Cambelt change at 5 years (3 Viewers)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
When I registered my 2019 van it was already over a year old - so should I change it after four years now?

My Eco tech Ford engine has a timing belt running in oil!!! :Eeek:
Its recommended to be changed at 150K miles - or ten years:clap2:
I'ts at eight years and 27K miles - what to do?
These engines are apparently self destructed by the belt shedding rubber into the oil, blocking the sump pick up filter and starving themselves of oil.
A friend of mine has the Transit version and is currently being recalled.

Look up ‘Ford wet cam belt’ on YouTube.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
When I registered my 2019 van it was already over a year old - so should I change it after four years now?

You got two more years, I would wait if I were you, and don't forget you also have to change the small oil pump belt at the same time, so you can get out there and enjoy more of the MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You got two more years, I would wait if I were you, and don't forget you also have to change the small oil pump belt at the same time, so you can get out there and enjoy more of the MH.
That's the plan ---- I do 8k miles every year in the van and less than 4k in mi car.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
That has to be a chain. No metal belt.. no need to change.
My main dealer offered to change my chain at 30k for a small fee of £3k.
Needless to say I don't go there any more. Fortunately I have found an excellent local garage for all my servicing and repairs.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My main dealer offered to change my chain at 30k for a small fee of £3k.
Needless to say I don't go there any more. Fortunately I have found an excellent local garage for all my servicing and repairs.
There are a number of people on the van forums that have reported chains stretching and causing major problems.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
There are a number of people on the van forums that have reported chains stretching and causing major problems.
I agree there will come a time when even a chain will need to be replaced, but after a lot more than 30k.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
So you are advised to change the cambelt at 5 years, and you don't!! Because it cost say £500, I have repaired the damage a broken cambelt has done you wouldn't see going over the time or recommend mileage, 2 reasons if I was over the change recommended I would sit there in the driving or relaxing !! Or worse, your hundreds of miles from home thinking will it snap , ( I'm supposed to be on a relaxing holiday!! )

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
So you are advised to change the cambelt at 5 years, and you don't!! Because it cost say £500, I have repaired the damage a broken cambelt has done you wouldn't see going over the time or recommend mileage, 2 reasons if I was over the change recommended I would sit there in the driving or relaxing !! Or worse, your hundreds of miles from home thinking will it snap , ( I'm supposed to be on a relaxing holiday!! )
Who are you replying to Tony50 ?

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The following is from a print out from a Fiat Professional garage in relation to our 2.3L,140hp Ducato.

Replace toothed timing belt.
Maximum recommended mileage 192,000km. Regardless of the mileage, the timing drive belt must be changed every 4 years for use in heavy conditions (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Dear God I'd have trouble sleeping if I had a vehicle with that rubbish in.
Sell it before it eats itself & needs a new engine.
* as Hettie's Crew already said.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
They say there is always an exception to the rule.
Last year we viewed a 2012 A class Pilote that had the 2.3 Ducato engine that had covered approximately 60k, we asked when the cam belt was last changed, still on the original belt the owner replied. Further questioning revealed that the servicing had been done by a mate, no receipts, needless to say we swerved that one. It’s still for sale, but now with Motorhome depot, I have no idea if it’s been properly serviced since.

Interestingly the Hymer we did buy is fitted with the Fiat/Iveco 3L engine that has a cam chain which we are pleased about. So we were somewhat surprised to find in the vehicles paperwork a garage receipt for a recent cam belt change !

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Reactions: 68c
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Last year we viewed a 2012 A class Pilote that had the 2.3 Ducato engine that had covered approximately 60k, we asked when the cam belt was last changed, still on the original belt the owner replied. Further questioning revealed that the servicing had been done by a mate, no receipts, needless to say we swerved that one. It’s still for sale, but now with Motorhome depot, I have no idea if it’s been properly serviced since.

Interestingly the Hymer we did buy is fitted with the Fiat/Iveco 3L engine that has a cam chain which we are pleased about. So we were somewhat surprised to find in the vehicles paperwork a garage receipt for a recent cam belt change !

CAVEAT EMPTOR.
My Autosleeper Broadway has the 3L Iveco engine. I am sure that you will be happy with the performance.

Ianb

Free Member
Aug 31, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Globecar
Exp
2 Years
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Funster thoughts please :)
I changed my cam belt on Ducato at 7 year. It still looked in great condition. I’m sure it would have gone on for longer without issue.
Not a huge amount of room on this van for access. Garage can do it next time.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I changed the belt & pump on my last van at 30k miles /. 5 years. The belt was fine, however one of the pulley bearings was shot.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
They suggest changing the timing chain in my Renault at 200k miles, ah well only another 100,000 miles to do !
Hey Gus, I've watched a few car repair videos on YouTube and the consensus for those small EcoTec engines is that a replacement engine is the only option for some of its issues. To your average mechanic, that seems ludicrous, but I bet Ford upper management think it's a great idea ?
I too was surprised when I found out about the "wet belt" setup. I'm not sure what their thinking is behind the design, but it looks like it's problematic ?

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Strangely the Peugeot 160bhp engine fitted to my Bailey states change belt at 10yrs.

I had this dilemma on my Audi A6 - Manual say change at 5 yrs or some colossal mileage. I did not do even 30k by 5yrs so extended this out to 7yrs. I am sure manufacturers must have decided on cam belts instead of chains as a sweeter to their dealers. Cost me £550 buy a independent. The main dealer wanted over £750. Money for old rope/belts!
I’ve had mine seven years and didn’t think of it until January when I asked I was told it should have been done at five years. Fiat wanted £1,500. But I’ve just found a company who do coaches, horse boxes and Motorhomes in Redhill and have asked on here if anybody is familiar with their work. They are less than half what was quoted by Fiat.
I'm also hearing that as mine is an 04’ it would be a gates kit rather than Fiat parts but that is what Fiat said they would be using. If I can get some feedback as to the Redstonefleetcare company I am leaning toward them? Any advice would be appreciated as I’m stressing about getting it right and not blowing my engine.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
The last few years before retirement I worked in a Auto Parts shop, we sold all OEM products plus Gates too. and a lot of OEM products sold and installed by dealers were Gates manufactured, Gates have a good warranty, we even had one customer who had a new belt fitted, which snapped (we suspected it was fitted wrong) with in the month, he made a claim under the warranty, they gave him a full refund on a refurbed Engine, Parts & labour, not many companies would have done that, they would have tried to get out of it some how.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
The following is from a print out from a Fiat Professional garage in relation to our 2.3L,140hp Ducato.

Replace toothed timing belt.
Maximum recommended mileage 192,000km. Regardless of the mileage, the timing drive belt must be changed every 4 years for use in heavy conditions (cold climates, town use, long periods of idling) or at least every 5 years.
That’s correct (based on my Manual) but they have a table above this with timing intervals for various service items. The dot for timing belt change is at the 96 month interval for 130/150 multi jet. I would think they mean that the change for all usages should be 60 months but it is a source of confusion
tk

75457074-64C6-4191-B4A9-D1903B3C38AD.jpeg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004

CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Are you absolutely certain you have a chain? Obviously someone is telling porkies, either the guy who sold it to you or the garage that said they fitted the new belt.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Are you absolutely certain you have a chain? Obviously someone is telling porkies, either the guy who sold it to you or the garage that said they fitted the new belt.
The Iveco 3L engines have a chain, so we know the garage has defrauded the previous owner. I did tell him but after a less than brilliant introduction to retirement motorhoming I don’t think he had the enthusiasm for a dispute.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Took mine in today for a new cam belt (2004 Boxer), mini service and brake check. Garage called to say there's an oil leak somewhere that's covered the belt, also the rear drums are seized on - and they haven't got the necessary kit to deal with either issue. Second time they've said they can't do the job, but again no charge.

Drove it home really gently and next week it's off to Adams Morey where they have the really big hammers. Not looking forward to the bill for this one, but having spent around £1500 less than I expected on the gearbox I will attempt a philosophical approach .... and single malt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back