LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I do indeed and booked in......but quote is £900 to include water pump, plus servicing charge plus MOT !
Need to stick with recommended garage that we used last year as I don’t know any other I can rely on.
No longer a trade member on here but Dave Newell charged us £300 and something for the cambelt and associated tensioners, water pump, etc last year. We travelled from Glasgow to get it done and stayed on a site across the road from his workshop. Servicing and MOT would, obviously, be extra but doubt it would be £500+.
Might be worth thinking about?

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The Dotties, just searched back and found your post about G and M Motors on Old Gloucester Airfield.
I might give them a ring tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No longer a trade member on here but Dave Newell charged us £300 and something for the cambelt and associated tensioners, water pump, etc last year. We travelled from Glasgow to get it done and stayed on a site across the road from his workshop. Servicing and MOT would, obviously, be extra but doubt it would be £500+.
Might be worth thinking about?
Huttons said might need it overnight as it takes so long? That would be tricky if in Telford. Good shout if they were a bit nearer.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I do indeed and booked in......but quote is £900 to include water pump, plus servicing charge plus MOT !
Need to stick with recommended garage that we used last year as I don’t know any other I can rely on.

Sounds a bit steep if that’s not a full service and at an Indy garage.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My little ol Kia Rio toad has a timing chain (y) ..........

But five years up in February 2021 for my Hymer Fiat 150 with less than 10k on the clock:RollEyes:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Huttons said might need it overnight as it takes so long? That would be tricky if in Telford. Good shout if they were a bit nearer.
Depending on what you're getting done guess it could be a full day job.:unsure:
Are Huttons a FIAT dealer as, from memory, our local FIAT place quoted us around double what Dave charged. So, if you add on servicing and MOT it could come to around the number mentioned by yourself.:unsure:
We took our motorhome into Dave around 09:00. Jackie gave us complimentary day passes for the local Victorian village (walking distance) and we collected around 14:00.
We then set off to tour around Wales for a few weeks.
Understand it's a bit of a hike for you as well but as we built it into a trip was worth our while.
Any other Funsters recommend an alternative option closer to yourself to give a comparison to Huttons?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
The price seems to be in the right ball park for the work involved especially as changing water pump and service etc.
Ssshkoda dealer (phonetic spellng) charge just short of £500 for cambelt change alone inc labour, service depending on full or minor £200+.
also if done local any probs easy to take back.

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
I have been watching this post with interest as I am wondering if I have been misinformed/misled by a local garage where I get my 2009 Fiat Multijet 130 2.3 serviced and MOT'd each year. This year they asked me if I had my Cam Belt changed due to its age and this triggered some concerns straight away.
Three years ago I asked them to change the Cam Belt and water pump, they gave me a quote and I told them to go ahead. When I picked up the vehicle, I was informed by their mechanic that it wasn't necessary for the Cam belt to be changed, as in his experience and on this particular model, there was no need to change the belt until it had completed 50,000 MILES and mine had done just over 14,000. I took his advice and of course they only charged me for the water pump, service and MOT.
After reading various discussions on this Forum and others on this matter it seems that I need to look elsewhere for my servicing and MOT needs, Can anyone recommend a Garage or Mobile Mechanic for the Coventry/Warwickshire area

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
BASA47
If they changed the water pump why would they not have changed the cambelt and tensioners as well? The costs of the parts is minimal in comparison to the labour involved.
You could be right in seeking an alternative garage. (y)

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Are Huttons a FIAT dealer as, from memory, our local FIAT place quoted us around double what Dave charged. So, if you add on servicing and MOT it could come to around the number mentioned by yourself.:unsure:
The servicing and MOT are on top of the £900 for the cambelt and water pump. Will be over £1100 they said.
Yes it is a FIAT garage and I would assume using FIAT parts. Whether that gives any sort of warranty if those parts fail would be an interesting point.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The servicing and MOT are on top of the £900 for the cambelt and water pump. Will be over £1100 they said.
Yes it is a FIAT garage and I would assume using FIAT parts. Whether that gives any sort of warranty if those parts fail would be an interesting point.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
Don't know about "warranty" on FIAT parts but perhaps Suttons could advise on this. Would FIAT give a contribution if there was to be a catastrophic failure within a set period of time?
As an aside I believe Gates belts and Graf water pumps are well respected.
Think the "excess" costs will be you'll be paying "main dealer" hourly labour rates as opposed to "independent" rates.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
BASA47
If they changed the water pump why would they not have changed the cambelt and tensioners as well? The costs of the parts is minimal in comparison to the labour involved.
You could be right in seeking an alternative garage. (y)
Agreed. They would have had to remove the timing belt and disturb the tensioner pulley to replace the water pump and the belt and pulleys should be replaced if removed, so you have been on borrowed time ever since the water pump was changed.

Although Fiat quote a maximum mileage before the timing belt change is due, unless you are doing a high annual mileage the overriding time based interval is every 5 years maximum, 4 years for heavy duty use which includes short journeys, frequent periods of idling, towing, use predominantly in cold temperatures etc.

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Strangely the Peugeot 160bhp engine fitted to my Bailey states change belt at 10yrs.

Ninja.....Your above post gave me a ray of hope! I have a 2017 Bailey Autograph 79-4T with the 2.0 160 bhp Peugeot Boxer engine. Would this be the same as yours? Is the 10 yr belt change gospel and definitely confirmed or something you've overheard in the pub??

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Don’t be fooled by Fiat parts.
The parts would be reboxed and labelled Fiat.

Possibly Gates or similar parts supplier.
I have got quotes from 2 other places. M& D in Bristol £250 + VAT !!
I gave engine details and year. Does that include water pump ? says I No he says , we don’t get involved with that , it is part of the fuel system! Really ? says I. Yes he says, I did my MH and didn’t touch the water pump. OK, I’ll think about it says I .

Then The Dotties independent in Gloucester G and M motors. Quote with parts including water pump £650 plus £200 for service and MOT including VAT. Knew exactly what engine and he was impressed when I asked him what parts and he said Gates and I said ah yes, they have been recommended! So we don’t have to rush up at crack of dawn, we are taking it for 10 am and collecting next day , I think we would have to have taken car anyway as it’s on old airfield.
So I think I have obtained the lowest, the highest and the middle quote (y)
Thanks for all your replies, I will update once done

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a quote via "Who can Fix my Car" for Cam belt and water pump £477.72 in the Coventry area, phoned the Garage and gave the full details of my Motorhome and they confirmed the price for the parts and labour

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just had a quote via "Who can Fix my Car" for Cam belt and water pump £477.72 in the Coventry area, phoned the Garage and gave the full details of my Motorhome and they confirmed the price for the parts and labour
Does that include VAT ?

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
That's the other thing. I was told I needed to change the tensioner and the water pump too.
There is a reason why they sell Cam belt kits, water pump, roller and tensioner can become ceased, and the belt can have small cracks, so while down there changing the belt, might as well change the rest, why risk a blown engine for a few hundred.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Always change them. I think most come as a kit.
They do, we used to sell OEM's but also gates, which were cert by the manufacturers, only twice in tens years did we need to make a claim underer the Gates warranty. we had seen a lot of failed bearings & belts, where the owners did not change them in time, some engines were really bad, most owners could not afford a replacement engine, and sometimes had to wait a long time before a second hand one came up.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Having had a belt snap on me at 26,000 miles on a 12 year old ducato (and this was the second cam belt, I believe the previous owner had left the motorhome standing for some time which led to the belt decay) and the cost of engine rebuild plus recovery I stick to the "five year rule". The belt that snapped looked in great condition, and the snap was a clean cut across its width, so a visible inspection beforehand would have not shown any concerns. I've got it booked in for the 4th cambelt in two weeks time, plus water pump (engine will be 22 years old and 33,000 miles).

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Having had a belt snap on me at 26,000 miles on a 12 year old ducato (and this was the second cam belt, I believe the previous owner had left the motorhome standing for some time which led to the belt decay) and the cost of engine rebuild plus recovery I stick to the "five year rule". The belt that snapped looked in great condition, and the snap was a clean cut across its width, so a visible inspection beforehand would have not shown any concerns. I've got it booked in for the 4th cambelt in two weeks time, plus water pump (engine will be 22 years old and 33,000 miles).
33000 miles in 22 years I would be surprised if a lot of the seals elsewhere on the van have not hardened off or the brake callipers along with other components are not sticking with the amount of time it appears to be standing still.

Vehicles suffer badly from extended periods of non use without proper pre rest preparation. , which you may well do of course.

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
33000 miles in 22 years I would be surprised if a lot of the seals elsewhere on the van have not hardened off or the brake callipers along with other components are not sticking with the amount of time it appears to be standing still.

Vehicles suffer badly from extended periods of non use without proper pre rest preparation. , which you may well do of course.
Hi Phil, I've now owned it for 7 years and used it every 3 weeks and a lot of home maintenance and local garage work done. Worst things to date (if you exclude the cambelt!!) was the wiper motor burning out, the horn and screen wash pump needed replacing, and the rear bump stops on the springs perished. Its a fair point, with older purchases you need to be vigilante.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've not had a cam belt go but I did have a drive belt snap on a Harley, it was a clean break and the belt looked like new, luckily it broke at the top of a hill near home so I was able to get it home and replace the belt, the previous summer we had ridden the bike to Spain so I think we were very lucky it didn't go then.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there.
I was told that Fiat ducato engines that do low mileages should have oil and filter change every year. Apparently the oil absorbs moisture and can let go.
Given a new engine costs an arm and a leg, these costs are worth the investment.
D

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Hi there.
I was told that Fiat ducato engines that do low mileages should have oil and filter change every year. Apparently the oil absorbs moisture and can let go.
Given a new engine costs an arm and a leg, these costs are worth the investment.
D
As a rule I personally change all 4 of our vehicles oil and filters every year. For the low cost and short time to do it its worth it.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
My understanding from car ownership ... never, ever scrimp on cambelt changes. And at the same time change the auxiliary belts, tensioner and water pump too.
Cambelt failure is rare but if you have it, it’s likely you’ll need an entire new engine.
And very often it’s the auxiliary belts that give way and their failure causes the Cambelt to fail.
so if manual says to do it, personally I’d do it ?
Would definitely agree 👍 💯

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back