Blue badge in Europe

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by Andy Grisswell, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Andy Grisswell

Andy Grisswell

Ratings:
    +4
    could anyone tell me if you can get any discount on toll roads using the blue disabled badge and if so what the procedures are?

2. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,429
    I believe there was a thread on this a little while back
    Re : discounts in France ,can't copy/paste on this old tablet but you could try the search bar top left
    Good luck

3. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,665
    It says on the autoroutes.fr website that a class 2 vehicle that has been adapted for use by a disable person, and the adaption is shown on the registration papers, can pay class 1 rates.
    We travel with friends who have a blue badge and they do not get a reduction.

4. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +5,665
    Have found this in the post referred to above

Yes. Blue badge holders who have a Class 2 vehicle (not valid for car + caravan) are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate if the vehicle is adapted for disabled persons. However, in order to be charged at Class 1 rate in the automated lane, you will need to stop and press the intercom button to request the correct toll to be applied. Alternatively you can use the manual lane and hand over your tag to be scanned. Please note the reduction is applied at the discretion of the particular auto route operator of the toll road you are using. More information can be found athttp://www.autoroutes.fr/en/services-for-disabled-people.htm

Martin

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,429
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +24,376
    Some, but not all French toll routes will give blue badge holders the concession. All French aires are now free to blue badge holders. The vehicle should be registered as disabled tax class and log book will occasionally be asked for. France seems to be the only country giving this concession at the moment.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Andy Grisswell

Andy Grisswell

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you all for the info

8. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +9,312
    Blue badges are treated very sympathetically in France, (Autoroute tolls excepted).

We have been moved to the front of a queue waiting for car park spaces because an attendant saw the badge and knew there was a vacant disabled place available. We couldn't see it from our position in the queue.

Free of charge spaces in car parks are more readily available than in U.K. too.

On their disabled signs (the blue sign with a wheelchair symbol) they also have the wording "Take my space, take my disability" which I think tends to make able bodied drivers think twice before abusing the space.(y):france:

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. boxerdog

boxerdog Funster

Ratings:
    +89
    why should there be discount for blue badges on toll roads its not the person it the vehicle

10. ColinandDawn

ColinandDawn Funster

Ratings:
    +807
    hello @boxerdog

Ref your question - why should there be discount for blue badges on toll roads its not the person it the vehicle?

I have copied my answer to the same question asked on this forum on the 8th June this year.

I have again included a photo of my van so you can see it is very much about the vehicle.

It's a fair question...

The reason the disabled are allowed a reduced toll fee, which requires the vehicle to be in the Disabled class for road tax purposes to qualify, is because the government (toll operator) recognise a significant percentage of the disabled need a van to transport themselves and their wheelchairs about - where the able-bodied use a car.

In the French example they reduce the charge from a Class 2 to a Class 1, this is because a Class 2 is a van and a Class 1 is a car. In fairness, the French system does require the vehicle to have modifications necessary to allow the disabled person to use the vehicle - be they passenger or driver.

In my case I have a Mercedes Sprinter which has both a wheelchair lift and hand controls fitted.

When I first bought the sprinter it was a five-seater mini bus - I converted it to a campervan and registered it as a Motor Caravan with DVLA. It is not registered for disabled road tax but would still comply with the French system.

As you can see the wheelchair lift also doubles as an outdoor table.

Regards,

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  11. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +9,312
    I wonder if you begrudge the disabled benefits?

Most would exchange their benefits in order to retain able-bodied status.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,225
    I think the idea he was getting at is that if you are travelling in a motorhome, disabled or not, then you should pay the appropriate charges.
    I can understand an adapted vehicle, which may, because of it adaptions, be larger than a class 1 vehicle being charged as a class 1 vehicle but can’t understand why you would want other toll users to subsidise you when you are on holiday in a motorhome, adapted or not.
    And just because I think like this, doesn’t mean I would begrudge people with disabilities getting their benefits, as you seem to suggest to others in your post.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  13. Abacist

Abacist Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,466
    Don
    How patronizing of you to think that you and other toll road users are subsidizing the disabled! It's a government concession passed on by the toll companies and nothing to do with you!

14. ColinandDawn

ColinandDawn Funster

Ratings:
    +807
    Hello @boxerdog
    Hello @Allanm

I posted my earlier answer in an attempt to stop this thread becoming another opportunity to have a go at the disabled and disabled Funsters in particular. I hoped having understood the why that would be the end of it.

I truly have no idea why some people take such exception to the blue badge scheme and the benefit it delivers.

Allanm, you can’t understand why we would want other toll users to subsidise us when we are on holiday in a motorhome, adapted or not but @Andy Grisswell said nothing about motorhomes or any other type of vehicle - you just assumed.

Please, please, please try to understand, disabled people fight their disability every waking hour - we honestly have enough to be going on with without having to put up with brickbats on what is a FUN forum.

regards,

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  15. boxerdog

boxerdog Funster

Ratings:
    +89
    my reply has nothing to do with disability it is the fact that every vehicle if on the toll roads should pay the same fee.

16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,225
    Not patronising at all, just a view, sorry if you have a problem with other peoples views.
    Colinanddawn, I mentioned Motorhomes because the link to Snowbirds post was concerned with Motorhomes and concessions for vans with blue badges on Aires.
    I have no problem with blue badge holders getting concessions when appropriate as long as they are used correctly and as the scheme intended.

17. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Funster

Ratings:
    +194
    Why? A disabled moho owner may need a larger or heavier van as a result of their disability, or indeed be unable to camp in a tent and need a moho instead of a car as a result.
    Mind you if you want to complain about subsidising I would suggest you turn your frustrations to road haulier charges which bear little relation to the relative wear and tear they cause to roads - there is lots of evidence about this, and in truth road tax, and tolls should be several thousand times higher for lorries compared to cars and vans. eg http://facweb.knowlton.ohio-state.edu/pviton/courses2/crp776/776-roads-handout.pdf

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  18. boxerdog

boxerdog Funster

Ratings:
    +89
    as stated it is not about disabled drivers be it moho car or truck you use the toll road you should pay the rate
    if you dont want to pay the charge dont use.

19. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Funster

Ratings:
    +194
    but if they need a larger vehicle as direct result of their disability why should they be penalised for having a disability by having to pay more than they would have done if they did not have the disability? Most disability benefits are there to try and level the playing field so that the disabled person is closer to being equal to an able bodied person, rather than giving them a 'perk'.

20. boxerdog

boxerdog Funster

Ratings:
    +89
    no one is being penalised you choose to drive on toll roads you pay that going charge dont see where you are trying to go with your reply