Brittany ferries Bilbao to Portsmouth EHU (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We used two pin.

I have read on here they don't allow it anymore but I suspect if you find the right chap when you are loading you will be ok.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Negative response too. We did meet someone who had a small 12/240 volt cool box, and wheeled it in on a small folding sack barrow to plug it in, in his cabin. An idea for next time for us.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We had our Caravan plugged in on the Cap finistre in February this year , I was parked along with all the Trucks inside on the Freight deck against the outside hull of the ship and there was 4 standard blue sockets .
I asked the question and was told to wait until the ships sparky came and plugged me in , he duly arrived and routed my cable so it wouldn’t trip anyone up
Fridge and freezer nice and cold on arrival in Bilbao 24 hours later (y)(y)

I think you just have be lucky asking the right person

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The last twice I've asked I've been refused.
I'm going to freeze some uht milk and leave it in fridge should be nicely thawed by the time we dock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
It’s about time BF started to offer this service even for a nominal fee
I believe Irish ferry do offer EHU if it’s booked in advance

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This is what I've just had from customer service.
Screenshot_20170923-214257.png

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I had medication that needed to be kept cold in the fridge and they still refused me. Had to take it to the information desk where they stored it in their fridge for the whole journey.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Also, from the Schaudt Electrobloc EBL99 manual:-

The mains supply on board car ferries might not always be perfect. Therefore,
never connect the Electrobloc to the mains on car ferries. Otherwise,
the Electrobloc, the 12 V consumers or other connected equipment might
get damaged.

I appreciate that the above may largely be ar$e covering by Schauldt, but it's maybe worth considering. The HGV fridge units use it all the time, but maybe they are built of sterner stuff. After all, they run on generators the rest of the time. Also not all car ferries are created equal - nor stay equal 30 years on!

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Brittany only use cow's milk.......a major problem for those who cannot tolerate dairy...they did offer to put some in the fridge in the kitchen though.....one of the other very good reasons for driving down through the beautiful French countryside:D

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Cap Finistere has limited electrical power supply. It cannot cope with the demands of the ship and passengers (might help if they swapped halogen for LED).

So you will be fortunate if you get someone to hook you up with her.

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Am I missing something here, will your fridges not run on 12v or Gas ?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Gas has to be turned off on the ferry, in terms and conditions. Electric 12V only works when engine is running.
I freeze everything I can, butter, cheese in small portions as it doesn't sem to last too well after freezing but tastes ok. Freezer compartment packed full and on coldest setting for 24 hours prior to trip, bottles of frozen water and milk and cool blocks in the fridge. Don't open the door of the freezer after packing and try not to open the fridge. Should be fine for durtion of the trip. We leave fridge on gas at the docks until our line starts moving too.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
YES - you are missing something!

As scotsuze says, you have to turn off the gas supply on board all of their ferries.

AND as far as 12 volts is concerned - even if it were possible to operate the fridge without the engine running - which it isn't unless re-wired - your battery would be flat in no time.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
YES - you are missing something!

As scotsuze says, you have to turn off the gas supply on board all of their ferries.

AND as far as 12 volts is concerned - even if it were possible to operate the fridge without the engine running - which it isn't unless re-wired - your battery would be flat in no time.

Never turned off the gas on a ferry, but I only do the channel, and my fridge in my 7.5 Tonner was wired to run off 12v even when standing , as I had 2 huge leisure batteries, it was never an issue. I didn't know that the 12v only ran while the engine was running, pretty sure my Euramobil will run on 12v on the lowest setting all the time, but need to check.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Never turned off the gas on a ferry, but I only do the channel, and my fridge in my 7.5 Tonner was wired to run off 12v even when standing , as I had 2 huge leisure batteries, it was never an issue. I didn't know that the 12v only ran while the engine was running, pretty sure my Euramobil will run on 12v on the lowest setting all the time, but need to check.

Thanks @PhilG You have just given me an idea for a good use of the battery master I removed. Fit it, with an override switch, as a bypass to the 12volt fridge power relay to keep the fridge running on battery when engine off and also prevent draining the leisure battery bank. I knew I would find a use for it one day (y)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Thanks @PhilG You have just given me an idea for a good use of the battery master I removed. Fit it, with an override switch, as a bypass to the 12volt fridge power relay to keep the fridge running on battery when engine off and also prevent draining the leisure battery bank. I knew I would find a use for it one day (y)

Glad my total lack of knowledge did somebody a favour.

As a genuine question, re solar power, would the lights on the decks below give anything with regards a charge ? Asking for a friend ...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Naked flame plus tanks full of petrol in a confined space does not sound like a healthy combination but i know some silly people do it and get away with it BUSBY.,,but one day ????

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't see why unless you have food in the freezer the fridge needs to be on,,surley the temp in fridge will only drop a couple of degrees in a 24 hour journey and your food will still be safe,,,BUSBY,,

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
As a genuine question, re solar power, would the lights on the decks below give anything with regards a charge ? Asking for a friend ...

I very much doubt it but will look at my solar output the next time I am on a ferry.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I suppose if you have a particularly large battery capacity you could manage, particularly if you have a compressor rather than absorption fridge.

In my youth I killed an engine battery in a matter of hours when running a fridge in the car, whilst at the beach. Returned from a pleasant time to discover the vehicle wouldn't start! Flat as a pancake.... :(

Realised how much current they can draw and wary ever since.

I suspect you might find in the terms and conditions, that the gas supply has to be isolated whichever ferry company is being used.

The fridge on a long crossing - to Spain, for example - is not really an issue, provided the general advice in this thread is followed. Certainly not for us anyway. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back