it home in a week…£3500.
The cambelt was changed under warranty.
Was it worth changing something that was working perfectly well….your decision!!

Apr 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey autograph 540
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Funster thoughts please :)
Hi
After being a caravanner for years, I only got my first MoHo last year. However, I've been a service manager in main dealer motor industry for 30 years. yes it is expensive as quite labour intensive, but belt failure causes catastrophic engine damage.The belt does perish with time, nothing to do with standing idle. Also, if the belt drives the water pump, get that changed at the same time. Most respectable garages will recommend that anyway.
Ask for a deal. Most franchise dealers, like mine have what is called a 'fixed price' on jobs like these. they are often cheaper than back street garages and the guarantee is usually Europe wide. Don't be afraid to barter. It is considered good work and I would be happy to have my workshop full of cambelt changes.
Hope this helps?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I can't be bothered to go out and look under the bonnet but does anyone know if the X244 (03) 2.8 JTD (Ducato) is belt or chain.. It's something I should do when I service it over winter as I don't know it's history despite the fact it's onl;y done 24K, she's 15 years old....
Judging by the tyres that were on it were well past their sell by date, I doubt the previous owners were the "regular maintenance" type. :rolleyes:
Belt

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
After being a caravanner for years, I only got my first MoHo last year. However, I've been a service manager in main dealer motor industry for 30 years. yes it is expensive as quite labour intensive, but belt failure causes catastrophic engine damage.The belt does perish with time, nothing to do with standing idle. Also, if the belt drives the water pump, get that changed at the same time. Most respectable garages will recommend that anyway.
Ask for a deal. Most franchise dealers, like mine have what is called a 'fixed price' on jobs like these. they are often cheaper than back street garages and the guarantee is usually Europe wide. Don't be afraid to barter. It is considered good work and I would be happy to have my workshop full of cambelt changes.
Hope this helps?
Thank you for your reply but after the initial replies (in 2019 !) I did have all changed at the 5 year point in 2020.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Change it don’t risk it, not changing the cam belt will make you cry.

Changing it is a necessity it’s not a milage thing but a time one. One car I have has done about 300 miles in 4 years the cam belt is due this year and will change it a new engine is around £11k

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You will if the belt snapped having had it changed

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Changing it is a necessity it’s not a milage thing but a time one. One car I have has done about 300 miles in 4 years the cam belt is due this year and will change it a new engine is around £11k
The advice you give which is good advice but only 3 years out of date 🤭

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Thank you for your advice. It matches all posts I had back in 2019 when I asked the question. You will be pleased to know that I had it all changed in Nov 2020 at the 5 year point. 🙂

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
Apparently, the one on my 2016, 15k, Peugeot Boxer is metal. At the last service 2022, I asked about a cam belt change and was told in simple terms.....leave it alone!!!!!, don't even think about changing it!!!!

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Nor easy on th x290 so only change if high mileage. If it ain't broke leave it alone.
If your changing a Cam belt on a x290, then it is easy to change the pump too at the same time, then you only drop engine once, also saves on labour of doing it all over again, compared to the price of the motorhome, don't risk it, do it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
correct, but the engine has been run very little
before it is registered for the first time,
thereafter every 5years or mileage as manufacturers scheduled change
When I registered my 2019 van it was already over a year old - so should I change it after four years now?

Why can we not go back to chains!!!!!
My Eco tech Ford engine has a timing belt running in oil!!! :Eeek:
Its recommended to be changed at 150K miles - or ten years:clap2:
I'ts at eight years and 27K miles - what to do?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back