Bit of a long winded story, bear with me.... (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My front tyres have loads of tread on..... and the back more so... but with most front wheel drive vehicles bought second hand...

Car/Motor-home or whatever, The first thing I have done is get the front`s changed, because they are the ones that take most stick..

Went down to my friends today to see about getting the front`s changed... and he tells me that the wrong tyres have been fitted to the vehicle... and proceeded to show and tell me that most PVC start life as a commercial vehicle..

And the tyre`s fitted are for that purpose (Commercial)... he then showed me the right tyre for the vehicle in the shape of a PVC..

Which is stamped on the wall of the tyre... "Camper Van"...

It`s all some thing to do with tyre pressure...

Chances are nothing would ever happen.... but.... I am not going to tempt the devil, with my luck.. and as he said if anything were to happen.... the insurance would try and whittle their way out even on a technicality such as this...

I have used this firm for over 50 years, and pretty sure they would not try and con me..... they have always replaced my tyres except when we had Yank RV`s and 5th wheels.... where we used Brian Evans, a member on here...

Just posted this for information, not for you to have a go at me... :rock: :lipssealed::smiley:

Couple of photo`s off mine.... The "C" is for COMMERCIAL... Not Camper....
DSC02241 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02244 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02245 (600 x 450).jpg

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Goody another tyre / pressure thread!!!

The number which really matters is the load rating which is 116 which equates to 1250kgs so you need to check if your axle weight is under 2500kg usually the rear is heavier than the front.

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
AFAIC there is nothing wrong with those tyres, think you need to find a new friend. 😳

As said............ "Posted For Information"....

So not going to get into some argument about the for and where for`s...

I have seen the Michelin guide and the Continental one..

So will be guided by them that knows and are in the tyre business... :Smile:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As said............ "Posted For Information"....

So not going to get into some argument about the for and where for`s...

I have seen the Michelin guide and the Continental one..

So will be guided by them that knows and are in the tyre business... :Smile:

I think I posted something similar after taking to a very knowledgeable man at Continental. It caused quite a "discussion" on here. But I'm with you on this one Mo. Esp. the bit about an Insurance Co. trying to wriggle out of a claim because of wrong tyres fitted.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Always thought it was recommended to have the tyres with the most tread on the rear, i.e. helps to prevent rear wheels losing adhesion.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
In 40 years of owning a camper(coach built)mainly I have always had fitted “van tyres”! Never had a problem nor a puncture!and towed a racing car on the back a lot of the time!Set of tyres I had fitted last year replaced ones that were 10 years old.Even the tyre fitter remarked on their condition inside and out!Someone will tell me why camper tyres are better and twice the price!

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
But they are fitted by the van maker ,not the the converter.who just leaves them on for a pvc conversion ,it's still essentially a van,with a built in load.like it's meant to take,unlike a motorhome that just used the chassis and gets all sorts plonked on top and extended onto it That's why the latter need camper tyres,not a van/ pvc . (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Always thought it was recommended to have the tyres with the most tread on the rear, i.e. helps to prevent rear wheels losing adhesion
My dad always told me to put the best tyres on the driven wheels, ie front.
Seems this was perhaps not the best advice but it worked on my mini 1275.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Old-Mo,
sorry but your mate is wrong, Van tyres have a stronger side wall than Camper van tyres, which are designed to be stood still in storage for months on end. A PVC by its very nature is likely to be used much more regularly than say an A class so Van tyres, fitted to all the white delivery vans in the country are expected to be running most days with variable loading, so will stand up Better than Campervan tyres and the tread will probably last longer. My Continentals Van tyres have 24000 on them with loads of tread left.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our ambulance came with van tyres, they had only changed them 6 months before they sold it, still on and still like new, if they are good enough for the ambulance service they are good enough for me.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Old-Mo,
sorry but your mate is wrong, Van tyres have a stronger side wall than Camper van tyres, which are designed to be stood still in storage for months on end. A PVC by its very nature is likely to be used much more regularly than say an A class so Van tyres, fitted to all the white delivery vans in the country are expected to be running most days with variable loading, so will stand up Better than Campervan tyres and the tread will probably last longer. My Continentals Van tyres have 24000 on them with loads of tread left.

Our Coachbuilt has 38,000 miles on it and something like 6mm tread or more left on each tyre. Will be changing them this winter, but only as they are 7 years old.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Our Coachbuilt has 38,000 miles on it and something like 6mm tread or more left on each tyre. Will be changing them this winter, but only as they are 7 years old.

Commercial or Camper Van tyre...????

Mine have approx 5 mm on the back and about 3.5 on the front... (Commercial) and only done just over 15K..

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
But they are fitted by the van maker ,not the the converter.who just leaves them on for a pvc conversion ,it's still essentially a van,with a built in load.like it's meant to take,unlike a motorhome that just used the chassis and gets all sorts plonked on top and extended onto it That's why the latter need camper tyres,not a van/ pvc . (y)
My Frankia A class came with Pirelli Chrono van tyres from the factory, I will post a thread about my recent tyre purchase. Sorry to have stepped on your toes old-mo.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
nothing wrong with them all that matters is load rating and they are commercial tyres . White van man would run that van at 3.5t+ just because it’s a camper makes no difference.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I would pay more attention to the tread pattern if I were you have you got a photo of that, that’s what I always look for on a Motorhome tyre, as long as the axle load rating is correct then the tread is the most important.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I would pay more attention to the tread pattern if I were you have you got a photo of that, that’s what I always look for on a Motorhome tyre, as long as the axle load rating is correct then the tread is the most important.
But if the tyres are getting a bit old, look forcracking in the side walls. My Michelin Agilis had good tread left in them but side walls were cracking. I changed to Hankook van tyres with the appropriate load rating.

And……I believe the new wisdom is to have the best tyres on the axle with the highest load rating. On a clab built this will be the rear,but not always on a pvc.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

Mine have approx 5 mm on the back and about 3.5 on the front... (Commercial) and only done just over 15K..

They are Continental Vanco2s, they have the C in after the sizes. So guess they are commercial, but at least I could say to the insurance Co. Well I'm not an expert in tyres, but as these were fitted when I bought the MH new I assumed they met the relevant type testing.

Side walls closely check a couple of weeks ago, absolutely fine.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
But if the tyres are getting a bit old, look forcracking in the side walls. My Michelin Agilis had good tread left in them but side walls were cracking. I changed to Hankook van tyres with the appropriate load rating.

And……I believe the new wisdom is to have the best tyres on the axle with the highest load rating. On a clab built this will be the rear,but not always on a pvc.
As I did with my Alpins, fitted them thinking I would use the van during the winter and didn’t.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

You are probably aware that in Respect if tyre wear, you manner of driving will have an effect on wear, if you brake a lot rather like if you accelerate heavily uses more fuel, braking wears the tyre faster. So someone who looks ahead along the road and anticipates having to brake and easies off the gas pedal, then less braking thus saves fuel and tyre wear, but I am sure I don’t really need to tell you that 😉

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
As I understand it the real only difference between C rated tyres and Camper tyres at like for like load ratings is the Camper ones have a better resistance to
UV degradation as the vehicle likely to be left standing in daylight for longer periods.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As I understand it the real only difference between C rated tyres and Camper tyres at like for like load ratings is the Camper ones have a better resistance to
UV degradation as the vehicle likely to be left standing in daylight for longer periods.
I don’t get that,perhaps I’m being thick. Why do camper tyres get more sunlight? Lots of vans outside all day every day in sun and all weathers. Lots of sun in Spain…..do they have different tyres there for all their vehicles …….I don’t think so.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I don’t get that,perhaps I’m being thick. Why do camper tyres get more sunlight? Lots of vans outside all day every day in sun and all weathers. Lots of sun in Spain…..do they have different tyres there for all their vehicles …….I don’t think so.
Nobody said they get more sunlight only that they might be slightly less likely to suffer from sidewall cracking if left standing in daylight, tyres composition tends to alter depending on the environment of the country they are destined for, for example the tyres from Japan tend to have a higher silicone content the ones destined for the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back